Why are they even in the League?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Cerubois

01-05-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuatsu742 View Post
I would think syndra would join to strengthen her powers. After all the champions would likely be the ones to try and stop her
The problem with this theory is that the League would be knowingly and willingly helping its enemy become stronger. They wouldn't let Syndra join unless she was no longer a threat to the world. The only way that's happening, with her crazy personality, is if she's a prisoner.

53papers

01-05-2013

I think a Red implied that Syndra joined so that she could crush the Ionian leaders with political influence (like if there was ever another Noxus vs Ionia match).

Cerubois

01-05-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53papers View Post
I think a Red implied that Syndra joined so that she could crush the Ionian leaders with political influence (like if there was ever another Noxus vs Ionia match).
And again,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerubois View Post
I don't think Syndra's the type to take the roundabout way of destroying people...

Just ask her mentor.
To expand on this...

Syndra lived almost her entire life in isolation. She may not have even known the League existed, or at the very least, wouldn't have known how powerful and influential it had become.

Now imagine freshly-freed Syndra, just after she's killed her kind old mentor. She's powerful, she's angry, she's reckless, she's cocky, and most of all, she's ignorant. Her one goal is to destroy the leaders of Ionia, and she has no qualms about murdering people.
What do you think she'd do then?
Would she float away on her flying castle to explore the wonders of the world?
Would she seek out what's happening in the other city-states of Runeterra?
Would she decide "Oh! That League place looks cool! I think I should go there and submit myself to be used and controlled in order to destroy Ionia from the outside!"?

Hell no! She'd go straight for the capital of Ionia and attack the Placidium! She can float goddamn castles in the sky! What's going to stop her from dropping the thing right onto the Placidium and killing everyone?

Syndra willingly joining the League makes no sense. I can't say it enough.

53papers

01-05-2013

Quote:
And again,

To expand on this...

Syndra lived almost her entire life in isolation. She may not have even known the League existed, or at the very least, wouldn't have known how powerful and influential it had become.

Now imagine freshly-freed Syndra, just after she's killed her kind old mentor. She's powerful, she's angry, she's reckless, she's cocky, and most of all, she's ignorant. Her one goal is to destroy the leaders of Ionia, and she has no qualms about murdering people.
What do you think she'd do then?
Would she float away on her flying castle to explore the wonders of the world?
Would she seek out what's happening in the other city-states of Runeterra?
Would she decide "Oh! That League place looks cool! I think I should go there and submit myself to be used and controlled in order to destroy Ionia from the outside!"?

Hell no! She'd go straight for the capital of Ionia and attack the Placidium! She can float goddamn castles in the sky! What's going to stop her from dropping the thing right onto the Placidium and killing everyone?

Syndra willingly joining the League makes no sense. I can't say it enough.
Looking back on the AMA, Riot Harrow does give us on some ideas on why she joined. Specifically:

"Given that her primary joy in life is her magic, she could see the league as a playground, a place where she can truly push her limits and see what she can do. That might be worth submitting herself to the Summoners, especially if she can work out a deal with them - it's in the League's interest to have someone like her on the Fields of Justice, after all. Besides, she probably believes that if she needs to cast off their control, she could just do it.

Alternatively, maybe she'd want to undermine Ionia's authority by publicly expressing her power and philosophy in an attempt to sway others to her beliefs. If there are other talented would-be mages in Ionia that feel frustrated or repressed, seeing Syndra out there being Syndra could encourage them to rebel."

I agree with that Syndra most likely was unwilling to join the League, but with the AMAs dead and not enough lore, all we have is speculation. Which becomes rather frustrating, since the only new content we get is the lores from new champions. However, I do believe that Syndra has the intent of destroying the Ionian leaders politically when she joined the League (whether or not she was forced to)

Cerubois

01-05-2013

Quote:
Looking back on the AMA, Riot Harrow does give us on some ideas on why she joined. Specifically:

"Given that her primary joy in life is her magic, she could see the league as a playground, a place where she can truly push her limits and see what she can do. That might be worth submitting herself to the Summoners, especially if she can work out a deal with them - it's in the League's interest to have someone like her on the Fields of Justice, after all. Besides, she probably believes that if she needs to cast off their control, she could just do it.

