GP/10's standing in other lanes...?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

H0p0nP0p

01-06-2013

I myself love running gp/10 runes, masteries and 2gp/10 Items.

I play top, and I would rush philo and kage, all the while letting jungler know, i wont need ganks so s/he can focus other lanes. Usually if he enemy gets 2-3 kills ahead of me, i can still come back end game during team fights and be top gold by 3-4k gold difference, which game usually ends 30-40 minutes in. Where i would be fully built and the next top gold would be 1-2 items short.

My friends tell me it's "try hard playstyle." i know hog was highly used by tournament plays back wen it was available...

TL: DR
So is gp/10 passive game playstyle til team fights a "tryhard" playstyle like how my friends say? Or is it a troll?? I myself just say "troll build" just because i've never heard from other top lane with gp/10.

Ledinax

01-07-2013

It used to be a thing when HoG existed. Now? Not so much, imo, but still doable I guess.

Kernel Angus

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-07-2013

It's not really a troll build at all. Kages is a little weird top but it's a good starting item for any ap if you know you will need morellos later for grievous wounds. Avarice is great on any crit heavy champ and philo is good for anyone with health and mana (though I'd probably rather have a dorans and some wards for 700 gold).

Peligrad

01-07-2013

I don't think building philo is a bad thing top.

The item is only 600g and has a considerable amount of mana regen. So if you're a mana intensive champ, its a great starting item that covers your mana issues and pays for itself. And reverie is a strong item for some top champs too...so you can often even use the stone.

pick is meh. There may be a top champ or two that can use it well...but not many...

It's more expensive than philo and not as powerful in the lane...so I don't build it on anyone except supports...but to each his own...

FreeGothitelle

01-07-2013

Really i wouldn't build gp10 unless you want the item it builds into at some point.
It really exists more so that the items they build into are effectively cheaper, rather than getting "free gold".
Philosopher's can be ok for health and mana regen, but usually i'd just rather work on my phage or catalyst depending on if I'm a bruiser/AP tank.