Thoughts on Nami

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Apollinarius

01-03-2013

I tried Nami during her free week. Boy am I glad I didn't buy her at launch. She is bad. Really bad.

Her Q is ok. Nothing special. Same as most stuns. Her W is the skill that counters itself. It's only worth it if you get all three bounces, and getting all the bounces requires a psychic link with your ad carry in the case of the double heal or suicide in the case of double damage.

Her E would be good if Nami had some other part of her kit to make her scary in lane. If she had Zyra's damage or Janna's shield or Taric's stun or Nunu's snowball, then casting E on your ad carry would mean they could go on the offensive, rather than it meaning that you've wasted mana (or your carry got killed because he went aggressive and ate a stun and bunch of burst).

Her ultimate is fun, but overall doesn't contribute the same level of power that Sona's ultimate does.

In conclusion, Nami is like a combination of many supports, taking the weakest portion of all of them and then making it weaker. Her poke and heal are much weaker than Sona's. Her steroid is much weaker than Janna's or Nunu's. Her stun is good, but she doesn't have any useful skills to follow up with.

And before anyone suggests a stun to W combo, you need to hit both enemies with the stun to get the full bounces. That's not going to happen. You have to use the stun in order to get the double heal bounces, but that's conterintuitive and suicidal. You want the heal when you're low. To get the double heal, you need to get aggressive when you're low. If you miss your stun, you're suddenly close and very dead.

So Nami, you may have looked ok on paper, but you play horribly. I'll stick to winning games with Janna or Sona or Nunu.

Algol1

01-03-2013

Her stun rarely hits and it deals pitiful damage. Plus her passive's WORTHLESS! Just play Janna if you want MS.

CerealBoxOfDoom

01-03-2013

She is a very unique support. I find comparing her to others laughable. She doesn't replace any support. She's a different flavor altogether and I feel she's extremely effective.

Mohrb

01-03-2013

Instead of just saying "she's useless" ... How about a suggestion.

Easiest one would just be to significantly boost the AoE or missile speed of her q and w... And increase thw duration of her e so that shots can be selectively taken.... Going into a fight... Not just for buffing someone already attacking. I.e. 3 shots or 30 seconds. High tier teams wouldn't be given an unfair buff like "all hits for 5 seconds".... But lower tier players will find it reliably useful for helping a carry last hit in early game and harass/chase layer.

Simple fixes could make her very good. But yea... Her shots are a tiny air for how slow they are. Very unreliable.

Steakasaurus

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-03-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollinarius View Post
I tried Nami during her free week. Boy am I glad I didn't buy her at launch. She is bad. Really bad.

Her Q is ok. Nothing special. Same as most stuns. Her W is the skill that counters itself. It's only worth it if you get all three bounces, and getting all the bounces requires a psychic link with your ad carry in the case of the double heal or suicide in the case of double damage.

Her E would be good if Nami had some other part of her kit to make her scary in lane. If she had Zyra's damage or Janna's shield or Taric's stun or Nunu's snowball, then casting E on your ad carry would mean they could go on the offensive, rather than it meaning that you've wasted mana (or your carry got killed because he went aggressive and ate a stun and bunch of burst).

Her ultimate is fun, but overall doesn't contribute the same level of power that Sona's ultimate does.

You're playing Nami wrong. She's not a poke and harass support. She's not a sustain support. She's a support that thrives on engagement. The reason that her W needs to bounce to be efficient, is because you're supposed to be using this when you're engaging or disengaging. That's why her passive gives bonus move speed. To Engage. Or to disengage. Her E is extremely powerful, and adds a very significant amount of damage to her carries output, as well as a very potent slow. Her Q may seem uneventful, but you seem to forget that its an AoE 1.25 second stun. This is huge. This ability is one the easiest double kill set ups out there, and also really helps in terms of highlighting priority targets for your team focus due to the very dominant visual effect. This is supposed to be used in conjuction with her passive to engage the enemy with a significant stun or break away from an engagement by delaying the enemy's advance.

Her ult is hands down on of the best in the game. No, it might not lock up champs like Sona's, but did you forget that this thing is MASSIVE. It not only knocks up everything it travels through, but also applies a gigantic, potent slow, while slapping the enemy team with a respectable chunk of damage.

tl;dr: You're playing Nami wrong. She's an engage/disengage support. Similar to the tide. She comes in, and flows out. You're an idiot if you're trying to harass with her like you're playing Sona, or expecting her to deliver the same level of carry babysitting/hard disengage like Janna. Nami thrives on quick trades and strategic engagements.

Mohrb

01-03-2013

Her cults range isn't that impressive. Lux's is thinner, but I believe the range is a bit longer and has .... "more damage" at a shorter cooldown. I wouldn't want nami's to damage like lux, but it's not "better."

