Visual Update to Creeps

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Lord Ezel

04-24-2013

I want to be the first to say that i love the minions and their work, so, why not give them a visual update?. Improve their models, so the would be better looking, and update the particles for Caster and Siege minions attacks. And maybe improve the jungle creeps too. Baron with better particles and model, and Dragon too. I know classic minions are awesome, but a little improvement would be awesome

Lord Ezel

04-25-2013

bump

Recaiden

04-25-2013

How do you propose to update them?

Lord Ezel

04-25-2013

The same way Riot updates champion, improve their model (more smooth models) and maybe particles too. Imagine that minions are champions who need VU

RiotForScience

Senior Environment Artist

04-26-2013
1 of 1 Riot Posts

When we review a champion we often try to take them to the next level. I would be curious about what ideas you may have about different things we could do with minions and jungle creeps.

Stexe

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Adjudicator

04-26-2013

Make them feel more "alive" with other animations and better models (but also maintain low levels of visual clutter). The changes to the jungle camps a while ago did something like that, although Dragon is still lacking and the basic minions could use more love. Definitely improved Baron and a few other things visually.

Arcticfury

04-26-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotForScience View Post
When we review a champion we often try to take them to the next level. I would be curious about what ideas you may have about different things we could do with minions and jungle creeps.
Make jungle creeps that actively target champions that come in proximity of them. No way a wolf just lets you walk by. This would definitely make chasing champions through jungle a bit more difficult or easy depending on the paths.

Mirage Night

04-26-2013

The wolves are one I would like to see improved. They look terrible. A more streamed line look like Nids cat form would be cool.

Skyhawke

04-26-2013

It's an interesting discussion, because I think a lot of people would like to see minions and monsters remain faithful to the designs they currently have.

I would definitely want the minions to remain fairly mundane--if they get too fancy it would just draw attention away from the champions. The monsters could use some smoothing out and some variance in their animations. I think the dragon could especially use some love. I've always thought that either changing the blue buff golem or the double golems to a different type of monster would help with readability. I feel it's confusing to new players that one "golem camp" is so much different than the others.

BooleanCube

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-26-2013

I may be alone in thinking that the jungle creeps should have their own "passive skills" to differentiate them. They all literally JUST do damage, except Dragon + Baron have extremely powerful and completely unreadable debuffs.
Now, I am not going to advocate Wraiths getting lifesteal back, even though I really like the idea of them having lower health with lifesteal; but maybe Elder Lizard should have slightly less AD, but actually light you on fire with his red buff. He should have a flaming scimitar, or a clear poison/acid graphic; something more readable for new players that "Oh, this guy constantly applys a debuff that slows me and burns my life away, and if I kill him then I get to take it for myself!"
Maybe for the Ancient Golem, he could have a Nautilus-esque passive of "Every 6 seconds, the Ancient Golem's next attack deals slightly more damage and knocks back/up for .25 seconds." Because, ya'know, it's a gigantic golem of stone; a new player walking up to it would think "Oh, that thing is probably going to hit like a ****ing truck, perhaps visibly disrupting my champion with slam attacks of obscene mass." before he smites it and steals the blue rocks.
It would be hard to give Dragon a readable debuff, but maybe just leave it on there anyway, but I still think it'd be nice if he alternated between claws, tail swipes, bites, and a fire breath attack. Perhaps the exact same damage, but every 3rd attack is dealt in an AoE cone instead of single-target. Also loosely rewards good positioning? Makes more sense, for sure.
Baron has many interesting attacks already, but they definitely need superior graphics. Perhaps more "Thwunk"iness to his pushback, and more "lunge" to his spit. Baron is powerful, but he doesn't LOOK powerful at all. He's just a big silly worm that dances while your health bar goes down. That can be fixed.