New Maps/Minions

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

LuckyBob69

10-18-2010

I've been looking around a bit but haven't seen any threads regarding new maps, so I thought I'd make one.

I'm not talking about reskins of the older maps (but the work on them is awesome riot, keep it up!), but rather completely new maps.

There's probably an unthinkable amount of work that goes into creating a balanced map for implementation, and coming up with something that isn't just the same as twisted treeline or summoner's rift is probably a difficult task for the people at Riot to focus on, but nevertheless, something needs to be done.

For one, it might be fun to allow 1v1 matches in the tutorial map. It's already there, and I've done 1v1s before that were pretty fun, maybe having a map devoted to it would be an awesome idea. Same goes for a 2v2 map, nothing beats having a best bud to go head-to-head against another pair of champions.

The biggest problem I see in creating new maps is A) number of players, B) number of lanes, C) theme and D) making it relevant.

A and B go hand in hand, and the number of players so far has always been more than the number of lanes, but never double. If possible, a four-man, 3-lane map should be implemented, or maybe even maps with more than five players (7-man, four lanes anyone?). As with twisted treeline, you could vary the amount of xp and ip gain per map to make it more or less relevant (D covered). One possibility to toy around with for the laning situation could be to make a certain lane spawn more minions, or bigger minions, or fewer/weaker minions to allow for less lanes and more champs.

Theme is gonna be more reliant on the art team than anything, but there's already a great rubric in place. The current conflicts are between Demacia and Noxus, but what about the other conflicts? What about Ionia vs. Noxus, or even Bilgewater coming into the fray? Having a couple new sets of minions with maps of their homeland to fight for would be amazing and would greatly diversify the lack of maps to use.

But I'm getting ahead of myself. It's just a brainstorm, post your thoughts and maybe something can come of this.

colloquial

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Emissary of the League

10-18-2010

There is a new map that is rumoured to come out sometime next month that Riot has already released teaser information for. There is not a hard release date yet though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByronicHero View Post
Inside the Magma Chamber!

If there's one thing that we've learned about Runeterrans, it's that they're huge cartography enthusiasts. We get more requests for maps than we do just about anything else in League of Legends. So, without further ado, allow me to give you a sneak peek at an upcoming Field of Justice that we're calling: The Magma Chamber.

Deep within the obsidian mountain from which the Institute of War is sculpted lies the League’s most intense Field of Justice to date – the Magma Chamber. Before the time of the League, the Chamber was the heart of a powerful, but now dormant, volcano. Ancient magma flows cut out a gigantic cavernous room that the League has reshaped for its own purposes. This battle arena was built specifically to address the increasing number of disputes between Demacia and Noxus. It is one of the largest Fields of Justice found anywhere on Valoran. To that end, teleporting platforms provide champions with the ability to rapidly relocate to strategic points in the arena. The magic-infused stone and cooled magma that dominates the structure of the arena will force champions to work together more closely in pushing toward the enemy’s nexus. It will be harder for a champion to rely on their summoner to traverse hazards and obstacles. The League is preparing this Field of Justice to be the premier arena for its use; as such, a slew of new monsters and minions await champions in what will surely be their greatest challenge yet.

CrazyLikeAFox

10-18-2010

I think 7 man, 4 lane would be hilarious. Team ganks would be so crazy. You could get a 7v1. That would be SICK!. The map would be so huge, and champs like panth, tf, and shen would be so OP on that map.

c33tz

10-19-2010

Some new maps would be great, I don't see it being very hard. One can simply create any series of towers and paths and mirror it to be symmetric to both sides and I think Riot is more than capable of dishing out tons of unique, well balanced maps (for the guy above me, 7v7 might be a bit much and would require new game search functions, but would be entertaining I'm sure but a lot of effort/time to invest to get it going).

"U" shaped 3v3's, with creeps in the middle of U and on edges would be fun (perhaps with a forked path on the lower part of the U creating a 1,1,2 tower shape).

A single column with assorted side paths would be great for 3v3 and 5v5, tug of war sort of idea. (i know people already play like this in some cases, would be cool to have a map to enforce it)

A 2,2,1 kind of map would be neat, having the first tower being a fork to two more paths, then the main base

Just some suggestions, I think it would really expand the variety/limits of LoL in general, and keep things creative and unique.

(i could probably draw out a map out some of these briefly if u dont get what i mean above, but all would be balanced and fun)

LuckyBob69

10-19-2010

I'm glad about the conrstuctive and informative responses in regards to new maps, but what about some more concrete ideas? What kind of environments would the fights take place in, since we already have two forests?

What about the thought of new minion vs. minion fights, not just purple vs. blue? Ionia could be red or white with a more "oriental" feel to the minions based off of Yi's custom skin, and Bilgewater could be a new green, orange, or brown look on cutlass-carrying pirates or the like (cannon is already there, piece of cake).

I'd propose a battleground with Demacia vs. Bilgewater in a port town kind of setting, with rubbish and trash acting like the bushes in some parts of the lanes, one lane could have the ocean as it's natural barrier on the outer wall of the arena with maybe a ship or two there for scenery. The walls around the lanes and the "jungle" could be made out of shops, buildings, ships, etc. and basically things that give it a more "Bilgewater" feel to it. But this is again just brainstorming.

Ionia could follow the same pattern, having the battleground on the border of Ionia with Noxus invading from their war camp at their base. The Ionian side could have a unique eastern feel to it, plenty of shrubs for brush, eastern buildings and bamboo forests, maybe even a panda!

As a final thought, what about Bandle City as a battleground?