What makes you think youre average or better at this game.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

CerealBoxOfDoom

01-02-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfynsong View Post
First off, JohnTheMage is hilarious.

That said, I judge myself to be better than the average player at my ELO because I actually AM better than the average player at my ELO, simply because I actually know how to play the game.

See, early in the preseason I got trolled/AFK'd down to 800 ELO (before the system was "confident in my rating", and after some 130 ranked games I still can't climb past 950. At present I make like 9 ELO for a win but drop 15 for a loss, so I won't be getting out of here any time soon.

I can hardly believe how bad some of these guys are. I'm talking about common sense **** that they should've known after hitting level 5, such as "you do not attempt to solo the whole enemy team, even if you are Darius or Garen."

I see games all the time where our top lane loses both turrets before 20 minutes WITHOUT the enemy jungler's help, then proceeds to blame our jungler despite the fact that the poor guy has been camping top lane all game trying to help.

Bot lanes where the ADC doesn't know how to last-hit, let alone engage or harass effectively. Basically just stands in place and auto-attacks things and expects the support to keep them alive. Meanwhile said support hasn't even bought a single ward 10 minutes into the game and keeps complaining about the enemy jungler's ganks. (Or, if it's an Alistar player, they trash talk their ADC for feeding while they camp under the turret and do literally NOTHING to help him in lane, not even healing.)

Meanwhile our jungler either spends all day farming and never ganks, or ganks all day and never farms, and either way is useless. Often they refuse to take Smite - especially Shaco junglers. I've even seen an Udyr flat out refuse a leash on blue (the golems killed him about one minute later).

Mid lane is, in the meantime, mostly helmed by yours truly. Which means I mostly trash the other guy in both farm and kills until about 10 minutes, at which point it becomes 5v1 because top and bot both lost lanes but are still trying to farm. Thanks to that I lose my lane as well.

Then in teamfights the poor mage/assassin type champs I like to play woefully discover that they can't 1v1 anyone on the enemy team because all of them (except the enemy mid) are at least 4:1 on K/D ratio versus me, who got face-rolled mid by their whole team and am only at 1:1. Rest of the team is even more useless because they're 1:4 and don't know what the enemy ADC does, or that said ADC is a soft target. They hunt down the Volibear then cry "gg surrender at 20."

...And despite all this adversity, somehow I still win 50% of my games.
I lost 2 towers at top as irelia after bullying yi all laning phase. When my jungler ganked I just let him pick it up because he seemed to need it more since midlane was ****ing all the time cuz kat was getting ganked alot. Then when there were 4 mid and the jungler and kat and somebody else died without killing anybody I saw bot arrive and die and think to myself, at 3AM, I don't think I can do anything about this. So kat whines and b****es about how I didn't help mid when I already told her exactly what would happen if he picked kat mid on this specific team lacking in CC and synergy, especially seeing as I was the one who called mid or support first. Kat did what she wanted and lost two towers.

Later I went mid to join a teamfight, turned it around as soon as I got there, cuz irelia, and pinged yi who was backdooring. 2 champs run with the 1 that could easily kill kat and kat follows alone. I have to choose between saving kat or my towers. Theres a chance I could do something interesting if I follow kat. Yi will just run away and my team will just keep being bad if I go top. So I stayed mid and yi got the tower later backdooring another tower. I got blamed, I guess i take responsibility, though I was 1 of two capable of initiation and most of our team, kat included werent actually doing anything useful or recommended half the time. Each tower I lost fell due to my inability to care, be b****ed at by a baddie, and and think too well at 3am. Oddly enough they later got an inhibitor, not because of the backdooring but because kat got steamrolled and the only champ that could actually rescue her was busy giving her what she wanted to shut her up.

