My Thesis on the Existence of Elo Hell

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

themaddscientist

01-05-2013

Hello everyone. I am themaddscientist, a relative newcomer to the game. I began playing LoL in April of this last year, and have since become a huge fan, and have made this game one of my favorites ever. When I found out that people also play competitively, I was excited, but a little scared. I looked on these forums and found out word about elo hell, where people's rank goes and where they can never recover it. I was instantly worried about going in.

For me, elo hell existed. I strongly believed in it. I excelled in my first few games, and then dropped to 1100 quickly. I spent almost the rest of Season 2 trying to get my elo up, and failing at it. I thought it was impossible, that I would never get out. This elo hell was going to chain me up and prevent me from going anywhere.

You know what? I was wrong.

When I first started playing, I thought I was awesome, but I was a huge noob. I wasn't bad, per se, in that I never strayed below 1080 elo, but I was still bad. When I went into Ranked, my first game was a victorious game, where I won with my main, Ezreal, in a 4v5. I then got good with Malphite, before he was banned so often. Then, after hitting 1350 elo, I took a sharp dip in success. I played about seven or eight games where I was tired, determined to do better, and having the worst Malphite games of my life. Only my first game ever was as bad as the stunts I pulled off.

Even if I hadn't had those games, it was inevitable that I would drop into the 1100 range, and why I stayed there for so long. I had only two rune pages: one for ad carries, and one for pretty much everybody else. I had put magic penetration into it for ap casters, but was also using it for everybody else because of the movement speed quints. Magic penetration didn't help me in the jungle at all, especially since my main jungler was Malphite.

That doesn't even mention my feeble champion roster. Even now it is a little thin, but I got enough champions in order to play, sixteen in all, and I wasn't solid on all of them. I was good with maybe three, decent with five more, and abysmal with the rest. One I got specifically so I could play Ranked, having no experience with her, and two more were throwaway champions that I found were useless past level 25. My masteries were poorly arranged, and my experience wasn't up to par. I was gunning on two or three champions to hold me up, with very little understanding of the meta-game, how to gank, or what each place in a game is good for.

In short, I was a noob, and destined to suffer. Instead of owning up to the fact that I was bad, I disguised my disgust at the game in the notion of an elo hell existing. It was never my fault for being bad, it was all about my teammates not doing well. It wasn't entirely my fault for my suffering, it was just my teammates being stupid. This kind of notion created elo hell for me, and it persisted for a long time.

Fortunately, I found a couple of really good guides from these forums and help centers on how to get better. I changed my attitude. I learned to plan ahead. I got myself two rune pages when they ran a buy-one-get-one-free deal on them, and then used that to get a real jungler page, and a real support page. I found out that support and jungler were among the most influential roles one can take in the game, so I practiced those. By then, Malphite was out of reach due to consistent bans, so I unlocked Maokai. I added Blitzcrank to my roster after finding I was good with skill shots. I got Taric, whom I was hesitant to get at first but is now my go-to support. I diversified my masteries, fixed up my rune pages and masteries, and over the course of two hundred games in "elo hell," I was out.

I wasn't in "elo hell" because life was being unfair. I was in "elo hell" because I deserved it. I went in half-cocked and thinking I was the best ever. I went in with a selfish notion, and I left it at the end of Season 2, back at 1350 elo a much better player. I've trimmed the fat everywhere in my game. Ezreal is still fun, but now I've moved on. I've found my home playing as a support and as a jungler. I have learned from my mistakes, what makes a good player of my favorite champions, and have seen living proof of it. I didn't win every game on my way up to the 1300 elo range. I didn't get to gold like I had hoped, but I had found what I was good at and went with it.

Support and jungle have taught me how to look at the game strategically, how to see the game and what could happen as a result of one piece of the puzzle. When something happens, I can work it into my mind now and see the result. I don't just blindly dive in with Maokai or grab anybody I can with Blitzcrank anymore. I learned not to grab tanks with Blitz, not to always dive in with Maokai. I have learned not to waste Ezreal's Arcane Shift by jumping right next to the fight.

Gaining elo in this game is partially due to luck, but much of it is due to skill and understanding. Statistically, if you are playing Ranked, there is a higher likelihood of a troll being on the enemy team than on your team. Don't be that troll. If you do get that troll, what goes around comes around. In my time in the 1100 range, I had a game where I went 0/10/10 with Alistar, and still won. At another match, I played Ezreal, and did great against them. I was the only one stopping their fed Cho'Gath from demolishing us, but it wasn't enough. I could've said I "didn't carry hard enough," but that would have gained me nothing. I was just unlucky, end of story.

I'm still not the best player around, and I know it. I still need to work on all of my champions, and my skill shots have become a little rusty. My aiming with Cho'Gath and Galio is horrible. I still haven't quite figured out how to build tanks in the new meta of the Cleaver. Mid has become the bane of my existence, as all I seem to do is die, a lot. I would not have owned up to this three months ago. My perspective has changed a lot, and for the better. I can cast off the idea of "elo hell" now.

Thank you for taking the time to read this. If you do believe that elo hell exists, I merely ask that you define elo hell, explain your reasoning, and please respect my opinion. I'm not asking you to believe me, I'm only saying why I can no longer believe in the elo hell many of us claim to be stuck in. For me, elo hell is nothing more than a placebo effect that can be set into our mind as easily as it can be cast aside.

Dregen

01-05-2013

Cool thesis, I hereby award you a degree in LoL from Riot University.

Gratz!

nigguh stain

01-05-2013

very nice

ExecutionerKen

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-05-2013

Knowing your problem is the first step to succeed in rank

You sir just won yourself the chance to move up in the ladder.

Moe the Monk

01-05-2013

I find your lack of footnotes disturbing.

All Delete

01-05-2013

So what about games where top goes -5 and bot goes -10 (supp. + adc) and you're the only one whose positive...

Sereg Anfaug

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-05-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by All Delete View Post
So what about games where top goes -5 and bot goes -10 (supp. + adc) and you're the only one whose positive...
Yep, one game in the hundreds or thousands you'll play. That one sure is super important. Definitely enough to make you forget all the games when you were carried by your team, or when you lost and also did badly yourself, or when you and your team all did well.

Nope... that one where you did well and your teammates did poorly, that's the only one you remember.

That's why you think ELO hell exists. Nothing is ever your fault, so you'll never improve.

PogoPogoPogoPogo

01-05-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by All Delete View Post
And what about those games where top goes +5 and bot goes +10 and it really doesn't matter whether you're positive or not because your 4 teammates could win it without you?

People who promote this idea of Elo hell are pretty quick to cite these matches where they have bad teammates, but they're even quicker to ignore the matches that they only won because their opponents were just as bad as these bad teammates they complain about.