Dominion's speed shrines changed to discourage feeding?

12
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

OxBaker

Senior Member

01-04-2013

I just noticed a possible upcoming change to the speed shrine of TT. Here's the quote and Nome's response...

Quote:
Interesting change! The speed shrine no longer grants speed unless you pick up the health/mana/energy restoring relic.

Seems to spawn at 1:55 and respawn every 1:30 seconds.

Thoughts or maybe some input from Nome?


By RiotNome:
Trying it out as a replacement for the Speed Shrine. May or may not eventually have a jungle mob spawn at Vilemaw's position as well (until Vilemaw spawns). Speed Shrine had to go though
So it got me wondering, should they consider changing Dominions to something similar to make players a bit more cautious when fighting top knowing that it may take a bit longer to get back if they feed and die? It could create a little more emphasis on coordination and teamwork.

I think there's a bit too much feeding on this map in general and part of the issue is due to players knowing they can get back into the action quick even if they do. Many don't seem to really care how much their feeding sets back their team.

Your thoughts?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Redenbacher

Senior Member

01-04-2013

Anything that makes Dominion passive is a bad thing, in my opinion. The feeding on the map isn't caused by speed shrines, it's caused by inexperienced players making inexperienced decisions. Education will help that issue.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

OxBaker

Senior Member

01-04-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redenbacher View Post
Anything that makes Dominion passive is a bad thing, in my opinion. The feeding on the map isn't caused by speed shrines, it's caused by inexperienced players making inexperienced decisions. Education will help that issue.
Education just doesn't help some people. There are too many that feel so long as they have 15 kills they are justified in having 14 deaths. You question players like that about their feeding and you'll usually hear something like, "gtfo, I'm carrying you noobs".


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Redenbacher

Senior Member

01-04-2013

They'll sift to the bottom of the Elo pool. At least, that's the idea. If one doesn't make an attempt to improve their play, they'll never get better.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

OxBaker

Senior Member

01-04-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redenbacher View Post
They'll sift to the bottom of the Elo pool. At least, that's the idea. If one doesn't make an attempt to improve their play, they'll never get better.
Yeah, I see your point but that's just one aspect. Changing the speed shrine will also encourage more people to play tanks. I wouldn't mind seeing less of the "5 squishy burster" teams that seem to be so prevalent atm. I think the pro's could outweigh the cons.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

VoidInsanity

Senior Member

01-04-2013

It wouldn't make any sense for dom. The only thing that would make sense is if there was a speed shrine behind every tower (where the health relic is) that only worked when you owned that tower or if it had an aura system similar to TT where owning more towers made the aura better (which is a bad idea and will encourage snowballing).


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

KaaaBLAMO

Member

01-04-2013

I'd be interested to see what nerfing or removing the speed shrines would do to the meta. I'm of the opinion that those shrines are one of the main reasons why AD carries as a whole are weak. They can't roam the jungle for obvious reasons, and then a bruiser with 600 movement speed comes running at them, uses some sort of leap/dash/whatever plus a stun or slow and blows them up.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Rapid99

Member

01-04-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaaBLAMO View Post
I'd be interested to see what nerfing or removing the speed shrines would do to the meta. I'm of the opinion that those shrines are one of the main reasons why AD carries as a whole are weak. They can't roam the jungle for obvious reasons, and then a bruiser with 600 movement speed comes running at them, uses some sort of leap/dash/whatever plus a stun or slow and blows them up.
But this is both the blessing and curse of Dominion. I get enough of "both teams play passively for 20+ minutes, carry becomes super-scaled and solo's 5 people with his 4 support teammates" on Summoner's Rift.

I personally think a more interesting change to Dominion would be to give the speed shrine a diminishing effect like the in TT. That way it would still be giving the mobility options teams need to play Dominion effectively, but would also stop the overkill you sometimes get when a speed shrined player can chase you down after using an escape a decent 1/4 of the map away from a speed shrine because they last so long and give a flat speed buff for the duration.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

FDru

Senior Member

01-04-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid99 View Post
I personally think a more interesting change to Dominion would be to give the speed shrine a diminishing effect like the in TT. That way it would still be giving the mobility options teams need to play Dominion effectively, but would also stop the overkill you sometimes get when a speed shrined player can chase you down after using an escape a decent 1/4 of the map away from a speed shrine because they last so long and give a flat speed buff for the duration.
What he said. Speed is such a powerful tool, and it really shows when they're nerfing TTs speed shrine despite how much weaker it is compared to Crystal Scar's (TTs lasts about 4 seconds and the speed boost diminishes incredibly fast). Dominion's speed shrines makes bruisers harder to deal with and dps builds less viable because it's just impossible to kite a speed boosted Irelia/Wukong/whatever.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Phourc

Senior Member

01-04-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid99 View Post
I personally think a more interesting change to Dominion would be to give the speed shrine a diminishing effect like the in TT. That way it would still be giving the mobility options teams need to play Dominion effectively, but would also stop the overkill you sometimes get when a speed shrined player can chase you down after using an escape a decent 1/4 of the map away from a speed shrine because they last so long and give a flat speed buff for the duration.
That would certainly be interesting, I wonder if that's on Nome's to-do list...


12