Alistar tips?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TheGoddamnAndrea

08-22-2012

So, I looked at the guides section, and all of the Alistar guides have "outdated"/"obsolete" at the top, lol.

How do you build Alistar, both for masteries and items, for all three game modes? Which champions give Alistar trouble? And have good synergy with him (other than Poppy... I love pairing with Poppy).

Additionally, could I get some tips and tricks? I just got this champ today and have been doing decently, but I feel a lot squishier late-game than I feel I should be.

Cannonfort

08-22-2012

Headbutting players against a wall will stun them for a second, so you get to save your pulverize for another combo. Pretty much any decent player on a long range champion will you give alot of trouble, like morgana, lux, ashe, kogmaw, etc. You can pair up with almost anyone I think, it is just a matter of letting them know when your going in. Builds is really up to you. Even though he will have a support role it really comes up to creativity. Cool reduction and speed are a must. Unbreakable Will is mainly used to initiate team fights or to flee when things go wrong xD.

GurthC

08-23-2012

Flash is a must. You can use it very agresively.
In dominion, you can take fortify, build tanky, defend points, and let the tower do the damage. Also I've seen a full ap Ali in dominion doing a good match.
In summoner rift, you can play him in the bot lane, building gp5 and supporting in early game (healing, warding, providing kills to you carry with your cc. Also he is great at breaking ganks). Then you can start taking tank items and cdr, and gravitate to a tank role in late game. Mid game can be tought because the lack of gold. you can have problems if all the others in bot lane are ad ranged. Good partners are long ranged ad carries, specially if they have any form of cc.
You can also play him in the jungle. He is a slow jungler, but a strong ganker, so after 2 or 3 blues you can start roaming. I find this as the most fun way to play him. I usually build philo, boots, avarice, giant's belt, then brutalizer, mobility boots, warmog, atma, finally yoummu, a situational item (guardian angel, force of nature, infinity), shurelia. Your ult's ad bonus with youmuu's active are devastating, and few players pay attention to Alistar after he blows his combo.
I usually play him with hybrid pen reds, armor yellows, magic resist /lvl or cdr/lvl blues and gold per second quints. 0/14/16 masteries, focus on mov speed, cdr, gold per second.

I hope this helps.

GurthC

08-23-2012

Also Blitz is a very fun partner, but you are fcked if both your opponents are ranged.

Candentis

08-23-2012

Vayne is also fun to lane with, and his ultimate allows you to just build just health to be tanky if you need to put your gold into something else.

xXBruntoxX

01-04-2013

what I do is press r(I forgot the name of the move)then use pulverize then headbutt.that take your opponent down quicky

Madraac

01-04-2013

To build masteries, I normally use a support Ali in ranked games, so I use a 0/9/21 set up for gold, or if I feel the need to be even tankier will go 9/21/0. I do not feel utility masteries are worthwhile unless you go deep into them, but that is my opinion.

As I made the early mistake of using IP to purchase lots of champs I am at a disadvantage for runes overall, so I try to make them work across the board and I am still purchasing. For Ali, I am forced to use AS reds (Not ideal per se), and go with either armor or health per level yellows, and MR blues. Quints are a mix of flat health and scaling health so that I can stay in lane as support to keep xp going.

One of your core items will be a Philo stone, so the mana pendant is a starting buy plus wards and pots, or I go with a mana manipulator and single ward, knowing I have to port back sooner than normal potentially. If we get an early champ kill or two, I immediately get a sightstone as the wars you place wil quickly cover the cost of the purchase over the course of the game, unless they have stealth champs like Twitch or Eve. From there you build to what the team needs. The only item I always swear by is the Aegis of the Legion and its upgrade for the team defense. Beyond that, you will want to build items that increase your survivability through Armor & MR. Boots can be key as well due to your need for positioning. I have found that if you start pushing lanes and winning, boots of mobility are better than any armor or MR so you can position yourself to push back champs with a head butt to your waiting team. After Philo, Boots, Aegis, and sightstone it will get more situational... You do not need AD as your ult will provide it when pushing towers or in team fights, health is always a big help, but Warmog's is tough to build on a support character, so look to an item like Randuin's for the slow, or if mana starved Frozen Heart for the CDR and mana. Your final build is really dependent on what the enemy build is. If they are building B. Cleavers and last whisper, then your armor is going to be mitigated, so health can actually be more beneficial, but it is a fine line, as your team should be taking out the ADC that has those so you can soak up everything else.

As for lane partners, Ali works best with a range based champ. Between your pulverize and headbutt, your ADC can get 3 - 4 autoattacks alone if in range when it is executed. Your heals will help keep them in lane and your passive provides AOE splash damage after each ability. Plus, as ADC's get to a point where they kill minions fast, it will refresh your heal extremely quickly allowing you to spam it after level 8 or so.

For overall team comp, if you can get one or two friendly champs with CC or stuns, it allows you to position even better and ensure a possible champ death as long as you are not pushing back the enemy tank instead of an AD or Mage class.

Overall, Ali is a great champ and one of my first, but he is constantly banned in ranked fights. Realize that he is slow to get going, but if you slowly build into armor, MR, and health you will be a beast for the end game.