Should Rito compensate players to account for rune changes?

Yes, that would be nice. 10 58.82%
Nah, unnecessary. 7 41.18%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Rune viability

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

deMuslim

05-05-2014

Hey community/Rito,

It has been a while since the pre-season 4 changes that made supports earn gold at much higher rates with the addition of new items and masteries. There have been a few balance changes since but nothing major.

In addition, there was a recent (major) change to a significant number of runes. Ones that immediately come to mind as having made a huge impact on gameplay are attack speed runes (major buff to reds and quints), flat armor yellows (nerf), scaling armor yellows (major buff), and scaling CDR blues (buff). With these changes, people run very different setups for the most part and some runes have become obsolete. Personally, I find it kinda sucky that runes I invested in so heavily long ago are now worthless.

Could we perhaps be given out some rune-only refunds? If that isn't possible, refunds in general will work. There are a lot of runes I have fallen behind on having, and the one month sale isn't enough. Made a poll to get the community opinion on this too. Do you guys think Rito should do something to account for the change of value in runes, or is everything fine as is?

deMuslim

05-05-2014

Feel free to express your opinions. Would like to hear input!

deMuslim

05-05-2014

Bump

The Partisan

05-05-2014

Just a thing to note only AS quints were buffed, not reds.

I think the rune sale was a decent length, I got tons of runes during that time. My qualm is that the rune system as it is is pretty terrible and frustrating.

I'm all in favor of making it easier to get runes, don't think a refund is the correct way, no runes were made unviable that were by the changes.

The Partisan

05-05-2014

Here is a video of Phreak detailing how you should think about the rune changes and building your pages. The changes in no way made runes unviable, just less powerful and not crowding out other options as much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2wrwgN9H5w

deMuslim

05-06-2014

I'd argue that gold generation runes are no longer viable after the changes to support itemization. I don't know a single person who uses them; I haven't used them since the season started. But yea we're on the same page to a degree; something needs to change about the rune system. I'm in diamond 5, have been playing for 2 seasons, and I still am sitting on only 7 rune pages with a very small selection of runes.

SpookyGhostsOoo

05-06-2014

You could run Armor reds with Gold yellows and lose only 1 armor. It's probably not optimal on most supports, but I think Gold per yellows have their place.

Whether gold per as a rune right now is as efficient as buying combat stats is another thought entirely. Maybe you want to run some gold per and buy your sight stone early- which makes up for the loss in HP Yellows you were running and pans out to more gold per in the long run. IDK, I'm not you.

Eotw

05-06-2014

Mana regen per level on Veigar.

Now I can actually do more than press Q.

The Partisan

05-07-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by deMuslim View Post
I'd argue that gold generation runes are no longer viable after the changes to support itemization. I don't know a single person who uses them; I haven't used them since the season started. But yea we're on the same page to a degree; something needs to change about the rune system. I'm in diamond 5, have been playing for 2 seasons, and I still am sitting on only 7 rune pages with a very small selection of runes.
That is a meta change not a rune change, I feel that this becomes to much of a grey area to justify a refund by riot.

Yeah I think we are on a similar page. I have around 12 pages and am a total rune addict. They can really have a significant impact on certain matchups and the fact that they cost so much is really a concern for me, especially for people who haven't dumped so much IP like I have to gain that edge and customization.

Kynami

05-07-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpookyGhostsOoo View Post
You could run Armor reds with Gold yellows and lose only 1 armor. It's probably not optimal on most supports, but I think Gold per yellows have their place.

Whether gold per as a rune right now is as efficient as buying combat stats is another thought entirely. Maybe you want to run some gold per and buy your sight stone early- which makes up for the loss in HP Yellows you were running and pans out to more gold per in the long run. IDK, I'm not you.
Even if you run full GP quints, and at least 8 GP yellows for 5 GP/10 from runes alone its only going to add up on average to an additional 1K gold over the course of an entire match. It also leaves you with quite a disadvantage early game considering that you cannot benefit from the gold until you back. Meanwhile the fellow with leveling runes might just be able to all in and immediately cash in on 300g from a kill or a couple assists early and start to snowball.

Armor marks + 1 quint = ~250g of armor (Just marks is ~150g worth of armor)
2 HP/5 quints = 180g of HP/5
9 leveling HP seals = 200g+ by 6th, 600+ by 18th

So really, the question ends up being have your cake now or have to buy it later? Considering that the game has to last over 30 minutes before GP/10 starts being more effective than hard stats for runes.