CerealBoxOfDoom

01-02-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by omegam0 View Post
I dont know, but I do believe it. I have the confidence in myself enough to believe I am average. Whether I truly am or not doesnt matter to me, if I thought I was less I may play worse due to the bad self esteem that would give. I try to play with a positive attitude.
I like to believe anime has no negative impact on the world or myself. It makes me feel less bad for watching... I wouldnt get to watch things like this if I didn't tell my self this when I try to sleep at night

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hHKmiRwyBU

omegam0

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-02-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by CerealBoxOfDoom View Post
I like to believe anime has no negative impact on the world or myself. It makes me feel less bad for watching... I wouldnt get to watch things like this if I didn't tell my self this when I try to sleep at night

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hHKmiRwyBU
Sadly I am at work with no youtube access... I will have to check it out when I get home tonight. If I told you the things I tell myself to help me sleep at night you would laugh... or sympathize... either way. =D

Seriously though, I came into this game with the ability to learn and adapt, I have always been decent to great at most games I have played. This game is one I dont feel I am super amazing at, but I have noticed that I have improved vastly since I have started. This is why I believe I am average, if I was good I am sure I wouldnt make the amount of mistakes that I do, and I do tend to make a ton of dumb mistakes that I laugh about later. I believe I am average though, and even if I was better then average, I would rather think I am average, keeps me clear headed and also keeps me from being rude to other people who may be just trying to have fun playing the game.

Peligrad

01-02-2013

Cereal...I'm looking at your match history...and wow...

You'd do so much better if you only knew how to build champions...

A ruby sightstone and static shiv on ashe?

No gold/5 on any of your supports ..

Banner of command?

Teleport nami?

There is a pretty indication that you don't know what you are doing...

CerealBoxOfDoom

01-02-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by omegam0 View Post
Sadly I am at work with no youtube access... I will have to check it out when I get home tonight. If I told you the things I tell myself to help me sleep at night you would laugh... or sympathize... either way. =D

Seriously though, I came into this game with the ability to learn and adapt, I have always been decent to great at most games I have played. This game is one I dont feel I am super amazing at, but I have noticed that I have improved vastly since I have started. This is why I believe I am average, if I was good I am sure I wouldnt make the amount of mistakes that I do, and I do tend to make a ton of dumb mistakes that I laugh about later. I believe I am average though, and even if I was better then average, I would rather think I am average, keeps me clear headed and also keeps me from being rude to other people who may be just trying to have fun playing the game.
So you think youre average because youre better than the old you. But if you gheet even better will you still see yourself as you are now as average? You'd be forced to call it above average, then if it happens again and again...

The link was to the opening theme song of higurashi no naku kuroni. There are about 6-10 main characters, most of them die every so many episodes and the deaths are not in any way meant to be comical or lighthearted. For example there is a scene where a young girl repeatedly stabs herself in the neck with a knife to escape being tazered and taken to have nails driven into her fingertips amongst other painful interrogation tactics from another person who has already tortured and killed most of her friends. This anime is said to have inspired murders across japan but it was a fun watch anyways cuz thats how it goes xD

Baval

01-02-2013

Quote:
The odds of a strong vs weak opponent aren't even
The opponents arent truely chosen at random

If I go start fights in 1000 elementry schools odds are that ill win over half the time

There is also the fact that one can be carried. You may have carried someone else or someone may have carried you. Even for a short period of time it makes a difference.

i almost exclusively play alone. Even if i get carried a few games, and no doubt i have, I doubt anyones lucky enough to get carried more than 50% of the time by randoms, certainly not me. Also i usually have the highest or second highest damage dealt to champions and its always at least competetive, and i almost always win my lane (though not much of a boast on heimerdinger) and can escape or even turn around most jungle ganks (which is a boast on heimerdinger)

and also since ive never had a negatve win loss, my normal elo should be above average meaning my matches should be against above average opponents as well, making my >50% win rate legit. I notice when i play with my friends who have negative win losses i usually carry hard.

omegam0

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-02-2013

Quote:
So you think youre average because youre better than the old you. But if you gheet even better will you still see yourself as you are now as average? You'd be forced to call it above average, then if it happens again and again...

The link was to the opening theme song of higurashi no naku kuroni. There are about 6-10 main characters, most of them die every so many episodes and the deaths are not in any way meant to be comical or lighthearted. For example there is a scene where a young girl repeatedly stabs herself in the neck with a knife to escape being tazered and taken to have nails driven into her fingertips amongst other painful interrogation tactics from another person who has already tortured and killed most of her friends. This anime is said to have inspired murders across japan but it was a fun watch anyways cuz thats how it goes xD

I think AMV Hell used some of that... I will def watch it when I get home. As for how I would see myself, nah I wouldnt be forced to say I am anything other then average, it helps that I have self esteem issues IRL so the way I keep myself from getting down on myself or too hyped about myself (which I beleive leads to dissapointments) is to just maintain that I am just average. It is better then being down on myself and its something I feel I strive to keep up with. I could be the worst player in league and still think I am average, course if I was the best player in league I would still think I was average, not to mention you can be the best at something, but at some point, somebody will come along and be better then you. It is just something I do for myself, keeps me honest on everything else even if I am lying to myself about my skills. I dont know how to explain this properly, and I am horrible at trying to do so.

