What's In A Name?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

The Blue Jelly

01-06-2013

So, working on my fic, I've found the hardest thing in the world is naming. Be it some beast, some character, or even a chapter title, it's just.... hard.

How do some of you writers out there come up with names? 'Cause this is a rather serious problem for me Y-Y

ElderCheese

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-06-2013

I use the internet to help me brainstorm, there are a lot of web sites that have long lists of names that can help when your back is against a wall. There are even some fantasy name generators used for rpg players. Here is one of the sites I use http://www.20000-names.com/female_english_names.htm

other then that I just mix and match in head until something fits... not a lot of science involved sadly.

Silver of Souls

01-06-2013

Oh, that's easy. I ask Ceru.

Ok, kidding. (Sorta)

Naming is also very difficult for me. I occasionally find it helpful to use name generators (there are tons of them - run a Google search and find one you like), but I usually just use those to get a sense of what a name should be before actually using it. I also find Google translate wonderful for generating ideas - for example, Ashe is prominent in my story, and when I need to name something/someone Freljordian, I look at Scandinavian roots.

As for chapters, I (almost) never name a chapter until I've had the whole thing written and completely edited. I've been known to declare, "It's done! I can post it!...No wait I forgot the title." And then release is delayed another 3 hours while I sit there staring at the blinking cursor on the screen. My best advice there is to try and capture the spirit of your chapter in a short phrase or single word. What did you ultimately accomplish or reveal in that chapter? What point do you want your readers to remember or focus on the most?

The Blue Jelly

01-06-2013

I think that list and a Census search one that I found are probably my two new favorites XD Thanks. Still begs the question: How did *those* people come up with the names?

Chapters are a little easier due to that, yeah.

What about the story title? What do you guys do about that if it's a work-in-progress?