"The Hobbit" and "League of Legends"

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Fathootz

01-03-2013

I would like to see an orcish champ.

Just a big brute that clobbers people

Fallenzoul

01-03-2013

i didnt read a word of ur text, still we need dwards, those yordles are just annoying

Paint it Gank

01-03-2013

I would say Lol is world mythology divided by the internet.

Mr Ivanko

01-03-2013

You sir, are a genius.

HoneyBadgerNZ

01-03-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centuros View Post
And a Treant, and a bear warrior, and a guy who can turn into a demon bird, and a priestess of Lolth knock-off, and an animal-spirit channeler, and some beasts from the Nether Dimensions, and a ratman, and a giant scorpion. Not to mention a few different types of undead (a lich, a few zombies, whatever Morde or Hecarim might be, AND Frankenstein's-monster-esque Urgot)

See? This is a LOT more fantasy tropes than YOU listed.
Priestess of Lolth?

Now all we need is a Dark Elf wielding two Scimitars.

Celebi

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

01-03-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medarco View Post
The issue I see is with things like zed/talon and darius/draven. They handled Darius/Draven well by making them brothers which I thought was awesome, But when I looked at Zed I saw (and still think to an extent) "Oh look, they whiffed with Talon, so here's Talon 2.0". I'm not talking about playstyle or abilities or stats. This isn't about playstyles or stats. It's about the flavor and theme of a champion.

I agree with OP because I like the fantasy side. I don't mind human champions. But when Every champion becomes some variation of a human with a different weapon or different range, It gets boring. Even with Vi I felt a powerful blandness when I watched the spotlight. She just felt stupid. "Oh look she punches things! She would probably be a great addition to fight against our spell-casters, half dragons, and void creatures!" We already have the bad ass that destroys everyone in hand to hand combat, Jax. That archetype has been filled. Move into the mythical and fantasy again.

Everyone wants originality, but has anyone actually thought about why it is original? Sure its possible to create new things, as Riot has continually proven, but there is a reason for the Orc/Elf/Dwarf traditional fantasy structure. It works. It is fun. People enjoy it.

TL;DR There is nothing wrong with being new, just as there isn't anything wrong with following traditional roles. I would enjoy more of the traditional fantasy and less futuristic as well.
I enjoyed reading every word of your post.

TheMonocleRogue

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-03-2013

The reds won't post here. They're too afraid to make monsters into champions because it takes a lot more effort than designing a cut & paste human character. I'd side with Ezreal and Xypherous because they understand how to make monster themed champions sell and are more than willing to listen to the league community.

InertBlowfish

01-03-2013

Who gives a flying ****.

Give me another release Xin Zhao so I can pubstomp.

Celebi

Recruiter

01-03-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallant Spike View Post
The reds won't post here. They're too afraid to make monsters into champions because it takes a lot more effort than designing a cut & paste human character. I'd side with Ezreal and Xypherous because they understand how to make monster themed champions sell and are more than willing to listen to the league community.
I agree, that's one thing I've seen Riot do a lot, they're afraid of taking risks, so most of the time they take the easy road and just tweak human archetype one after the other, and only until they make a monster without fail after countless human releases, then will they feel confident enough to give it to us.

I for one am waiting for champions with more than just "voices"... I want a growl mixed in the voice-over, a Cerberus or a Warg would be perfect for that. A bird screech would be great too, even Anivia 'speaks'... A Gryphon/Griffon would be perfect for that, I even attached images of all these archetypes in my thread which I linked in the original post, and after almost 300 upvotes, in 7 months, not one red even bothered to post in it. Instead, my thread got moved to the Art & Audio Feedback, which is deserted, so for my thread to get any views and support, I have to link it in other threads.

But you're right, I doubt any red will come in here, the only ones great enough that will be willing to discuss with us are Xypherous and IronStylus, maybe even Meddler.

Dryad Soraka

01-03-2013

League isn't medieval or anywhere near it. If I do recall, Bandle City has a "mothership" and Piltover looks like something out of the Jetsons.