A Simple Solution

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

tbagchamp

01-03-2013

TL;DR: Losing ELO due to a DC stinks, we've all been frustrated over it. I offer a few small ideas in order to negate the loss of a DC.

Alright so I just started playing ranked a few days ago. In my first 4 games, 3 consisted of a DC on my team. Today my friend and I duo queued twice, won the first game and we were doing very well in the second game. It would have been very, very hard for them to come back. Until we had a DC and we lost.

Now I'm no pro and I don't weigh ELO as very important to my life. League is just a hobby and I would love a system that places me against similarly skilled players reliably.

I believe very much in the ELO system, I think that with the exception of DCs and AFKs it is very accurate. I think Riot is very smart by using ELO.

However when I lose elo in a game that was a fairly easy win because it was a 4 v 5 situation I feel like I've been cheated. If I lost a game wherein I dominated my lane and lost due to someone else, but it was still 5 v 5, I would not mind. I would still believe it to be fair. But when you lose a game in which you have a severe handicap? ugh.

Anyways I had a few ideas:
1. Turn games with a DC into normal games. No elo distribution involved. The problem then is obviously people who leave right before their nexus falls in order to save elo. Im sure that the DC catcher would find and ban them pretty quickly, but still that would be a huge problem and it could also waste a lot of time.

2. If a DC is on your team and you lose, either you lose drastically less or no IP for the match and the other team gains drastically less or no IP for the match. Maybe it could be based off of many different variables in the game such as towers taken, gold acquired, CS, Kills, Deaths, Assists, length of the game with/without the DC, etc etc. It would not be easy, in fact it would be very complicated. Still maybe it could help negate some of the loss from a DC.

Thelohel

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-03-2013

Very abusable. You cant expect to gain elo from dcs and not lose it. Playerw could then deny elo by dcing or dc to avoid loss. The system is fine and losses by dc will even out eventually.

tbagchamp

01-04-2013

Well I think we could agree that it is unfair to lose elo in a game with a handicap.

It might not be such a big problem if you have 50+ games and you get a DC, but I have 7 games and I've had 4 DCs on my team in 4 games.

The system may even out eventually, but now I am at the threat of playing with people who are apt to DC or AFK more often, or just to be placed with players slightly below my own level. Now I have to work extra hard just to get to a fair level.

While this is a complaint, a simple complaint is not my purpose. Rather I would like to brainstorm a few solutions and see what other people think about this problem.