[Champion Concept] Baldinir, the Rune Knight

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

The entire team

01-04-2013

Ahh~ another one of these~ I really have to stop, but I just can't. <3 Oh well, on to this concept. Baldinir is a melee autoattacking anti-mage who is great on debuffing his foes and utilizing Rune Charges to deal damage. It'll be kind of a special way to do damage. I mean, who has used runes and glyphs as their power before? No one I know of. He still uses mana but...oh you'll see. I'll just put down his abilities and see what people like about it.

Passive: Rune Charge:

Baldinir gains a Rune Charge every 11 - 7 seconds (Level 1-4 is 11, Level 5-8 is 10, 9-12 is 9, 13-16 is 8, 17 and 18 is 7). Standing still after charging one, cuts the timer to 5 - 3 seconds (Level 1-4 is 5, Level 5-8 is 4.5, 9-12 is 4, 13-16 is 3.5, 17 and 18 is 3 seconds). When Baldinir autoattacks, the recharge timer gets cut by one second per attack. Baldinir can store up to 12 charges within himself. When Baldinir respawns, he starts with 6 charges.

Q: Glyphic Edge/Runic Silencer:

Baldinir stabs his sword through a glyph, dealing magic damage in a line. Rune Silencer is then active for the next 3.5 seconds.
Cast Range: 750
Spell Range: 500

Like Viktor's Death Ray. Your starting point/glyph starts at where your mouse clicks and ends where it has been dragged. However, it has a 0.5 second delay upon casting, but the line damage and cast animation is instant.

Baldinir then uses his Rune Charges to fire explosive bolts from the glyph towards the mouse pointer, dealing magic damage to enemies and marks them with a stack. If enemy champions get hit 3 times, the target is silenced for 1 second and is dealt additional magic damage. Additional Rune Silencers refresh the silence duration.
Cast Range from Glyph: 700
Costs 1 Rune Charge per cast.
Cooldown: 0.5 (not affected by cooldown reduction)

A line skillshot nuke like Lee Sin's Sonic Wave, but explodes upon impact, like Kha'zix's Void Spike explosion radius, which means minions can get hit too.

W: Psychic Force/Runic Tempest:

Baldinir dashes in the speed of wind and blasts a strong telekinetic force in a wide, yet short cone, dealing magic damage and knocked around, and availability for Rune Tempest to activate for 2 seconds.
Dash Range: 750
Cone Range: 400
Cone Width: In front of Baldinir, like a semicircle

Much like Leblanc's Distortion (her dash). The knocked around part is like Rammus's Powerball, or Riven's 3rd cast on her Broken Wings (I just couldn't find the correct wording).

Baldinir then creates a magic glyph on the ground anywhere in a short distance around him and a storm is conjured, slowing enemies in the storm for 3.5 seconds that decays overtime, and giving Baldinir an attack speed boost. The storm stays for 5 seconds.
Storm Size: Around the size of Nasus's Spirit Fire
Costs 4 Rune Charges.
Mana Cost: 0

Ummm, nothing to say here. Just a boost in attack speed, and a nifty slow. Mainly his initiation.

E: Holy Spellblade/Runic Slasher:

Passive: Baldinir's sword becomes enchanted with a strange vampiric curse, absorbing a portion of health from his foes by his basic attacks.

I want him to have at least some sustain, or he'll get focused and die, most likely.

Active: Baldinir's sword empowers itself to spread the vampiric curse towards its foes for 3 seconds, dealing splash magic damage to enemies by dealing basic attacks. He only steals and absorbs health from his single target though. Minions only get half the splash damage, and turrets are not affected by it. Each basic attack while in this mode gains Baldinir a Rune Charge.
Costs 2 Rune Charges to cast.

I want this to be his recharge time in combat, since he doesn't have time to stand still. I was thinking 5 seconds, but considering the amount of attack speed he might get from Rune Tempest, I might want to lower it a little.

R: Runic Valhalla

Baldinir calls upon the power of the gods, summoning his Avatar, the Hell Slayer, to aid him on demolishing his foes. Baldinir channels for 0.5 seconds and summons a gateway glyph that knocks up enemies at a target area. The Hell Slayer is then born for 15 seconds, aiding in Baldinir's autoattacks and abilities. Rune Charge abilities are disabled though.

The Hell Slayer stays behind Baldinir and attacks with his hellish lance, gaining the attack speed of Baldinir and dealing 50% of the damage in each swipe. Baldinir's Holy Spellblade is still only affects the target Baldinir attacks, thus only gaining health from his target.

When Baldinir activates his Glyphic Edge, the Hell Slayer teleports towards the glyph and lunges his lance in the direction of the line, knocking enemies aside.

When Baldinir dashes with his Psychic Force, the Hell Slayer releases otherworldly energy outside his armour, dealing AoE magic damage and granting him and his allies a slowing effect on 3 of their basic attacks, and an attack speed boost to Baldinir.

Costs 8/7/6 Rune Charges to cast.

This has changed to a more empowering ability, as it's a great tool to help Baldinir excel at killing his foes. He at least has a slowing buff to his allies, so that at least shows his importance in team fights. This ability is great for him sticking to his foes.

Well, I hope you like this...umm... ABILITY concept. Comment, thumb, criticize or just say hi

The entire team

01-04-2013

Bump

The entire team

01-05-2013

Bump again -.-

Tael Zenith

01-05-2013

Hi! I'm Tael Zenith and I'm a builder. It doesn't matter what, I just like building things. Right now, I'm a little stuck on champion design; I've got a couple myself but I enjoy working with other peoples also.

Anyway, now to the Nitty-Gritty!
I can't make very precise comments on abilities numbers as I'm not a super awesome mathcrafter; but I have some general QoL questions and comments.

