Why the Tribunal is Unfair

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Skilliard

01-04-2013

1. showing up

Showing up in the tribunal is based off of your report/games ratio. If you are reported a lot more frequently than average, you show up. Sounds great, right? The problem is many players don't know the rules and will report for incorrect reasons, such as if a teammate caused them to lose by making a mistake that threw the game. Nearly every game I play, someone requests that a certain player be reported for playing bad. Only occasionally do I see a request to report for verbal abuse.

People are so used to verbal abuse that they often don't report for it. Additionally, these reports are often only given by the abused player since they are often ganged up on. If you play bad and contribute to them losing, they are likely frustrated and are looking for a scapegoat to take their anger out on by spamming reports. 4 reports is greater than 1, so if 4 people verbally abuse you it's going to outweigh 1 report.

There are plenty of people that are often verbally abusive that have never been banned, and there are players who have done the slightest thing or even nothing, and been banned.

2. Random case and judge sampling

The tribunal selects random games you were reported in as cases. This could end up being that one game where you slipped and acted bad, or games where you were reported for no reason.

Additionally, with the random sampling of judges, you may have a very strict, or very lenient set of judges that will decide the outcome. This leads to inconsistent results especially since people judge by popular/personal opinion and not by the Summoners Code.

So by being reported incorrectly frequently, and by having your random cases be games where you acted abnormally bad, you can effectively be banned for 1 single bad action, and even permanently banned for 2 bad actions since Riot only judges 2 week bans and perma bans, meaning they may see those 2 bad cases and assume that you generally act the way you did in those games.

Skilliard

01-04-2013

bump.

Tempname8956

01-04-2013

NO

Vendorizer

01-04-2013

pwnurface2ic

01-04-2013

deserved

notanxj9smurf

01-04-2013

pfahahahahahahno

Waffles Inc

01-04-2013

If you were banworthy in even one game displayed to Tribunal judges, you deserve a punishment from the Tribunal (perhaps a warning). The system is so overtuned to catch only the worst offenders that chances are many banworthy players aren't getting caught and anybody not worth banning is safe as hell.

I do my share of raging. I take pride in my insults. But I keep it in check for about 98% of my games, and I have never once been in the Tribunal. It's not that hard. You can be a normal person and play League completely fine.

If you're that stupid kid who's constantly screaming in every game about banging somebody else's mom, well, you deserve to be punished. And you still probably won't, because the system is so tuned to catch the worst of the worst.

Auricthunder

01-04-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skillmaster19 View Post
1. showing up

Showing up in the tribunal is based off of your report/games ratio. If you are reported a lot more frequently than average, you show up. Sounds great, right? The problem is many players don't know the rules and will report for incorrect reasons, such as if a teammate caused them to lose by making a mistake that threw the game.
Actually, the fact that it takes report/games ratio instead of, say, a few games where you were reported by 4 people or so, averages out and negates games where players report for frivolous reasons. You may want to rethink this criticism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skillmaster19 View Post
2. Random case and judge sampling

The tribunal selects random games you were reported in as cases. This could end up being that one game where you slipped and acted bad, or games where you were reported for no reason.

Additionally, with the random sampling of judges, you may have a very strict, or very lenient set of judges that will decide the outcome. This leads to inconsistent results especially since people judge by popular/personal opinion and not by the Summoners Code.
The Tribunal works by statistics. If you acted badly in a few games and those games appear in your case, you deserve the punishment for those games if you also on average acted badly enough to get placed in the Tribunal. If you were innocent in the games in your Tribunal case, you'll be pardoned; then you'll probably appear again in the Tribunal if you act badly.

Same thing with the jury. In order to get any serious penalties, you need to be convicted multiple times. It's not one case for a perma-ban, it's a warning, then a few days ban, then a few weeks ban, etc. This helps to average out the jury selection. After all of that, Riot reviews all perma-bans. Again, you might want to rethink your criticism.