Mohrb

01-03-2013

Maybe if her ult applied her Q?

Steakasaurus

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-03-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohrb View Post
Her cults range isn't that impressive. Lux's is thinner, but I believe the range is a bit longer and has .... "more damage" at a shorter cooldown. I wouldn't want nami's to damage like lux, but it's not "better."
Lux ult Range:
Does:
Damage, Temporary Reveal

Nami Ult Range:
Does:
Damage, Knock up, Slow.

For a support role, I'll take Nami's vastly superior utility in her ultimate over Lux's raw damage any day.

Ashlea

01-03-2013

I play Nami quite a bit, and I always do quite well with her.

Her Q takes getting used to because it does feel a little slow, but if landed right you can stun multiple people with it. It's not meant to have huge damage, it's a stun. It's an AoE stun, which is fantastic.

Her W is great. Granted I've accidentally ks'd with the bounce a couple of times, the heal is good and the damage isn't really that bad. You don't HAVE to get off all the bounces for it to be useful, though it does help if you can manage them. I try to use the bounce to help my adc chase down and kill. The bounce takes down their health a bit while giving my adc that small speed boost to catch up and kill 'em before they escape behind the tower with minimal health. I can't count how many times the damage from my bounce has ensured they dont escape with miniscule health. Nami is mana hungry early game, max your W first but don't use it for harass if you don't have to. As it's been said, Nami isn't a strong harasser, and while her W can give you a nice little tradeoff (W the enemy support from the brush to heal yourself if you're low while harassing them a little), I don't recommend spamming it. Save it for when your adc engages.

Her E is amazing, speed boost from her passive, the extra magic damage and their attacks slow for three hits. Most players know by now what her E does, I noticed when she first came out I'd E my adc and they wouldn't really know how to best use it, but more often than not they put it to good use. It's also timing on your part, throw your E on them when they're chasing someone (obviously) and even if you have a crappy adc they can't really go wrong with it. It doesn't take a psychic link (though that sure would help).

Her ult.. not sure why you're comparing it to Sona's. They're not the same champion, they don't do the same things. Nami's ult is HUGE, it's a little slow but that shouldn't matter if you're using it right. It's knocks up, slows, and it's massive. It can stop engages, or be a great start to engages. I have saved my team/adc in lane with it countless times. I would argue that it's better than Sona's ult because of it's length/width and the knock-up/slow, but that's my preference.

She's not an AP carry, she's not supposed to have tons of AP and do heaps of damage. She's not bad at all, you just have to learn how to use her effectively. Of course, I wouldn't complain at all if she got buffed. ;D

CerealBoxOfDoom

01-03-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashleupagus View Post
I play Nami quite a bit, and I always do quite well with her.

Her Q takes getting used to because it does feel a little slow, but if landed right you can stun multiple people with it. It's not meant to have huge damage, it's a stun. It's an AoE stun, which is fantastic.

Her W is great. Granted I've accidentally ks'd with the bounce a couple of times, the heal is good and the damage isn't really that bad. You don't HAVE to get off all the bounces for it to be useful, though it does help if you can manage them. I try to use the bounce to help my adc chase down and kill. The bounce takes down their health a bit while giving my adc that small speed boost to catch up and kill 'em before they escape behind the tower with minimal health. I can't count how many times the damage from my bounce has ensured they dont escape with miniscule health. Nami is mana hungry early game, max your W first but don't use it for harass if you don't have to. As it's been said, Nami isn't a strong harasser, and while her W can give you a nice little tradeoff (W the enemy support from the brush to heal yourself if you're low while harassing them a little), I don't recommend spamming it. Save it for when your adc engages.

Her E is amazing, speed boost from her passive, the extra magic damage and their attacks slow for three hits. Most players know by now what her E does, I noticed when she first came out I'd E my adc and they wouldn't really know how to best use it, but more often than not they put it to good use. It's also timing on your part, throw your E on them when they're chasing someone (obviously) and even if you have a crappy adc they can't really go wrong with it. It doesn't take a psychic link (though that sure would help).

Her ult.. not sure why you're comparing it to Sona's. They're not the same champion, they don't do the same things. Nami's ult is HUGE, it's a little slow but that shouldn't matter if you're using it right. It's knocks up, slows, and it's massive. It can stop engages, or be a great start to engages. I have saved my team/adc in lane with it countless times. I would argue that it's better than Sona's ult because of it's length/width and the knock-up/slow, but that's my preference.

She's not an AP carry, she's not supposed to have tons of AP and do heaps of damage. She's not bad at all, you just have to learn how to use her effectively. Of course, I wouldn't complain at all if she got buffed. ;D
Her MS is being improved next patch

She's also getting some Cooldown reductions on earlier levels of Q