Nidalee traps + BFT, a bit excessive?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ikruti

01-03-2013

EDIT: It's been pointed out that I was wrong on how it's applied. It seems that there is still contention on the power of the traps though. So at least that is still worth talking about.

-- Leaving in OP as a monument to my ignorance --
I was curious as to what the community thought about Nidalee's traps in combination with the BFT.

The traps do apply the BFT and seem to refresh every second, so the DOT continues to roll. The base damage of the trap is 260 + 40% AP but what really kicks them in to overdrive is the BFT. Because the duration of the trap is 12 seconds and it refresh at the end, you get 13 seconds of BFT DOT. At 1.75% max hp per second, that's 22.75% of your total HP thanks to the trap.

The obvious counter is MR, but not every champion can afford to load up on MR and still be able to deal damage (like most carries). Though I'm not sure on the math, if the Nidalee uses mpen runes/masteries and goes Sorc. Shoes/BFT/Void Staff, even most bruisers/tanks would be hard pressed to have enough MR to significantly reduce the damage. Given the very low arming time and the decent range on placing these, it's seems incredibly difficult to avoid these.

So what does the community think?

BTW, this is only when the traps are mixed with BFT, on their own they are definitely not an issue.

EDIT: Ah, my mistake then. It really did seem like it was making the BFT reapply. It did seem like it was doing an insane amount of damage on it's own, but I'm 100% willing to admit that it was incorrectly perceiving how the DOT was being applied.

konfetarius

01-03-2013

Actually, the trap damage period is only 2 seconds. If it lasted 12 seconds, Nidalee would out-Teemo Teemo.

Still, it's pretty OP. Less base damage on trap is made up for by the fact that it's a 40% defense shred, so a trap can easily do 600-700 damage on a late game nid. The eternity of being revealed/glassified afterwards is quite obnoxious a well.

HaIfhearted

01-03-2013

Traps have a 12 second reveal, which I think is excessive.

And you seem to have forgotten about the 40% armor/mr shred.
A single trap is its own LW/Void Staff.
Have you ever been hit by a spear after walking over a trap? **** huuuurts, yo.

I think Nidalee in general needs a bit of nerfing.

Orphane

01-03-2013

The reveal duration ought to be nerfed, and I don't think we need to discuss how completely ridiculous the shred is.

kirillian

01-03-2013

Actually...the power of Nidalee traps is NOT the reapplication of BFT...the power of Nidalee traps is basically a free Void Staff's worth of MR Reduction at max level. This is why AP Nid can build straight AP for a significant portion of the game and pick off unwary players with well thrown spears. This is not meant to be a commentary on Nid's effectiveness, but merely a description of what is happening.

BFT only makes things worse with it's synergistic MPen and the fact that the traps apply damage over time with all this MR reduction...

There really is no counter to Nid's damage except dodging and hard engages...remember, if they have a good Nid, they have more poke than you do more than likely...and the counter to poke is hard engagement. So go balls to the wall.

MyDeadGrandma

01-03-2013

/facepalm

the dot effect is over two seconds...only the reveal lasts twelve.

Warrrrax

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-03-2013

I think you guys are too gung ho about Nidalee. Many players hate her because their Nid doesn't really DO much of anything, other than lay a few traps and randomly toss spears at bad guys every once in a while.

OxBaker

01-03-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrrrax View Post
I think you guys are too gung ho about Nidalee. Many players hate her because their Nid doesn't really DO much of anything, other than lay a few traps and randomly toss spears at bad guys every once in a while.
I wouldn't say losing half my health to a single long ranged attack is nothing. In fact it's very noticeable and effective.

Orphane

01-03-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrrrax View Post
Just because most people are bad at Nid doesn't mean that parts of her kit (the reveal and shred on her traps) isn't a problem.

Ikruti

01-03-2013

So I guess a follow up question on mechanics, since the traps deal damage over 2 seconds, that would indicate that it would do 5.25% max HP, right? The thought being that it applies the BFT on activation, a second goes by and 1.75% would have been dealt, the trap ticks again and reapplies the BFT and last another two seconds, for a total of 3 seconds of BFT.

Or is that also incorrect?

Note that 5.25% of my HP is not an issue at all, I just want to make sure I have the mechanics correct. I'd like to avoid future bonehead mistakes