I like the idea of adding new resource and resource-ish mechanics to the game, so the Rune Charges get my stamp of approval!

On the Passive, you give a time frame of seconds/charge; is this random or determined by level? What levels does it go down? (I'm pretty sure I know, but for the kit, the more precise the better!)

Q: I really like this ability! But is the first cast of the Q a skillshot line or does it follow to the mouse? How long does the Rune Silencer Mark last on the enemy champion? Can the silencers hit minions?

W: Initial reaction: Scales way too good for an AoE ability! You say its a dash and an AoE; I assume the AoE targets the area in front of him after he lands his dash? Also, says it deals magic damage and knocked around. What exactly is knocked around? a Debuff? Do you mean knocked up? Knocked back? If its a CC, how long is the CC?

Rune Tempest seems pretty solid; but do you mean the slow decays over 3.5 seconds or its just 3.5 seconds long?

Spell flare blade seems pretty solid also; but with the new Spellsword mastery and that ability; you get extra magic damage on attacks and then effectively +15% of your AP. Sounds a little crazy strong. but again, I'm not a mathcrafter nor do I know what build would be most effective on this guy.

Ulti seems a little... Lack luster. You have all these other neat abilities with multiple effects, but his Ulti is just basically a damage enhancer? Also, it doesn't really specify who the target is. I assume the Champion/Minion/Turret you just auto'ed, but it could be on the next hit, or as an AoE wave.

My main concern with your kit is other then your Q as a skillshot/poke all of your abilities are designed to put your champion right in the enemies face, but you have no innate tankiness/damage mitigation/healing anywhere on this champ, its all just damage and a little bit of CC.

Your champions kit is decent, but at this point he could only be played mid effectively as an AP-Anti Mage assassin and would have a hard time contributing to a team fight without getting burst down.

Lastly, your presentation suffers from a lack of precise wording and a few grammatical errors that make it hard to figure out what you mean.

End Notes: I really like the idea of the Rune Charges and you have a strong concept that just needs some tweaks on the kit.
And as a personal note; when you first post a champion up I would advise against trying to place numbers on any of the abilities, unless you do you research your basically guessing at what looks good; and if you do your research it might be a waste of time if no one feels like reviewing your Champ! (Learned that the hard way, I did).

Nice job, can't want to see some updates!

The entire team

01-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tael Zenith View Post
Hi! I'm Tael Zenith and I'm a builder. It doesn't matter what, I just like building things. Right now, I'm a little stuck on champion design; I've got a couple myself but I enjoy working with other peoples also.

Anyway, now to the Nitty-Gritty!
I can't make very precise comments on abilities numbers as I'm not a super awesome mathcrafter; but I have some general QoL questions and comments.

I like the idea of adding new resource and resource-ish mechanics to the game, so the Rune Charges get my stamp of approval!

On the Passive, you give a time frame of seconds/charge; is this random or determined by level? What levels does it go down? (I'm pretty sure I know, but for the kit, the more precise the better!)

Q: I really like this ability! But is the first cast of the Q a skillshot line or does it follow to the mouse? How long does the Rune Silencer Mark last on the enemy champion? Can the silencers hit minions?

W: Initial reaction: Scales way too good for an AoE ability! You say its a dash and an AoE; I assume the AoE targets the area in front of him after he lands his dash? Also, says it deals magic damage and knocked around. What exactly is knocked around? a Debuff? Do you mean knocked up? Knocked back? If its a CC, how long is the CC?

Rune Tempest seems pretty solid; but do you mean the slow decays over 3.5 seconds or its just 3.5 seconds long?

Spell flare blade seems pretty solid also; but with the new Spellsword mastery and that ability; you get extra magic damage on attacks and then effectively +15% of your AP. Sounds a little crazy strong. but again, I'm not a mathcrafter nor do I know what build would be most effective on this guy.

Ulti seems a little... Lack luster. You have all these other neat abilities with multiple effects, but his Ulti is just basically a damage enhancer? Also, it doesn't really specify who the target is. I assume the Champion/Minion/Turret you just auto'ed, but it could be on the next hit, or as an AoE wave.

My main concern with your kit is other then your Q as a skillshot/poke all of your abilities are designed to put your champion right in the enemies face, but you have no innate tankiness/damage mitigation/healing anywhere on this champ, its all just damage and a little bit of CC.

Your champions kit is decent, but at this point he could only be played mid effectively as an AP-Anti Mage assassin and would have a hard time contributing to a team fight without getting burst down.

Lastly, your presentation suffers from a lack of precise wording and a few grammatical errors that make it hard to figure out what you mean.

End Notes: I really like the idea of the Rune Charges and you have a strong concept that just needs some tweaks on the kit.
And as a personal note; when you first post a champion up I would advise against trying to place numbers on any of the abilities, unless you do you research your basically guessing at what looks good; and if you do your research it might be a waste of time if no one feels like reviewing your Champ! (Learned that the hard way, I did).

Nice job, can't want to see some updates!
Thanks mate! I enjoy your criticisms and complements I'll take up your suggestions and I'll add all the little details I've been missing ^^

The reason the R is lacklustre is because he's an auto-attacking mage (or at least I want him to be, since he needs spells to be a mage). His R is basically a combo along with his basic attacks. But you're right, it's lackluster and I only see it as a basic ability. Although I do have a better idea on how to make it more potent...somehow...

The entire team

01-06-2013

Updated the abilities :0

The entire team

01-06-2013

Bump again :P

The entire team

01-07-2013

Bump again again -.-

The entire team

01-08-2013

The more bumps I make, the more shots I take :3