Future Feature Discussion: Loss of Control Indicators

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Xelnath

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Systems Designer

01-28-2013
26 of 29 Riot Posts

Hey guys, here's an update.

Two very cool things:

#1) New icons! Mega props to our art team on this, especially Mitch.
#2) This in an in-game screenshot.

Attachment 601703

We still need to do extensive testing on this before it goes live though. So it won't be in the next patch.

tarlune

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-28-2013

It seems like It would be useful in 1v1's and 2v2's but in any kind of large team fight it seems like the indicator would be hard to see.

Ravechaosknight

01-28-2013

Whoa, the fear mini-icon uses a simple version of Noc's E. Nice, definitely gives it a "I know what that's doing" touch. Are the other icons similarly familiar?

Xelnath

Systems Designer

01-28-2013
27 of 29 Riot Posts

We're still working on the icons. We have a new icon in the works for fear that I *really* like.

Edit: And here it is!

Attachment 601737

antikatze

01-28-2013

gonna play some fiddle more !
keep up the good work ;D

Random Trouble

01-28-2013

Why not take those images and put them in semi-opaque circles at the top of the screen (such as not to interfere with player view or clicking), then when the CC comes into effect the circle fills with color and has a clock sweeping effect to indicate the time of the CC. More often than I want it too, I have the health bars getting in the way of stuff I actually want to look at and they overlap all the time. This would just add to that issue.
Also for indicating that other players on your team are CC'd, have the same image pop up on their picture on the left (showing only the hardest CC [I wouldn't care too much for seeing softer CCs on my allies]).
And on a more personal note, I really don't care for seeing the duration of a CC myself. All of them are too short for me to watch and wait for it to end rather than smashing buttons on my keyboard and right clicking with fanatical intensity while I wait for it to wear off. So I would like the timer to be optional as well, so I can have whatever small amount of CPU speed that it would give me, instead of the timer.

Xelnath

Systems Designer

01-28-2013
28 of 29 Riot Posts

I'll make sure there's an option for you to turn off this feature

Zielmann

01-28-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelnath View Post
We're still working on the icons. We have a new icon in the works for fear that I *really* like.

Edit: And here it is!

Attachment 601737
So, if turning these sorts of indicators on is an option the player can opt to use, will they also be able to opt out of the old indicators being there? Or would these even be direct replacements?

I like the fear icon and timer under the health bar, but I feel like it also renders the old fear indicator (icon right over Yorick's head) to be redundant, and therefore just clutters the screen more than necessary.

WarlordAlpha

01-28-2013

Thanks for the update! I think against longer CCs that sort of thing will prove pretty damn useful.

Viro Melchior

01-28-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zielmann View Post
So, if turning these sorts of indicators on is an option the player can opt to use, will they also be able to opt out of the old indicators being there? Or would these even be direct replacements?

I like the fear icon and timer under the health bar, but I feel like it also renders the old fear indicator (icon right over Yorick's head) to be redundant, and therefore just clutters the screen more than necessary.
Depends whether these icons are visible on every champion you can see. Generally speaking, CC visual effects (Zyra's roots, Fiddle's fear, etc) are there equally so that everyone knows you're cc'd.