Tips for building Garen Solo Top?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Praise the Void

01-02-2013

What should I focus on?
I normally try to get ravenous hydra first for fast farming because of the massive attack boost plus it kills all the minions Judgment leaves behind in one hit.

after that i try for attack speed and crit.

I kind of ignore defensive stats because of courage, but sometimes will go for frozen mallet.

I'm not doing bad as garen, but not good either. I just kind of keep the lane focused in the dead center, not able to push, but not getting pushed.

Am i focusing on the right stats? shoukd i pay less attention to attack and more on something else?

Zhoutais

01-02-2013

courage is amplified by defensive stats so by not building it at all is hurting you to start. black cleaver last whisper then just build hp and spin to win buddy.

FrazzledMelon

01-02-2013

Good Stats
Arm Pen, since so much of his damage is physical
Crit, since spin can crit
AD, given the scaling on his spin (and Q)
Defensive stats, since Courage is amplified and a tanky bruiser is always better than a fragile one

Wasted Stats
Attack Speed, since he doesn't rely on auto attacks for damage
Bonus AoE (e.g. Hydra), since his spin is already so strong

Frozen Mallet is a good choice given that Garen's biggest problem is being kited.

If you're looking for a decent S3 guide, check here:
http://www.solomid.net/guides.php?g=...en-build-guide

Tookmyname

01-02-2013

ive had ppl tell me my build isnt smart and that garen doesnt scale well into late game or that all he does is ks...i like to play him very aggressively tho. i play with 9/21/0 masterys ad marks, armor seals, MR plvl glyphs and move speed quints. dorans blade or boots+3 depending who im laning against. il get 3 dorans blades (1 spin clears a whole minion wave) boots of swiftness then rush infinity edge and phantom dancer. frozen mallet next and games dont usually go longer than that...but to finish id get sunfire cape and the last item is situational but would typically be GA or another PD for the crit/ms just to be obnoxious. i rarely have a bad game as garen.

FrazzledMelon

01-02-2013

Quote:
il get 3 dorans blades .... then rush infinity edge and phantom dancer. frozen mallet next...
There are better choices than PD for Garen. The Crit is definitely tempting, but AS is a lower value stat for him and the ghost passive is only a partial benefit, since he avoids unit collisions when spinning (yes, with a speed penalty.) Black Cleaver or Youmuu's are both stronger overall as third and fourth major items with Infinity Edge and Frozen Mallet.

KnightxSScarlett

01-02-2013

I get Rylai's, Liandry's torment, and boots of swiftness. This is your core. Get in their face, and they will die FAST. After that, you can pick up warmog's armor if you need health or pick up a black cleaver for overkill. If they have lots of cc, MERCURIAL SCIMITAR WILL BECOME YOUR BEST FRIEND!

darkestluna

01-02-2013

Personally I itemize for Crit and a balance of resistances.

Starts boots and bots.

Then get an Avarice Blade.

Finish your boots (I Usually get Merc. Treads), then get a Chain Vest.

Next finish an Atma's Impaler, get a Brutalizer.

Buy another Avarice Blade, finish Youmuu's Ghostblade after getting an Aegis of the Legion.

Finally finish your Aegis into a Runic Bulwark, get a Black Cleaver, then end with an Infinity Edhe if you can.

Final build should be this:

Merc. Treads
Atma's Impaler
Youmuu's Ghostblade
Runic Bulwark
BlackCleaver
Infinity Edge