My two biggest gripes with the game

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Cloudpost

01-03-2013

No in game voice chat

Why
In game voice chat seems like a crucial feature for a game like this to have. Communication within a team is essential to good play. When solo queueing the only ways to communicate with your team are through pings, text chat, and character motions. Pings and character motions don't always provide the entirety of the information that you'd like to convey, and they also force you to move your mouse to a place where you can no longer micro your character, making them inefficient. Text chat is worse, forcing you to completely disable your character, and not allowing you to make important on the second calls.

Potential argument one: Not everyone owns a microphone or wants to use one
Not really relevant. Not having a microphone won't stifle communication any more than it did before you couldn't even use a microphone. Being allowed to use a microphone will only advance communication possibilities.

Potential argument two: The potential for harassment is greater
Have the option to mute players. Have the audio from the last match saved locally, if the player chooses to report someone then they select the clip of the audio with two simple sliders on an audio player in the report menu and when they click report the server then saves that snippet of its own version of the audio for review by The Tribunal. Harassment is always going to be present in online games, and in my opinion it isn't a good idea to stifle a game's functionality to try and negate it. The Counter Strike community has some of the biggest SHENtalkers of all time, and even Global Offensive has voice support.

No option in the game menu to turn autoattacking off

Why
For some people autoattacking a random creep or player when they stop next to it is rarely their intention. Some people want manage more things. Some of these people don't want to be required to hit the s key every time they stop moving for a split second.

Potential argument one: Autoattacking is calculated server side
I don't actually know if autoattacking is dealt with server side, but it might be, and if so this could be an argument. This really shouldn't be an issue though. Either change it so that it's dealt with client side, the client sends normal attack signals or declares that it is autoattacking; or have the client send the server the status of its autoattack option at the beginning of the game and upon change. From a programming perspective this seems like an incredibly simple fix.

RyuuguReina

01-03-2013

For the bit about AAing when you stand near something, try pressing "s".

TeknoWizard

Recruiter

01-03-2013

Seems like voice chat would bog down the already... lackluster RIOT servers.

Great idea, and I support it entirely. Just not on the servers they currently have, that already randomly lag people out.

Yigtchelpleth

01-03-2013

1) Ventrilo 8 man servers are free.
2) Pinging is more effective coms than having 4 Brazilians on your vent server.

Devakadin

01-03-2013

Skype or vent for chat and press s to stop autoattacking.

Boagster

01-03-2013

To the two people who mentioned the S-key as an answer to auto-attacks: re-read the original post - HermitDruid feels that it's not the best answer for him/her.

To Devakadin: I wish people would stop suggesting Skype. I understand that it's easier to set up than Vent, TS or Mumble, but it is really a poor option overall for game comms. It takes up a huge chunk of system resources and often causes more headaches than it's worth (people forgetting to turn off auto-answer, IMs accidentally taking focus, etc). I, for one, refuse to use Skype.

Keuzen

01-03-2013

I agree that Riot should make some sort of in-game voice chat. Many games have that and it is extremely useful. As for your second issue, I could press "S" and stop attacking and stand there to wait until the minion is almost dead, but I haven't gotten into a habit of doing that in case I have to dodge an enemy skillshot (Ex: Blitz, Ezreal, etc.)

Cloudpost

01-03-2013

I own a Mumble server and use it when I play with friends. However, my post was addressing issues with solo queue communication. Trying to get a bunch of random people to join the same Vent server sounds like a major inconvenience, a lot of people probably don't even already have it. In the time you generally use to figure picks, buy stuff, and get to lane, you'd be getting people to set up Vent, and that's if they are willing to go through the trouble. The language barrier that Yig brought up can be addressed by my first point. If you mute the (in this case) Brazilians, you are left no worse off than you were before, and at least they now have better communication with each other.

On the "s key", my post mentioned it. It is quite an inconvenience to hit the s key for people who hit s nearly every time they stop. I don't stop much, if I'm nearing the end of a movement I will almost always click a spot nearby. However, sometimes its best to stop for one reason or another, or sometimes you just simply reach the end of a movement before you make your next on accident. Dota 2 has this option. Even a lot of the "ancient" RTS games I own have this option.

Candentis

01-03-2013

This is great, since telling people exactly where to stand is sometimes needed when the player on your team that got fed is bad at positioning. The only real issue with it is people using it to bypass the tribunal, but I'd be willing to put up with that if I could call mia without missing a beat and explain why I'm doing something (such as a Nunu ult to escape rather than re-engage, or having someone skip the minions so we can backdoor after an ace).