CerealBoxOfDoom

01-02-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peligrad View Post
Cereal...I'm looking at your match history...and wow...

You'd do so much better if you only knew how to build champions...

A ruby sightstone and static shiv on ashe?

No gold/5 on any of your supports ..

Banner of command?

Teleport nami?

There is a pretty indication that you don't know what you are doing...
My game as ashe:
I picked ashe so we could have a carry and some utility. I didn't realize how bad my team was. Especially our tank. I was the only one warding. I wasnt getting kills partially because nobody was in position. Darius took all of my kills. I intended to stall the game a bit harder but my team insisted on doing whatever they wanted and whined when I gave instructions. So I just tried it out. ruby sightstone seemed to be cheaper than just buying all those wards and for a short while I had actually turned the game around.

Or rather..

Earlygame I was doing well
then darius took my kills

later I did well again and we got ganked and darius died and I still did okay anyways.

later I had some ok damage but the tank ran off to chase kills with darius and I got focused so I always had to run away.

later I farmed alot and warded alot because I was being ganked and focused and they were taking baron and dragon and nobody, including the tank was willing to buy wards so I did it myself.

After spending a **** ton on wards without building enough otherstuff I got the sightstone and focused on building more farm power to in turn build more dps. I picked static shyv because I was the only one pushing lanes that needed it badly while my teammates sat around in mid running back and forth as though they would ever initiate while the enemy team continued to turn the game around.

starting off I my build was actually boots, IE, and a few parts of phantomdancer

My game as nami:
I probably shouldnt run teliport on nami but it seems to work out an awful lot for the most part, moreso than flash or ghost. With banner of command she can actually help to push lanes without endangering herself or needing much help, I never build this early though. That's just stupid.

game starts. Ahri and nidalee decide to go steal the enemy blue on their own. While jax just goes bot and ignores jungle olafs request for a leash at our blue (were purple team) So I blow a ward early because I'm the only one who gives a **** about the jungler and help him kill the golem and head top because judging from the fact nidalee and ahri just went alone to steal the enemy blue and at this point are still fighting the golem I decide I should top with ahri since jax can 2v1 anyways.

So ahri has blue, she immediately spams her spells and pushes the lane against nasus and eve. I just sit there watching and warning her to stop just like I warned her that she wouldn't need blue (even had mana manipulator) but she just pushed and pushed till she burned out. So the two attack her and I rescue her. She gets some more mana from the buff and runs back to push the lane some more. Before the blue buff wore off I had to rescue her about 3 times. Luckily both opponents seemed to think I wasn't capable of defending the tower which resulted in two kills for me and ahri which ahri wouldve got if she was capable of managing her mana without the blue buff. She failed and I had to clean up. Olaf occasionally ganked top, I made sure he always had a good chance of grabbing a kill which he usually did. Unfortunately I missed a Q once and eve got away. I had just been focusing on making sure ahri wasnt in danger and was checking my map not realizing that somehow olaf was losing a melee fight with eve at a glance (she had bursted and he was draining his own hp, he was actually winning) I acted too fast and she split so I had to bounce my W off of olaf to pick up a 3rd kill. The fourth kill was just some random accident in the lategame.

Anyways I ward baron and stuff later on and we even managed to counterbaron lateron and I was able to peel alot and turn some fights in our favor. I fixed lanes whenever I couldnt do much and helped jax and olaf out as needed trying to keep them from getting gibbed while they leveled or whatever. The seemed to be doing ok, ahri was still being bad and nid seemed to disapear, I'm not sure what she did but it sure as hell wasnt anything too helpful.

I have trouble remembering the rest but I actually had very few if any issues with my build.

CerealBoxOfDoom

01-02-2013

funny thing, technically your elo rises just by not playing and waiting for others to become ranked until they have a higher ELO.

ELO decay doesn't fix this because LOL ELO is not really ELO