Low Elo - Tips?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Vauld

01-02-2013

Hi so I've recently started playing ranked again, and my last few games have just been terrible, for many reasons. So quite simply, do you have any tips to raise your elo? Or just any tips in general to play the game well? Anything would be appreciated.

Thanks!

adc

01-02-2013

"Many people say elo hell doesn't exist, but I'm generally convinced there is... People get so bad in the low elo that they feed; not even intentionally, they're just horrible.."

If you're at 800 Elo, you belong to be there. I was around 1450 Elo in Season 2 after 80 games, and I climbed very quickly from 1250 when I started (45~ games for 1250-1450). If you're significantly better, you will win a large amount of your games.

So, the conclusion is - you're just as bad. Looking at your match history, I agree with that. First game, 2/6/2, 26 minutes, 58 CS. Second, 8/7/5 (alright score, but die less), 128 CS, 35 minutes. 9/9/4, 83 CS, 34 minutes. 4/6/4, 35 minutes, 89 CS. 3/2/4, 25 minutes, 86 CS. Etc. etc.

Look at my match history (ignore the proving grounds games - those aren't 5v5s and don't count):

http://www.lolking.net/summoner/na/21090971#history

8/2/2, 158 CS, 25 minutes. 10/9/5, 415 CS, 51 minutes. 7/5/1, 130 CS, 25 minutes. 4/10/12, 269 CS, 39 minutes. 38 minutes, 290 CS. 25 minutes, 190 CS. 36 minutes, 192 CS.

These scores are low by my own standards. I've been out of practice, and haven't been playing much lately. In general, you want 100 CS at 12 minutes, 200 CS at 20 minutes. Try for 10 CS/minute by the end of the game. You'll find yourself winning far more games if you have more items.

Vauld

01-02-2013

Yea and the thing about the losses is, they're hopeless after a certain point. At this elo you know whether or not you've won by 10 minutes. Once you realize they're fed and you're going to lose there's no point even trying. So anyway, what I'm getting from your analysis of my games is.. Farm all game? Also do you have any advice if the other team is fed or if my team is losing? Or if someone is losing lane/starting to feed? Should I just gank whatever role I'm playing?

Theguythatyou210

01-02-2013

Quit blaming others for starters. I was down to 500 ish elo and I pull myself up to 1130. I was just in your elo literally days ago. The people there are not that bad. Quit your crying find a duo partner. If you think your a 1500 elo player the proove it. Also 130 by 20 min is not 1500 elo level.

Vauld

01-02-2013

I'm just asking for tips to improve my performance. Along with wondering what to do if someone else isn't doing well?

adc

01-02-2013

Work on your mechanics. In order:

Wards, wards, wards. Everyone but the ADC should be buying wards. Wards win games.

CS. Play custom games on your own until you can get every single CS if you're not going against anyone. Then work on doing that in normal games. Once you have that down, go back to ranked. I guarantee you your win rate will skyrocket just from having more gold than anyone in the game.

Positioning and trading. Work on where you're standing at all times (in lane and later in the game). Don't try to trade with the enemy laner if you don't have a ward and you don't know where the enemy jungler is.

Map awareness. This goes hand in hand with the previous. Make sure you know where the enemy team is, roughly, at all times. This is why you get wards!

I'm probably forgetting some, but make sure you know at least these.

adc

01-03-2013

Also, objectives. Going 50/5 doesn't matter if the enemy team takes 5 turrets after your deaths, and wins because you took no turrets. Kill three of them? Take baron! Kill one? Snag a turret. Double kill bot lane at 12 minutes? Better take that dragon.

And no, to clarify - I don't mean farm all game. But you should be farming your lane effectively. When I'm not rusty, I can generally average about 80 CS at 12 minutes, which isn't great, but is alright if you're trading a lot or you're at a lower level of play. If I'm given a free lane, I can easily get 100 CS at 12, and probably even at 11. You don't have to farm all game if you farm effectively in the first 20-30 minutes of the game.

Take Froggen (I think it was Froggen?) as an example. In a recent tournament, either IPL5 or the world championships I believe, he had 396 CS at the 30 minute mark. That's obviously far beyond what anyone but the tip top level of players can be expected to do in a normal 5v5 game, but if you can get even 2/3rds of that, you're going to be far better off when you go into the teamfight stage.

To give you an idea of the importance of CS - Froggen, with his 396 CS, would have gained about 9k gold just from CSing in that game. Looking at your match history, you have an average of about 3-4 CS/minute. This puts you at about 2.6k gold from CSing at 30 minutes. You gain about 2.7k gold from the ticking gold per second at 30 minutes.

Assuming no turrets or objectives or kills were taken, you would have 11.4k gold at 30 minutes, while you have 5300 gold. That's a 6300 gold difference. Ignoring all skill level differences, if your hero and Froggen's hero were to go up against each other in a straight up 1v1, Froggen's hero would have about 2 major items more than you and win handily.

CoOokiesX

01-03-2013

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=2548604

A thread about low elo

TeknoWizard

01-03-2013

Well, everyone already stressed the point of CS-ing so much, so I'll focus more on the actual champion and player behind it.

Pick a play making champion. That means don't always blindly pick "the most OP champion they forgot to ban". That means pick champions you know how to play that can single handedly change the course of a fight, or a game. Amumu, Sona, Malphite, Skarner, Hecarim, Anivia, Galio, Cho'Gath, etc. People who don't necessarily "carry", but win games.

Be polite and helpful. Not telling you to be an honor grubber here. But seriously. Be helpful, tell people what they can improve upon. Always congratulate people after winning a teamfight. Point out what you all did that was good. Point out what you may have screwed up upon. People aren't going to quit as quickly if you encourage them forward like middle schoolers. It sounds so stupid to say, but having that one positive presense on the team makes everyone try a little bit harder.

Leading off of being polite, take the reigns of a team as soon as the laning phase is ending. If no one is making calls on the team, then nobody is going to mobilize into organized pushes, and people are going to get caught. Direct people, politely of course, and tell them when to group, when to fight, when to push, etc. From my expierences, people are more likely to listen to the guy who's been encouraging and nice the whole game, even over a hyper fed beast. Get your team to actually be a team, not 5 individuals working together.

Armstice

01-03-2013

Aggression wins low elo, it's not likely that many low elo games are going to go long enough for your cs to be gamechanging. Early aggression opens up opportunities to roam and help other lanes win. Winning more than one lane is key to locking in a quick W.