Disable Chat for Tribunal Offenders instead of Bans

1234567 ... 8
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Kirska

Senior Member

01-08-2013

My main question is why? Just ban them. What's the point of punishment if it doesn't punish them?

Your comment that they "always come back" is a baseless assumption which you have zero evidence of. I'm sure many of these players never come back. Leveling to 30 again and rebuying all of your champs is not exactly my idea of fun. If I were banned for whatever reason, I would not be back.

Some people will never change. They *need* to be banned, even if just to get them out of the level 30 gameplay for a while.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Gimpyloser

Senior Member

01-08-2013

Chat is a part of the game and good communication is key to having a successful game. I like that the OP is thinking outside the box here, but I think the punishments as they stand are fair and more effective. Player first gets warned. Then he gets a series of time bans each longer than the last. If after all that he still can't stop being an Ahole, he deserves to be reomoved from the game. Disabling chat would harm the team by limiting communication to pings, not a valid alternative.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

PoinTBlanK86

Member

01-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirska View Post
My main question is why? Just ban them. What's the point of punishment if it doesn't punish them?
Not everyone is as bad as you make them out to be. I never start or incite an argument with anyone, but because of how the current system is setup, I'm still punished for trying to remain calm and continue to communicate with my team. Because when it fails the person doing all the complaining and blaming instead of just playing the game still reports you, and you still get banned. Everyone of my cases had only one person report me, and it was always the person the was raging at the team. Still it's sent to Tribunal and random people who we have no clue of their background, understand of writing, communication, english, etc get to jusge the case for IP. There is a better way. Also your argument has already been addressed. Banned players jsut create new accounts and continue the same behavior. They still find a way. Disabling their chat function does give them a better environment were they cant verbally abuse anyone. If they resort to then going afk or intentionally feeding, then at that point a permanent ban IS in order and it can still be issued. Adding this though would remove much of what the tribunal deals with and make the game environment much better.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

PoinTBlanK86

Member

01-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimpyloser View Post
Chat is a part of the game and good communication is key to having a successful game. I like that the OP is thinking outside the box here, but I think the punishments as they stand are fair and more effective. Player first gets warned. Then he gets a series of time bans each longer than the last. If after all that he still can't stop being an Ahole, he deserves to be reomoved from the game. Disabling chat would harm the team by limiting communication to pings, not a valid alternative.
Pings are still a great means of communicating in this game. As much as I see people argue in games, and knowing that those people, if they are banned, will jsut create new accounts...I know that the arguing is never going to go away unless an alternate method of dealing with it is created.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Kirska

Senior Member

01-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoinTBlanK86 View Post
Not everyone is as bad as you make them out to be. I never start or incite an argument with anyone, but because of how the current system is setup, I'm still punished for trying to remain calm and continue to communicate with my team. Because when it fails the person doing all the complaining and blaming instead of just playing the game still reports you, and you still get banned. Everyone of my cases had only one person report me, and it was always the person the was raging at the team. Still it's sent to Tribunal and random people who we have no clue of their background, understand of writing, communication, english, etc get to jusge the case for IP. There is a better way. Also your argument has already been addressed. Banned players jsut create new accounts and continue the same behavior. They still find a way. Disabling their chat function does give them a better environment were they cant verbally abuse anyone. If they resort to then going afk or intentionally feeding, then at that point a permanent ban IS in order and it can still be issued. Adding this though would remove much of what the tribunal deals with and make the game environment much better.
I'd have to see a reform card before I'd believe you're punished for "trying to remain calm". Seeing as how I've remained calm and communicated for a couple years or so now and never once even gotten a warning.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Kirska

Senior Member

01-08-2013

Just found your other post and I'd have punished you too. So yeah, your argument doesn't hold a lot of weight here... Of course you're in favor of this because then you'd still be playing. Little biased.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Fudouri

Senior Member

01-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoinTBlanK86 View Post
This is untrue. You have no proof to the matter that this wouldn't work. I for one am for this. I was banned because I try to respond and communicate to malicious players which never goes well. Then I get reported and get in trouble too. Id rather just have my chat function disabled.
Your right, I don't have proof, and so I dont' say anything in that particular response with 100% certainty.

I think the main quesiton thoguh is still the "why". It is adding leniency into a system in which Riot does not feel needs addiitonal leniency. So the question is, how do you convince Riot there should be more leniency.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

PoinTBlanK86

Member

01-09-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirska View Post
Just found your other post and I'd have punished you too. So yeah, your argument doesn't hold a lot of weight here... Of course you're in favor of this because then you'd still be playing. Little biased.
No, I'm in favor of this because it makes sense. It's not a system that just punishes everyone for Anything and Everything. Communication in this game that occurs over the internet is never going to always be all smooth. Everyone is never going to agree on the same course of action, people are going to get upset. Some are going to act somewhat childish and others are just going to get upset but not really be childish. I don't see me defending myself from being harassed by other players as wrong. If you are being verbally harassed in real life, you don't have to put up with it, why should I have to in this video game?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

LrdVprScrpn

Senior Member

01-09-2013

I think this is a decent idea, but personally most of MY issues with other players are performance/direct trolling related. It's easy to report someone for offensive language, but you need a lot of evidence for feeding/assisting the other team. The best way to prove these are through chat, by things the offending player says that will make it obvious to the Tribunal viewer. (I've actually gotten good at coaxing the troll into digging their own grave in chat. Most of them have an invincibility complex that leads them to brag if you approach it the right way.)

When I view Tribunal cases, most of them ARE chat related. So it might be worth losing out on some troll-killing capabilities to make the overall experience better for more people.

I don't really know how I feel. It's a tough call.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Kirska

Senior Member

01-09-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoinTBlanK86 View Post
No, I'm in favor of this because it makes sense. It's not a system that just punishes everyone for Anything and Everything. Communication in this game that occurs over the internet is never going to always be all smooth. Everyone is never going to agree on the same course of action, people are going to get upset. Some are going to act somewhat childish and others are just going to get upset but not really be childish. I don't see me defending myself from being harassed by other players as wrong. If you are being verbally harassed in real life, you don't have to put up with it, why should I have to in this video game?
Wrong. First, verbal harassment is not a crime, generally speaking, so defending yourself in that case is also not a crime. That does not apply here. If we consider breaking Riot rules as a "crime" in this context, then you are simply responding to one crime with another crime. That doesn't fly in real life and it doesn't fly here. Please don't try to use "self-defense" as an excuse here because no one can cause you or your family bodily harm over LoL.

You know how you respond to harassment in real life? You call the police. In this case you report them. You don't incite the person more like you do in your case. Cursing back at the person in real life is more likely to lead to a physical fight and both of you in a jail cell.

Further, you can "defend yourself" without acting like a jerk as you do. I do it all the time. Your language is rude and abrasive and you do nothing but incite people to bother you further. People accuse me of sucking all the time, and I defend myself all the time, yet as I've already pointed out, I've never even gotten so much as a warning. That's because I defend myself calmly without attacking them back, and if that doesn't work, I ignore them and move on. I play jungle and support. I get blamed ALLLLL the time for team failures.


1234567 ... 8