"The Hobbit" and "League of Legends"

12345678 ... 9
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Angry juju

01-03-2013

You might also notice that Riot enjoys spewing out boring ass human characters instead of champions with original character design.

Champions like Galio, Hecarim, Rammus and Nidalee are great. Champions like Darius, Varus, Vi, Syndra and Diana are not.

kazetenshu

01-03-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celebi View Post

Edit: Typical GD misunderstanding, felt their fantasy threatened and therefore decide to hate and flame...
Read the first post to your topic, as its a perfect example what you actually misunderstand of the game. Also, places like Zaun or Piltover were conceived really early in the game, it just had very few examples of this. This is a magic and fantasy game more akin to magic the gathering than to a swords and sorcery game like warhammer.

[edit] Quote of dude above me-"You might also notice that Riot enjoys spewing out boring ass human characters instead of champions with original character design.

Champions like Galio, Hecarim, Rammus and Nidalee are great. Champions like Darius, Varus, Vi, Syndra and Diana are not."

Now this is a better example of what riot has be deviating from in the beginning.

Janktec

01-03-2013

Not sure if this was stated already, but I think Mundo has an orc skin.

EksuEith

01-03-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiletto View Post
I think that, in general, Tolkien's works represent more of a high fantasy feel while The Hobbit is a smaller foray into swords and sorcery. From the start League of Legends has adopted more of a latter sense of this feel - a more lighthearted approach with quirky champs like Heimerdinger, Corki, Singed and the like. So I don't think that the game has deviated much at all, since these champs were already around at the beginning. Now, a more serious approach to the genre would resemble Dota or HoN, and this reflects in the artwork. You get a lot more of a nitty-gritty feel from both these games.

I don't think introducing elves and orcs would be good, because they're not exactly original. Tolkien broke ground in the fantasy genre by remodeling his broad understanding of Nordic legend, and nowadays people copy the original work with weak imitations by slapping on cookie-cutter elves and orcs and calling it a day. I don't care if there are slightly different modifications; whether you have sky elves or sea orcs or whatever else the case may be - because even using these names is a piggyback on Tolkien's reputation. And Riot is all about creativity.

As for Legends, I believe that the word is up for interpretation. In my opinion, though, the point is that on the arena both the champion and the summoner have the potential to become a legend through their performance, much in the same way an athlete can become a sports legend by consistently doing well and gaining fame.
Oh God an angel with a sword ,how original.what is even better a human with a bow its soooooooo original.Then we have mans with guns,woman with guns and a fat guy.Riot is creative,but most of the times they are VERY ordinary.

Celebi

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

01-03-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deitrix View Post
I see what the OP was saying, and yes it was a bad comparison.

But he's right in one thing... there is a LOT of ground to cover in mythical critters and unique-feeling champions could arrise from it.

Imagine playing a Cerebus-champion who spoke in 3 simultaneous voices at once before spitting fire at you or rushing in for the kill.

Imagine playing a Griffon-rider and swooping down on people with a lance as the griffon gives that awesome eagle-screech.

Maybe a champ could be a unicorn. Not a sissy peaceful one, but a huge, brown stallion who played like a tanky war-charger... rushing into the fray and impaling people.

We do have some cool fantasy champs so far, but you can't tell me that that Cerberus idea wouldn't be awesome to see. It'd certainly be more interesting to look at than more humans trudging around with... I dunno... fire boots. It's less about avoiding tech and more about making champs who look very distinct. unique and interesting.
What you're saying now is exactly the way I've worded it in the past, I just took a more "Lord of the Rings" idea for this thread because I just finished watching the Hobbit and got upset about what great things we could have in the league but still don't have.

Look at this http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/...php?p=26520777

ThornAlavarn

01-03-2013

I agree, mainly just because I want a full dragon champion eventually. I think Morello once said in an interview that they have tried making a dragon champion multiple times, but it got trashed for various reasons each time, or something like that.

Arcane Azmadi

01-03-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celebi View Post
All I'm saying is we need to even the scale a little, there's a lot we're still missing in league...
No, what you're saying is the game isn't cliche and stereotypical enough.

I consider the fact that the game doesn't feature orcs, elves or dwarves a point in its favour. The setting creates fresh and original creatures to use instead of rehashing the same tired old rubbish that's been ported into almost every fantasy setting out there. Hecarim is far more interesting to look at than any 6-limbed product of extreme bestiality you may care to name.

TT Dreadnaught

01-03-2013

League has a combination of all the magical and fictional things. It's got crazy technology, pirates, magicians, and thats what makes this game the ****. Don't like it don't play it.

Deitrix

01-03-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry juju View Post
You might also notice that Riot enjoys spewing out boring ass human characters instead of champions with original character design.

Champions like Galio, Hecarim, Rammus and Nidalee are great. Champions like Darius, Varus, Vi, Syndra and Diana are not.
There's nothing wrong with human champions. If EVERYONE is a special mythical monster, being a monster is less unique. There is a problem with samey champions though.

To use the examples you gave... Darius is unique-looking and has a unique playstyle. Varus as well, with his corrupted body and voice, and his long-range poke and CC ult. Vi also. A girl with giant hulk-hands who charges everything. Sure. Syndra and Diana also play very differently from each other and the other champs in the game, but they look rather similar, so much so that Riot had to change one of Diana's skins to avoid causing issues.

I full stand by the monster champ idea because of that visual element. Aniva looks nothing like any champ in the game. She's unique and flavorful. So are Skarner, Hecarim, Cass, and so on. This is also the only reason I'm against all the tech-champs and skins. They all feel visually samey. A game with 5 champions all in either gun-metal gray or various colors of generic space-marine armor would LOOK boring, even if they all played very differently. It's a visual thing.

Draxarr

01-03-2013

I'm still waiting on Pokemon/Star War skins.

12345678 ... 9