Future Feature Discussion: Loss of Control Indicators

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

VoidBro

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-28-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelnath View Post

Questions:
  • What information would you like about control impairing effects in League?
  • What information do you feel is the most important to convey?
  • The least?
  • How would you like this information conveyed?
  • Where would you like it to be conveyed?

"Change is good." - Kha'zix
*Nothing really except that I'm affected by one, nothing too complicated
*Either what kind of control or the duration of it
*None
*Big bold letters
*Any

Xelnath

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Systems Designer

01-29-2013
29 of 29 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElevenOfClubs View Post
You know what I would like to see on these indicator bars? Black lines for 1 or .5 seconds (ala the black lines for every 100 hp).
We tried this out. It was neat, but it made the UI very cluttery and ultimately the rate at which the bar emptied conveyed the same information.

CorruptFate

01-29-2013

Quote:
We're still working on the icons. We have a new icon in the works for fear that I *really* like.

Edit: And here it is!

Attachment 601737
How does this look when a person is effected by several different CC's at once? For example a sion stun and a fiddles fear, what icon/timer is expected to show? Would it be the last one applied, or the "stronger" of the effects, or the one with the longer duration?

Also how does it work with two-three very different types of CC, such as a silence and root? In this case both effects do very different things so it might not be clear what is the stronger effect. (Ex. And adc wouldn't care about a silence the same way a mage might, thus the mage would value seeing the silence timer/icon more than the roots.).

I love how this feature is turning out, its always good to know what's going on. Keep up the good work.

Mihlo

01-29-2013

Perhaps to better show multiple CCs have color coding assigned to the hard CCs.

Depending on the length of the CC, the color would start very dark and lighten as the CC times out.

For example, a 5 second stun would start out a dark red, and lighten to a very light red. A 3 second root would start Dark Green and fade to light green, etc etc.

It would immediately convey how long the CC lasts (lighter color means less time) and could display multiple CCs (hard CCs take priority). 3 at once would probably be enough, 3 is about the most you'll ever have on you most of the time, unless you got 5 manned, then it won't help you either way

Valexi

01-29-2013

Quote:
Hello Summoners,

I'm Xelnath, game systems designer for Riot Games. In a nutshell, I focus on improving systems with a broad impact across all of league of legends, rather than champion or item specific issues. My team improved skill-shot rendering from fog-of-war, added recall and ward icons to the minimap and allowed you to silence players who spam emotes.

Now we're looking further into HUD and UI improvements to better indicate that you are stunned, silenced, feared, rooted, etc.

I'd love to hear your opinions and ideas to improve this feature.

Questions:
  • What information would you like about control impairing effects in League?
  • What information do you feel is the most important to convey?
  • The least?
  • How would you like this information conveyed?
  • Where would you like it to be conveyed?

"Change is good." - Kha'zix
I feel like slow and root are fairly clear - as you immediately feel the change in movement. But stun and silence less so.

I would like a stun and silence indicator to appear *over* your skills at the bottom of the screen so you can look at the UI and see the reason you can't use abilities.

Food4Thought

01-29-2013

Idk if mentioned or not...as ive only read like...17 pages butttt

can we just get square icons?

kinda like the ui in wow, but instead of "buffs" they are the CC, just little squares that pop up, that are a picture of the spell performing the CC, so we know EXACTLY what is happening to us..and what spells hit cd from the enemies.

prefeably moveable by our choice where it goes on the screen..

Mïkêy

01-29-2013

Is it possible to make the shop customizable? Or set up like, certain specific hotkeys for each champion? like say you want 1 guys abilities smart casted then you switch champions and its not smart cast or something? jwing lol

Solari Eclipse

01-29-2013

Quote:
We tried this out. It was neat, but it made the UI very cluttery and ultimately the rate at which the bar emptied conveyed the same information.
I feel like time varying frequency icon pulse would achieve the same end, perhaps less cluttery. I think it would be easily noticeable without being distracting.

Edit: the pulse frequency would be something specific at half second and 1 sec and 3 sec regardless of total time of the CC, but the frequency would slide (nearly?) continuously between these stages until it turns off or goes constant "on" then blinks off, depending on if you wanted the pulse to slow or speed up. I supopse you would need to be careful with these rates to its easily recognizable and intuitive, and it wouldn't necessarily be intuitive *at first* to the exact moment when it quits, but the visual queue would be easy to train yourself on. Is it less enough clutter than a time bar to be worth the implementation and retraining players and al that ****? Probably not for in game as players would have to watch it to get the sense of the cc length, but it might be for spectating. As you said, the spectate is better with less UI.

Solari Eclipse

01-29-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Food4Thought View Post
Idk if mentioned or not...as ive only read like...17 pages butttt

can we just get square icons?

kinda like the ui in wow, but instead of "buffs" they are the CC, just little squares that pop up, that are a picture of the spell performing the CC, so we know EXACTLY what is happening to us..and what spells hit cd from the enemies.

prefeably moveable by our choice where it goes on the screen..
Between the skills area and the champ stats seems like a logically place, if you are just talking about moving them from the buffs area to somewhere else. I like the idea of separation of buffs and debuffs on the screen if they have to be drawn on the UI like presently at the bottom. Maybe left and right alignment?

Like for that I would imagine a small arrow point being added to the top of the skills area, and this serves as a separation. All positive effect icons to the left (Allied Whimsey, Aegis, WotA, Morg Shield, Vayne's Final Hour buff) and all negative effects to the right, (Fiddle's fear and passive, Morg ult channel icon, all other CC, Vi's denting blows effect debuff icon, etc). At the very least, you would get a sense of how many negative effects are hitting you vs. positive. The difference wouldn't be what mattered, but it might make it easier to realize whats wrong (not everything is going to be visible on that little display on your health bar after all) and make quick decisions from a glance or singed could fathom just how much **** the enemy team blew on him, and he can ping for an engage while everythings on CC. Just a thought.

IMO, I'm not sure the ability being displayed would help alot, that would require e=good familiarity with all the CCs in the game. :\ In the heat of the moment I'm not sure if I could tell apart Morgana's or Nautilus' abilities at the bottom of the screen. I would certainly know from the icon who cast it, but I feel like I do have enough state of mind in combat to know *who* hit me with CC.

Edit: I'll bookmark this and see if I can manipulate a screenshot to illustrate that separation. It would be sometime tonight if I get around to it.

Also personal request: can we get a little more GUI animation pls? :3 I like the gems on the side of the skills area, but would like more if it can be done cleanly. Have our champ's splash pic in the corner blink their eyes occasionally and move their mouth when the champ speaks maybe? Something. Though I can see tat maybe slowing down champ turn around time for releasing a bit, for a feature not everyone will use.

Robert 7890

01-29-2013

Taken from a post before : http://i.imgur.com/FIUqN.jpg

I Reckon the 4th one is the best, as you could have them arc over the hp bar to show the stuns ect.