In-Game Camera Flexibility [Zoom Out]

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Cynical Rain

01-02-2013

I read a recently posted thread in this sub-forum which suggested flipping the map, and it reminded me of an idea I thought of a while ago.

As a preface, I play with my screen locked. I've tried unlocked, but I really can't get the feel for it and I've easily realized the disadvantage it poses.

That being said, playing unlocked simply gives a further view of the screen than playing locked.

Why not have a zoom-out function (scroll-bar) for players who simply can't get used to unlocked. I'd greatly appreciate something like this.

Thoughts?

Aureline

01-02-2013

Zoom out? Changing the range of vision that players have of the map? That would disrupt the game an enormous amount, a lot more than I think you realize.

As a player who is in the process of reforming from my locked-camera ways, I understand and appreciate the direction you're trying to go here, but having a third visual option just opens a Pandora's Box of complications and frustrations.

I suppose my real question is that you define more specifically what you mean by "Zoom-Out Function" and how "zooming out" in any capacity would help players who play on locked. Is the idea that the locked camera would then hold a larger field of view, as opposed to players who play on unlocked?

If so, the imbalance between the two sight modes would be insane.

OlGrizz

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-02-2013

I am on the other side of the coin so to speak, I can only play unlocked and find that being locked is very restrictive.

Aureline

01-02-2013

I'm starting to see Locked as restrictive now that I'm dipping my toes in the other side, as it were. Riot gives us a very specific field of vision, through which we play the game, see and interpret information. Changing the scope of sight players have, allowing them to zoom out when the alternative would be simply shifting the already existing camera over a little bit .. I think that'd be a tremendous strain on resources.

Cynical Rain

01-02-2013

"Is the idea that the locked camera would then hold a larger field of view, as opposed to players who play on unlocked? "

Simply put, yes.

"If so, the imbalance between the two sight modes would be insane."

Yes it would. But this perspective doesn't "break" the intended game-play.

"Riot gives us a very specific field of vision, through which we play the game, see and interpret information."

I agree, and this has led to things like "map awareness" - an aspect of the game forced through the means of acquiring information, not through the game itself. The reason for this of-course is because if we played at a frame of reference where we could see the entire map, playing would be meaningless, as characters would be tiny and game-play impossible. The basis of the game has nothing to do with these system-induced restrictions. Aspects such as fog of war are game-play induced. Having another means of acquiring information at the cost of precision seems justified.

"I think that'd be a tremendous strain on resources."

Speaking in terms of the computing power required, a simple affine transform isn't a tremendous strain.

Aureline

01-02-2013

But the fog of war can be mitigated with ward placement or the presence of allied champions.

If you have solid ward coverage, it's undeniable that being able to see more of the map (by zooming out, allowing for more action to be perceived by you, the player) in one go puts you at an advantage to someone who can see less of the screen. The vision that you have, then, is based on an advantage given by the system, not given by the game itself.

Hoo boy we're in some vague language here.

Let's use Dominion as an example, because the outer rim of the map has no fog of war. If there are players gathered in the lower right of the map, they can see a certain distance of the field. If they are played on Locked camera, they can see the same chunk of space. If they are playing Unlocked, they see the same chunk of space but possibly not the same chunk of space. They could be flicked slightly to the right to check out the enemy coming in from further away, while not looking at their own models. It's like having two rectangles that are exactly the same size, but they're just moved around in a different spot.

This "zooming out" proposition would allow players to have a larger chunk of space (best technical term ever, no? :P) where they could possibly see the enemies coming in, and see themselves. This would give them a larger rectangle that doesn't move, as opposed to players who have a smaller rectangle that moves. Why would you ever play on unlocked when you can stay locked and have a larger field of vision?

The field of vision players have is determined by the screen. We're not talking fog of war here. You're still at an advantage in being able to see more of what's happening on the screen.

Cynical Rain

01-02-2013

My mentioning of the fog of war was independent of the "zoom-out function". I simply mentioned it as an example to differentiate between game-play-induced and system-induced restrictions to attempt to show that the zoom out function wouldn't "break the game".

As for what you're saying -

This "zooming out" proposition would allow players to have a larger chunk of space

You're still at an advantage in being able to see more of what's happening on the screen.

Why would you ever play on unlocked when you can stay locked and have a larger field of vision?

That's completely true. The camera-zoom-out would completely overshadow the camera-translation, and it would be more advantageous than a camera-translation.

In a way, this actually breaks my thesis since I wanted to level-off the disadvantages given by fixed camera, but instead I ended up suggesting something which would make even the unfixed camera a disadvantage. Your logic wins xD

This being considered, I suggest this as a new means of sight, instead of just a means of "balancing".

The further you zoom-out, the harder it is to land skill-shots, etc, so as I mentioned before, the trade-off between instance-information and precision seems justified.

Obviously this would mean that both locked-screen and unlocked screen would become disadvantageous, so unless people who play both locked and unlocked agree on this new concept, this is /thread since my original thesis is broken.

Aureline

01-02-2013

*Best Ivan Drago voice*

"I must break you."

Okay, but really. I'm not trying to be combative or anything. There are advantages and disadvantages to both locked and unlocked. I'm starting to see that now, as I'm trying to unlearn one and learn the other.

Where I'm at, currently, is I generally stay on locked unless the situation calls for it. Those awkward teamfights where everyone is choked up in a lane, that sort of thing. Or laning purple against a Nidalee or Blitz where you have to mind the long range.

You should add me in-game by the way you seem cool. We can be locked together. :3