Cait support?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Rovos

01-03-2013

just curious about your thoughts on Cait as a "support?" Heres my thinking, while she has zero sustain unless I take heal or clarity, she does have safe harass range, a gap closer/escape, bush control with traps and her passive which helps harass and her ult can safely end runners or force them to back often. Not to mention she would force the lane choose to build only one armor type and be open to harass from the other and them the obvious once the laning is over you essentially have an extra source of damage.

..or am I wrong? I never see her in this role but I mean I can't be the only one who sees some good points to this. Any thoughts?

Edit1: Can anyone direct me to a list of viable non-trad supports?

Thorston13

01-03-2013

No, you lack the one thing a support should have and it's a way to keep your carry alive, Taric has the stun, heal and amor, Leona has the CC Lock down, morgana has the snare+shield, Raka has heal, silence, zyra has the snares and good zoning job with the plants.
Cait has the traps, but they are really unreliable when you try to save someone in a gank since it takes around 2 or 3 seconds to lay down and trap someone.

Uncommon supports would be Morgana, Le blanc, Rammus, Fiddlesticks, Jarvan, Volibear and viktor.

Another thing you might need to know is that Cait is a ADC because she has the range and damage to be a lane bully from early to mid game.

Lord Puppy Fury

01-03-2013

A support brings utility to their team and is defined by their ability to perform their role in the middle to late game with 0 CS. Post-lane, Cait's traps and net will be of negligible utility at best. As a support with a support budget, Cait won't have the itemization to be remotely useful for damage. Yes, you can run a kill-lane bot. This is a high reward but also high risk strategy. If your opponents are dumb, you can get really fed with a kill lane. If your opponents play safe, your team ends up with two starved and underwhelming damage dealers. For reasons I won't delve into here, supports are undervalued because they aren't kill oriented. Never, though, underestimate a good support's ability to manage fights and exactly how potent a contribution that is.

For more info, The Support: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wS4_cBeOiC8

Cenerae

01-03-2013

If you want a more utility focused Caitlyn, try stacking armor penetration and cooldown reduction for rapid fire Q's and ults, and low cooldown nets and traps.

This only really works well in ARAM and to a lesser extent Dominion, mind you. In SR, your team will expect you to have some kind of sustained dps output.

Trying to play her as a straight support won't work, because Caitlyn is item dependant to be useful outside of the very early game. You might be able to lay down some good early harrass but you won't have the farm to do anything when teamfights start happening. And your nets and traps aren't enough utility to let you do it with any effectiveness.

M4nTiCoR3

01-04-2013

She has a lot of the tools to be a nasty poke support in the very early game, but her need of gold and items to stay relevant past lvl 6 is too great to truly go full support. I would love personally to find a jungle build that works for her. She has the ability to poke players under their tower from the jungle with her Q and her ult means she can engage and finish off any champion that might escape if its up. Her bonus damage from bushes could help her clear jungles fast as all but wolves can be attacked from a bush, and she while she has no reliable snare, her range, poke, ult, and ability to whittle towers down quickly will prevent a lot of champions from getting to safety without just backing and opening the lane for your team to take dragon, push a tower, or free farm.