Zilean tactical problem

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

JevelFaithful

01-03-2013

Hello sumonners

I recently started picking up zilean (mostly played coop with him for now). I have a pretty weird problem in lane. I just can't seem to kill anyone. Every time is the same, I'll get my opponent bellow 20% and he flees. Either when in killing range (20-30%) or with a sliver of hp (which happens with every champion).

In short, I can't seem to pull off a kill. I can bully out of lane plenty, but I'll always finish the lane 0/1 or 0/2. Any advice from more experienced zilean players?

TeknoWizard

01-03-2013

You don't kill people as Zilean. You burst, revive someone, and generally be a dick in lane. You're a glorified support. Just deny the other laner as much CS as you possibly can. It's not even like you need items to do your job. Show up, drop the revive on your AD/Top/Jungle before they drop, throw bombs, and speed up your intiator.

Mothalius

01-03-2013

Couple things. If you're having trouble finishing or securing a kill, make use of his double bomb. Also, make use of his slow. Yes you can speed team mates up as needed, but if you're by yourself, slow-double bomb. Make use of his auto attack as it's range is pretty up there.

Another trick I learned when playing Zilean a while ago is to harass with just one bomb for a few bombs. That way they won't expect you to double bomb when they're at 30% health. Flash/Ignite helps as well.

Soraka Goes Mid

01-03-2013

You can get kills as Zilean in lane, but you have to make use of the double bomb. Usually this means speed boosting yourself (as they will try to back off if you move toward them, expecting a bomb), then go in, bomb once, use Rewind, then instantly bomb again. Massive damage.

Vanilla Squid

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-03-2013

Getting kills is highly dependent on how early game plays out before they get too tanky/too much sustain. A lot of this depends on your match-up as well, you're probably not going to be able to bully out a Nidalee or a Yorick. You're probably not going to be able to get in range of a Lux, Xerath, or Syndra.

With sorc shoes you can probably get a kill when they are around 40% with double bomb + ignite + a few auto attacks if necessary. Also keep in mind that Zilean is fairly deadly when combined with a jungle gank, his slow will allow the jungle to reach them in time, apply red buff damage and more slow, and now you have a jungler that's not afraid to tower dive either with Zil ult. Keep in mind that your top and jungle will be like level 12 while the opposing top and jungle will be level 10 because of your passive, so this mid-game is a crucial time to press your advantage and make plays. Although if you're just learning Zilean this may be a bit too much to worry about >_>

JevelFaithful

01-03-2013

To neuroX and Mothalius, For some reason, that's my problem. Most of the time, my single bombs seem to drop the opponent to much. Maybe it's just the bot's problem. I've tought about it and I should probably gauge my spike early on with a double bomb. Then I could be sure of when I can kill them.

To Vanilla : thanks for the info actually. You made me realise a few things I didn't think about. Especially about dives and mid-game advantage.

Wodenedow

01-03-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statiqhock View Post
Most of the time, my single bombs seem to drop the opponent to much. Maybe it's just the bot's problem.
Bots are surprisingly effective at retreating when you have a chance to get a kill. There are ways to bait them, but the methods are very different from baiting players.

The bots know exactly how much health they have, and how much damage your bombs do...

420 LOL 69

01-03-2013

Zilean was my first main and will always be the champ I fall back on when I'm on a losing streak.

First of all, play him mid lane, not duo bot. Don't use bombs for harass until level 3...you're too mana hungry to start bombing when bombs are weak.

In lane, the main thing is, like everybody said, to get somebody to about 50-40% hp. Then a double bomb + ignite is a kill. But zilean is more of a bully. Push them out of lane and GANK. Once you're lvel 5, your bombs do a TON of damage, and your slow makes it super easy for the person you're ganking with to get kills. If you're not roaming with zilean, you either have a really hard lane or you're doing it wrong.

Just as Zilean is awesome for ganking, he's also awesome to gank for. All you need to do is hit your e on them, and your jungle will 100% hit his combo on them unless he comes in at a retarded time.

Another great trick is baiting people to kill you when you have your ult. If you're ever in a situation where you both have 50-60% HP, go all in on a fight. Double bomb them, ignite, and start auto attacking. Use your ult to revive yourself last second, and lol as they die while you're in revive stasis.

Of course, smart people won't go all in on you 1v1 if they know your ult is up. But if that's the case, you should be able to zone them hard, push the lane, and gank gank gank.

Shadowed Ruby

01-03-2013

Don't forget to spam the hell out of rewind when the game drags on (naturally not when you need it) as it also reduces the cooldown on your ultimate.

Super Harrass. Sometimes it's better to just zone your opponent out of lane rather than kill them. Level 6, if they're smart, they won't tower hug. If they do, free kill, come in, drop a bomb, run out, in bomb out, tower dive with ult when they're low and secure the kill.

Roam. Two of the scariest roamers in the game are Poppy and Zilean. Simply the fear will help other laners win lanes, but your kit does a pretty good job of that, too.

Harass anyone who over extends before a team fight. Your bombs mean that they either expose themselves, run further back, or take the bomb to their team. As soon as you have a reasonable opportunity, bombs the person who is overextended.

Oh, sorry, I went on a Zilean tangent when you were just asking how to get kills, haha, my bad.

JevelFaithful

01-03-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wodenedow View Post
Bots are surprisingly effective at retreating when you have a chance to get a kill. There are ways to bait them, but the methods are very different from baiting players.

The bots know exactly how much health they have, and how much damage your bombs do...
True : that might be presicely my problem.

And thanks snarf for the ganking advice. I'll try cause so far I never really tried to gank. Of course, coop don't lend themselves to easily gankable lanes.