Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Thoughts on ELO.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Animalio

01-02-2013

Quote:
Bizzzing:
Doesn't this statement essentially refute your entire arguement? You basically just said it doesn't matter if you actually play top or not you just need to select it. In my opinion this would make it even worse. If I was playing and some guy in chat said, "Hey i'm gunna roam is that cool with you guys?" at least I can make a choice on if I want to play with that guy. The way you want it set up I would assume the guy would actually be in top lane and then be very surprised when he wandered around as soon as the game started.

You agree that the meta changes? Then why in the world would you try to have Riot establish a list of choices you have to pick from? I'm assuming if the community is deciding it would be through plurality and not majority which would almost assuredly leave a majority of people unhappy. Basically Riot would cause needless grief to its players and have to continually hold a vote and redo the system on a regular basis.

Finally in my opinion unless you are High Elo the meta can be extremely flexible, even in ranked. In low elo solo queue if I go bruiser/adc bot im sure we will dominate the lane even though it's not the meta. Ever seen Low Elo players mesh together seamlessly? Neither have I. Even if the adc/bruiser do their own thing for the most part they can still dominate. The bruiser hardly needs any help to kill a squishy early-mid game and all the adc needs to do is not tower dive. It kind of irks me how when things like this are discussed it's automatically assumed that all the players in question are of professional caliber.

Refute my argument? I'm trying to help the ELO system. This isn't an arguement, it's an idea. You can reword your douchy post if you want because I'm not going to bother responding to someone who's trying to turn this into a debate. Instead of mocking and ridiculing us why don't you provide some constructive feeback.

Thanks.

EDIT: And by the way, Why in the world would it be plurality and not the majority. And the meta hasn't changed for almost a year now. When it changes, it's going to be big and everyone will know about it. And I'm not talking about little things like, Pantheon mid or darius support. You choose what LANE you want to play in. And with bot it's either the carry or the support. And I don't play many games where the meta is changed, and I play quite a few ranked games. Especially in low elo.

Thelohel

01-02-2013

The system is fine. The players are the issue. You can't just build your system in a way that removes choice and creativity just because every player thinks they 'need to carry with mid'.

Larrythetapist

01-02-2013

Quote:
Animalio:
This isn't an arguement, it's an idea. You can reword your douchy post if you want because I'm not going to bother responding to someone who's trying to turn this into a debate. Instead of mocking and ridiculing us why don't you provide some constructive feeback.

Debating an idea is the best way to perfect good ideas and filter out bad ideas

Animalio

01-02-2013

Quote:
Thelohel:
The system is fine. The players are the issue. You can't just build your system in a way that removes choice and creativity just because every player thinks they 'need to carry with mid'.

I feel like this enables you to play what you desire, I think that's the main point of this. And of course, you have to think of que times, arguably the most popular roles are top and adc. So if you choose top or adc, you will have a longer que, than someone who wants to support, or maybe choose all roles to play. You wouldn't have to be limited to all roles, you can choose however many you want and which ones you want.

I think that people being able to choose what they want to play would further creativity and literally expand choice.

Animalio

01-02-2013

Quote:
Larrythetapist:
Debating an idea is the best way to perfect good ideas and filter out bad ideas

Yeah but you can have a good, friendly debate, and an argument lol.

Selcopa

01-02-2013

Quote:
Animalio:
I'd like you to explain why :< but if you're just going to jump the bandwagon thats fine too.

Because it doesn't allow for the intricate selections that can be made, I don't play top, but if I notice an opportunity to counter pick someone hard with one champion I am good with. I can do that, but I don't want to select top as one of my viable options.

The fact that there isn't an actual "team setup" that is required to win also is important, in WoW you aren't clearing dungeons with 5 rogues, but 4-5 AP can certainly win games in league(which ive done, even at 1800)

The idea of "voting on the meta" is a great way to illustrate that you don't really know what the meta is and how its developed.

Solo queue is your individual skill rating across all roles(weighted by frequency of playing them), if there were ladders for different roles it would be one thing(of course that wouldn't work because roles are dynamic even during the game)

Quote:

Now this next part might be a little odd, I think if you play well, have a not completely terrible average, have a nice amount of assists (to prove you are trying to help your team) They should rate ELO upon this. In solo que of course. I just think that solo que rating should be determined on how you perform. I think this helps everyone! You can see where you need to improve on, and everyone is actually where they belong. On how they attempt to help their team and secure the win.

There's 2 things here.

First you haven't actually showed that the elo system doesn't properly place players, sure there are times when you are a little lower(or higher) than where you should be, but you, or anyone for that matter, have never really made a good case that the elo system is placing players where they don't belong.

Second, you haven't actually thought through the idea of awarding bonus elo for assists have you? Many players would do actions to abuse their stats to gain elo. Think about that for a minute and then come back with a good explanation of why we should have bonus elo for assists

Animalio

01-03-2013

Quote:
Selcopa:
Because it doesn't allow for the intricate selections that can be made, I don't play top, but if I notice an opportunity to counter pick someone hard with one champion I am good with. I can do that, but I don't want to select top as one of my viable options.

The fact that there isn't an actual "team setup" that is required to win also is important, in WoW you aren't clearing dungeons with 5 rogues, but 4-5 AP can certainly win games in league(which ive done, even at 1800)

The idea of "voting on the meta" is a great way to illustrate that you don't really know what the meta is and how its developed.

Solo queue is your individual skill rating across all roles(weighted by frequency of playing them), if there were ladders for different roles it would be one thing(of course that wouldn't work because roles are dynamic even during the game)

There's 2 things here.

First you haven't actually showed that the elo system doesn't properly place players, sure there are times when you are a little lower(or higher) than where you should be, but you, or anyone for that matter, have never really made a good case that the elo system is placing players where they don't belong.

Second, you haven't actually thought through the idea of awarding bonus elo for assists have you? Many players would do actions to abuse their stats to gain elo. Think about that for a minute and then come back with a good explanation of why we should have bonus elo for assists

Well, for the intricate selections being made, I don't think that your example will be impossible to happen again. If someone has trouble with the champion they'll be up against, they can see if mid will be a better top or if anyone can? It's just a surefire way to eliminate the games where people instalock 2 adcs and everyone just has a bad time. And the meta is what the norm is. Professionals agree upon the meta, and everyone likes to follow what professionals do. Whether we vote on it, or pro's tell us what it will be, it's just going to be the same.