Alternatively, maybe she'd want to undermine Ionia's authority by publicly expressing her power and philosophy in an attempt to sway others to her beliefs. If there are other talented would-be mages in Ionia that feel frustrated or repressed, seeing Syndra out there being Syndra could encourage them to rebel."

I agree with that Syndra most likely was unwilling to join the League, but with the AMAs dead and not enough lore, all we have is speculation. Which becomes rather frustrating, since the only new content we get is the lores from new champions. However, I do believe that Syndra has the intent of destroying the Ionian leaders politically when she joined the League (whether or not she was forced to)
I too might have found that plausible, if it actually fit her personality. As much as I respect certain Red's thoughts on champion lore, this just doesn't make sense.

From her bio, we can see:

- She loves using her power, regardless of how
- She becomes more powerful every day (though she's likely powerful enough already to accomplish her goals)
- She "wants only to retain control of her power, even if it means annihilating the authorities that seek to stop her"
- She's reckless
- She's selfish
- She's ignorant
- She's impatient
- She's aggressive
- She's a murderer

Nothing in that suggests she would calmly, rationally, and patiently decide that the best way to destroy Ionia is through politics.

Another problem with that theory is that it also suggests that the League is completely stupid, and is training its enemy to destroy the world. The League exists to prevent reckless use of powerful magic. Syndra exists to use her powerful magic recklessly. They cannot get along!
Syndra is one of those champions that could likely destroy the world by herself. The League would not allow her to do as she wants. They would capture her just like Brand and Xerath and Cho'Gath.

I apologize for being so fanatical about this, but I honestly think Syndra's lore is the worst in the game. Not because of her story or her character, but simply because no one seemed to put any thought into how she fit into the world after her two-paragraph biography. It makes no sense.

53papers

01-05-2013

Quote:

Nothing in that suggests she would calmly, rationally, and patiently decide that the best way to destroy Ionia is through politics.
One theory I have is she was captured by the League after trying to launch an attack on the Ionian leaders (or something like that), she was given a choice of either joining the League or imprisoned/brought to the Ionian leaders to be punished/have her magic taken away. She reluctantly joins the League and realizes that maybe she can use it to bring down her enemies in political matches (either that or a Noxius summoner suggests it to her) even though it won't be as satisfying as crushing them physically. But this is all speculation since all we have are maybes and no definitive answers.

Sometimes I wish they put the same amount of effort in her lore like the way they did with Diana's. Maybe because IronStylus was in on the project but the effort showed and it was one of the new lores that everybody liked and didn't have a problem with. Riot Harrow did gave a few background information on why Syndra is the person she is now, but I wish they expanded more on it. If people are still complaining about her lore after the AMA, then it shows that it's probably not good writing.

Cerubois

01-05-2013

Quote:
One theory I have is she was captured by the League after trying to launch an attack on the Ionian leaders (or something like that), she was given a choice of either joining the League or imprisoned/brought to the Ionian leaders to be punished/have her magic taken away.
And this is exactly how I see it. It's the only way she can fit. Whether she has some sort of hidden agenda afterwards doesn't really matter. She's at the mercy of the League, a spectacle, a prisoner, which adds so much irony it's perfect.

And yet... The simplest answer just doesn't work for Riot nowadays. :/

Bam4K

01-07-2013

Yeah the AMA also kinda implies she hates authority so she submits to authority....its one of the things I liked about the league judgement were the fact it gave us a little more first person insight. A capture story would make a lot of sense especially if in her arrogance she got too many of the wrong people angry at her and was forced to submit