Future Feature Discussion: Loss of Control Indicators

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Fucshia

01-05-2013

Here's an idea for you, Xelnath. May or may not be workable or useful, but I thought I'd drop it off...

When does the fact that you are CCed matter? For instance, until you attempt to cast something, you may as well not be Silenced. In a similar vein, not trying to move while snared or doing nothing while stunned would also mean the players state is unaltered while under those CCs.

My suggestion, then, is to inform the player - via text or image, not sure which - when they attempt to do something while CCed that they normally could, but currently cannot - or, in the case of an MS or AS slow, cannot do as well.

There is already an excellent example of this in-game: Blind. If I recall correctly - which I may not, I hardly have a perfect memory - when you are blinded by Teemo you receive a text notification, and you then receive an additional notification every time one of your auto-attacks misses.

I realize this is probably a hold-over from when dodge was still in the game, but it is, IMO, the single most well-communicated CC in the entire game.

There are a lot of little things here that would have to be worked out - how often would one let the player know that they are rooted while they are spamming right-click to try and move the second the root wears off? - but most of them are fairly minor, at least conceptually.

I'm fairly certain this idea has no room for including notification of the duration of CC, which is too bad, but you can't have everything. (I mean, you could have a little text duration message next to your text CC message, if that's how you did the message, but that would probably just look bad and start cluttering up the screen.)

DemonHound

01-05-2013

i think we should have a visual effect for silence/stun around the frame. such as a dark-grey (transparent) border around the whole screen. And for stuns, like a chain around the whole border (like a picture frame sorta thing) Some kind of large visual effect.

OtherMaT

01-05-2013

Do you have in mind to change the mouse pointer to a new more noticeable?

In teamfights is very easy to loose the perception of the mouse pointer and u don't know where are you targeting at.

Orbital Nuke

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-05-2013

I have posted this before, but I would like anything that prevents me from issuing commands, namely suppress, silence, stunned, feared, charmed, to be written using those words OVER my spell buttons for the full duration of the effect.

Seriously, I want to see word STUNNED written in white letters over the my QWER skill boxes. Other words could be different colors (exceptions for colorblind obviously). And if you wanted to be really creative, you could possibly change the font/coloring to be based of the hero, so that the 'CHARMED' from Ahri might be more flowery and pink while the TAUNTED from rammus might have some kind of turtle shell pattern in the text.

This is superior for a couple of reasons. One is that during a team fight I can actually see who is using their crowd control on me, and two, to make it clear why my spells aren't responding (as opposed to cooldown). and it will last far longer than some pop-up words on the screen that I might have missed.

Boomerang69

01-05-2013

Let me zoom out more as well as everyone else in the game thanks

LX1224

01-05-2013

dont know if someone came up with this idea yet, but i think something like this would be pretty good:

when ur disabled, large text will show up on your screen, maybe on the left side, maybe 4 times as big as regular damage text, to make it easy to see,

and the text will have a color change from the left to the right depending on the duration, each new disable will push the last one up, and the disable will disappear when the text has fully changed color i.e. duration ended.

just an idea :S

montyElGato

01-05-2013

IDK if anyone has suggested this; I didn't want to read the 40 pages of comments.

But making LoL support mods, like WoW does, would be awesome. Then, don't worry about making all these UI changes: The modding community will do it for you. And, [even better] not everyone has to have the same thing.

It's nice to be able to tailor the UI to your individual preference. I.e., if I want my minimap on top, I can move it there. If I want an aura to appear when I'm stunned, I can have that (with or without a timer, etc.)

What I'd like to see is more options to *customize* the interface, not just additions to it. And IMO, the best way to do this would be to allow interface mods.

Stopkilling0

01-05-2013

I have a pretty simple idea that seems good to me...
Thing thing you have going for silence works really well imo, it grabs my attention and I immediately know when I am silenced, and how long because the icon goes away when its over.
Why not use the same mechanics for the other CC effects?
Use that same white bubble that silence uses, but replace the icons for stuns, roots, and the like. Give each kind of CC a different icon and sound effect. It should be a bit louder than anything else, it should grab your attention, like how silence works.
Maybe only use this for hard CCs. I think the effect you already have for slows is perfectly fine.

Stopkilling0

01-05-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by montyElGato View Post
IDK if anyone has suggested this; I didn't want to read the 40 pages of comments.

But making LoL support mods, like WoW does, would be awesome. Then, don't worry about making all these UI changes: The modding community will do it for you. And, [even better] not everyone has to have the same thing.

It's nice to be able to tailor the UI to your individual preference. I.e., if I want my minimap on top, I can move it there. If I want an aura to appear when I'm stunned, I can have that (with or without a timer, etc.)

What I'd like to see is more options to *customize* the interface, not just additions to it. And IMO, the best way to do this would be to allow interface mods.
LoL does "support mods". Alot of ingame info is stored client side so other programs are able to make use of it.

BigBadBader

01-05-2013

why not have it on the hp bar.

friendlies differentiate between shaco and facko by the color of the hp bar primarily.

js, maybe you can change the color?