[Tryndamere] How is he?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Mili The Dark

10-17-2010

Might be a lot of fun at level 20 though

Serpentongue

10-17-2010

Tryndamere is useless until he gets his Infinity Edge, but when he gets it, he can easily wreck.

Morinav

10-17-2010

I mained Trynd for a while and have about 120 games with him under my belt, I think.

Strengths:
Great damage output
Extremely high mobility
Great squishy killer
Fun champion to play

Weaknesses:
Has difficulties dealing with exceptionally fat champions
Cannot deal with CC
Extremely farm and item dependant
Requires a high degree of skill to play effectively
Spinning Slash is buggy.
His design is inherently flawed for 5v5 combat.

Presently, I would not recommend buying him. He does not fit well with the current metagame at all. I would dare say that there is not a single instance where Tryndamere would be an appropriate/good pick. Master Yi will almost always be a much better champion if you need a carry.

This is due to Tryndamere being sort of flawed as a champion. He relies to heavily on abusing his passive for damage, much like Olaf, but has no way to keep himself alive beyond his ult. His ult, rather than directly dealing damage, serves to keep him alive at his most dangerous. However, since he's so easily locked down during a fight, he is rarely able to effectively deal much real damage.

The problem is exasperated the further you climb in Elo. Better opponents will be able to burst Tryndamere down before he can react and use his ult, or chain their CC to prevent him from attacking during his ult. Further, it becomes increasingly difficult to live after using Tryndamere's ult, since a single errant ignite or DoT can kill him as Undying Rage comes off cooldown.

Quicksilver Sash can help as well, but Tryndamere is so incredibly dependent on farming items to have competitive damage that the cost is seriously detrimental early game to his damage output. Unfortunately, he needs it early/mid game to excel and survive late game. It's something of a catch-22.

This is not to say Tryndamere can never be effective. I have had success with him on TT, where the fights tend to be much smaller and his mobility is very valuable. If Tryndamere can fight small scale battles, he will win versus most other champions, such is his prowess in 1v1 or 1v2 situations.

If the metagame shifts toward something resembling the EU, Trynd may have a place. His high mobility and ability to excel in small scale engagement would offset his weaknesses in team fights and might allow him to be played as an incredibly effective assassin type champion. He still may be overshadowed by the likes of Shaco in that regard, but he would have a more appropriate place and may be effective.

tl;dr He's fun, but not effective. I would not buy him if you're looking for a serious champion to play.

Bbaptong

10-27-2010

i'd just like to state the fact that this is all an opinion of one person. Some people are better with tryndamere or other heroes more than others.
Tryndamere is a hero more suited for people who are able to last hit consistently with ease and be able to know the limitations of his ultimate.
tryndamere is my main and in some games, i am able to go in first and tank everyone's damage while the rest of my team moves in.
The strength of tryndamere lies within having even the slightest advantage over the team.
His tank aspect is when people target him while his endless rage is running.
In a real game, people do not stop attacking him because of the fact that he could easily get away, so you use this to your advantage as well

MeditationError

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-27-2010

He's *incredibly* unforgiving. The difference between success and dying is literally a fraction of a second in your judgment on when you need to get out, and teams full of CC will really ruin his day.

Playing Trynd is about balancing incredibly unpleasant games with ridiculously fun ones. The actual ratio is about your skill and your teammates, but something to keep in mind is that even the when he goes completely over the top and solos a whole team, he usually quietly and diligently farmed for at *least* 20 minutes, and maybe 30 to get there.

Something else to consider - especially if 1350 IP seems like a lot to you - is that you really need a rune page specifically for him. Crit chance vs Crit damage is hotly debated, but he is fueled by crit, and if you don't have one or the other, he really suffers for it.