Future Feature Discussion: Loss of Control Indicators

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Laserturkey

01-06-2013

Hi Xelnath,
This comment is in context to one of your posts regarding what would a player like to see for CC and how would one expect it to be displayed.

As a software developer myself I'd say stay away from Lights and colors, personally I'd like to see patterns around the players HUD and over the champions head area particularly the health bar etc maybe scroll around it.

Stun = An image of a daze/spiral
Silence bubble with !
Immobilized = chains
etc..

In any case that's just my feedback, looking forward to the work you do and the upcoming releases!

Malloreon

01-06-2013

Just posting this again since only person seemed to have seen it before.

Having text on the bars would also make this look better.
This would only apply to hard CC, not slows.

Mr Knubbers

01-06-2013

this is awesome, bump!

Publius101

01-06-2013

I think the solution should be as simple (read: unobtrusive) as possible.
For slows we don't need anything - it's obvious enough when you're slowed, and it doesn't stop you from doing anything.
For all the other cc I would like to see a small indicator next to your health bar or whatever, like a circular timer, with a small icon indicating the hardest form of cc currently active next to it, and icons for the other forms of cc in a line from hardest to softest progressively further away from the timer. When the hardest ends switch the timer to the next one, but don't start at 0, start at however much of the cc has passed by.

This would help in timing your actions - for instance right now if I'm silenced and need to use an ability the moment i'm unsilenced I just mash the button (which works perfectly fine, but I just think it could be better), whereas this would let me know exactly when the silence runs out.

chaosxspirit

01-06-2013

When you take damage and the red that appears around your screen, we could have something like this. Instead of the red there could be vines, frost, etc.

Venova

01-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelnath View Post
I really like the idea of displaying tenacity this way. What if the tenacity blocked part of the CC was right-justified?
this strikes me as a little bit distracting, maybe attach it to the player hp display above your champion? a 3rd bar that appears there for cc's, only on yourself or allies, not on enemies (it might be unfair or unbalanced to be able to see your exact cc duration and decay rate on enemies)

Xelnath

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Systems Designer

01-06-2013
24 of 29 Riot Posts

Thanks for all of the awesome discussion on this. I'll be working on this more tomorrow.

Anzelus

01-06-2013

You are a great man
hope you do well and i hope to see your new changes soon!

Absolute 42

01-06-2013

Hey Xelnath, hope you're still reading this

As a support main, I really need to know how long my allies are being CC-ed, especially with the new Mikael's Crucible. While the personal progress bar idea and screen flashes help the player being CC-ed understand the CC, I would like to see a solution that allows everyone to know the duration and types of CC applied to champions. Since this is a team game and CC info is crucial, it should be presented somewhere near each champion on the battlefield so everyone can see without looking at buffs or the margins of the screen.

The CC timer under the health bar is probably the best idea for this so far, imo.

Other possibilities:
1. Themed effects that surround floating health bars. These could be different for each type of CC and could even have a set animation that changes over the duration of the CC so players know when the CC is almost over (think Sion's shield animation). Ex: Rooted champions have vines snaking along the rim of the floating health bar graphic. The vines twist, grow spikes, and blacken in the same way each time, so that I know that when they are entirely black and spiny, the root will be over. For multiple CC on the same champion, push out less-important CC using a set scale: Suppress>Stun>.....>Slow.
2. Color-coded outlines on champions for hard CC effects (Stun, Suppress, Charm, Fear, Taunt). This could be an extra option on top of other changes, to make it super obvious when a champion is under some serious CC. If combined with the CC timer idea, the colors of the timer bars for each type of CC should match the champion outline colors.

I would want any changes to be optional, but the default is ON so that newer players get more obvious visuals for CC.

Bolshevik Muppet

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-06-2013

Personally, I like the idea of the radial timer that Xcolibri mocked up, but instead of displaying it NEXT to the health bar, why not just make it a semi-transparent overlay on top of each champion's level circle? (Kinda like item/spell cooldowns) it could be visible to everyone, or just allies, or whatever.

Multi-cc display would get cluttered, but I think it'd be possible to make the game prioritize the hardest form applied, or just re-set the timer in cases of reapplication
I mean, in most cases the most important effect a hard cc has is the immobilize, so distinguishing between what KIND of cc could still be done through spell effects,

I think trying to make the timer show a distinction between CC's like root/snare is unnecessary in most cases, as well as stun/suppress, and may end up over complicating the idea. Overall, knowing the duration of the CC is generally more important than knowing the form