Decreasing load times

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Arzathis

01-03-2013

Hey there,

I was wondering what could be done to improve my load times in LoL? I'm usually one of the last people to load in, but it doesn't really make sense to me why that happens. (I know ping is usually irrelevant here, but my ping is around 18-20 most of the time and the game itself runs at 60 fps on decent settings).

Anyways, my specs are as follows;

------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 1/3/2013, 18:02:45
Machine name: JOEY-PC
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.120830-0333)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Dell Inc.
System Model: Dell DM051
BIOS: Phoenix ROM BIOS PLUS Version 1.10 A05
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 2.80GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.8GHz
Memory: 3072MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 3070MB RAM
Page File: 2187MB used, 3951MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 32bit Unicode

The graphics card I use is the Nvidia Geforce GT 430. If you need me to post any more information I will try to do so.

Any and all help is appreciated. Thanks ^_^

Arzathis

01-03-2013

Would be nice if I could get some ideas about this.

SIams Dunkley

01-03-2013

By not playing on NA servers when you live in EU.

Sol Slinger

01-03-2013

Arzathis,

Hi I do believe I can help you out here. Summoning a champion relies on, basically, four things.

In no particular order:

1. Connection speed
2. Processor speed
3. Available Ram
4. Hard Drive Speed

You can try to modify any of the above to decrease load time but most of the time people with slow load times are experiencing a bottleneck on #4. There are several things you can do to improve your load times that hinge on that.

Follow these in order:
1. Defrag your hard drive, schedule this regularly during non-usage hours
2. Use game booster, download link here: http://download.cnet.com/Razer-Game-...ml?tag=mncol;1
3. Disable antivirus "real time protection". Some AV's have a game mode you can turn on for this.
4. Disable any unnecessary programs that the Game Booster misses.
3. Consider upgrading to a new hard drive. Either get a fast HDD, look for lowest read speed stat or purchase a SSD. Personally, on my brand new system I dropped about ~20-30 secs of my already fast load times by upgrading to an SSD. I am summoning at about 10-15 seconds. I didn't buy into the hype at first, due to prices, but it is definitely worth the investment on a gaming PC. Prices have really come down, as now you can buy a 120GB SSD at around $69.00 US.

Also, I do not like Razer's new rendition of the Game Booster. If you find the original version before they purchased the software rights do so.

I hope this gives you a good start.

Gennousuke

01-03-2013

Your Hard Drive if it's not already 7200 RPM, your processor but judging by the socket it would only be single core, wont be as fast as the duo cores and up, and the fact that if you do live in the EU you are across seas from our servers database, I believe it's in Cali so its techniquely on the other side of the world for you, the further you are will make pinging them slower and them to ping you back slow as well.

As for the processor thing I can explain it the same way I read about it a few yrs back. Say the processor is a car, say you are moving files on the hard drive or opening programs from your hard drive, these we will reffer as passengers in this car, now a single core is a single passenger car, duo is 2 seated car, quad is 4 seated car. Now lets add it together, you opeen a program and move 3 files folders at the same time on a duo core, techniquely you are runing 2 programs at the same speed from point a to point b while the othe 2 passengers are cluttered and forced going a bit slower. In your case a Single Core doing that much would just either crash the system or cause it to go slow or stutter.

Hope I explained it well I did try my best to set up a good role. :3

By the way the mother board relies on everything you put into it yes and speeds up for whatever you put, but RAM is mostly for how many programs you can have at the same time on, and even a bit of speed on the way your pc starts up.

Sol Slinger

01-03-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gennousuke View Post
Your Hard Drive if it's not already 7200 RPM, your processor but judging by the socket it would only be single core, wont be as fast as the duo cores and up, and the fact that if you do live in the EU you are across seas from our servers database, I believe it's in Cali so its techniquely on the other side of the world for you, the further you are will make pinging them slower and them to ping you back slow as well.

As for the processor thing I can explain it the same way I read about it a few yrs back. Say the processor is a car, say you are moving files on the hard drive or opening programs from your hard drive, these we will reffer as passengers in this car, now a single core is a single passenger car, duo is 2 seated car, quad is 4 seated car. Now lets add it together, you opeen a program and move 3 files folders at the same time on a duo core, techniquely you are runing 2 programs at the same speed from point a to point b while the othe 2 passengers are cluttered and forced going a bit slower. In your case a Single Core doing that much would just either crash the system or cause it to go slow or stutter.

Hope I explained it well I did try my best to set up a good role. :3

By the way the mother board relies on everything you put into it yes and speeds up for whatever you put, but RAM is mostly for how many programs you can have at the same time on, and even a bit of speed on the way your pc starts up.
Good info here too. Use my approach for the least invasive (expensive) approach. Sounds like you need a new PC all together, but don't go that route without a fight.

Aregionius

Senior Wrenchman

01-04-2013

Looks like this has been answered pretty thoroughly nice job guys!

The only thing I would add is, if you're looking to upgrade something, I would start with your RAM. 3gb is a little low for a Windows 7 machine, and depending on exactly what your setup looks like, could also mean you're not properly operating in dual channel mode (unless you're running two 1gb sticks and two 512mb sticks or triple channel depending on your motherboard, probably not)

RAM is relatively cheap and can usually make a pretty noticeable impact.

Arzathis

01-04-2013

Thanks guys, your help is very appreciated ^_^

I'll look into getting some upgrades (or possibly buying a new computer altogether as this one is well...really old. Any attempt to change the parts in it would probably be worthless in the long run!)

Anyways, thanks again. I'm just glad I can still play the game even with some slow load times.