What makes you think youre average or better at this game.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

CerealBoxOfDoom

01-01-2013

What is the foundation upon which you judge yourself in a game where the matches are not 100% random nor are the odds of meeting good players the same as meeting bad ones. What makes you think you're qualified to judge if a champion is op or not.

In my case, I have read and memorized alot of material and can go all cartesian on pretty much any subject (take everything off the table and start from scratch explaining something with only that which can be proven.)

I'm also fairly good at reading games and turning some games around which I think is harder than carrying

Frightning

01-01-2013

Well for starters there is my >50% win rate I have, and I have also noted that on average I perform pretty well in my games (above avg. gold, KDA ratios, dmg to champions, etc.). I have a pretty good sense of whats going to happen in a game before it does, and know how to capitalize on opportunities and take objectives. Beyond this, I have often correctly anticipated certain champions being/becoming OP/UP fairly often (e.g. Talon being OP, although the new items have been nice to him, they've been nice to a lot of AD champions, Talon was this OP back in season 2 and I knew it).

CerealBoxOfDoom

01-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frightning View Post
Well for starters there is my >50% win rate I have, and I have also noted that on average I perform pretty well in my games (above avg. gold, KDA ratios, dmg to champions, etc.). I have a pretty good sense of whats going to happen in a game before it does, and know how to capitalize on opportunities and take objectives. Beyond this, I have often correctly anticipated certain champions being/becoming OP/UP fairly often (e.g. Talon being OP, although the new items have been nice to him, they've been nice to a lot of AD champions, Talon was this OP back in season 2 and I knew it).
Is talon really OP?How do you know the worth of your abilities. If I went down the street and challenged 1000 people to chess I guarantee you I'd win 75%+ of every game I play with draws counting as losses. That doesn't mean im great or even average at chess though.

Frightning

01-01-2013

Talon has the 6th highest win rate in the game atm (according http://www.lolking.net/champions/, also check his win rate in Platinum elo too, those ppl actually are good at the game), and I have him and have played him a fair amount myself, and I have absurdly good win rate (~70%, no joke) with him, and I don't think I'm even that good with him. (If you want details on why I think he's OP, I can explain)

I took the average in your original question to be the 50th percentile (median) instead of the mean, which is difficult to gauge and is also not a stable measure of center (and player skill is a distribution with a strong skew to one side). Based on what my (hidden) normal elo was last summer, when we could still determine Normal elos, I was at least 60th percentile. I consider myself merely decent at the game, nothing more.

Mattafack

01-01-2013

Talon is powerful, and it's crazy to go up against him as an AP carry. ganks could work, unless he just pops his ult. You could stop THAT by buying oracle's, but should a champion really be that much trouble just to MAYBE kill him? As far as fighting him goes, he just silences you, Q's, W's, not necessarily in that order, and then ults right when the silence wears off. Then what? You're left with a circle of blades rushing at you, that probably deal the killing blow. Talon then wonders off to other lanes, most likely killing people who are overextended. I just don't know something to have with me to fight a Talon in mid lane. If someone could explain to me what to do, it would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry for getting off-topic. As for the thing that makes me feel decent about my skills:

I wouldn't say I'm amazing at prediction, but sometimes I get things right and know what to do strategically to get an advantage.
That being said, I'm not the most amazing fighter because I panic xD but it's something I'm working on. Overall, just the fact that I want to improve myself through every game makes me a decent player.

JashobeamZ

01-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mardalador View Post
Talon is powerful, and it's crazy to go up against him as an AP carry. ganks could work, unless he just pops his ult. You could stop THAT by buying oracle's, but should a champion really be that much trouble just to MAYBE kill him? As far as fighting him goes, he just silences you, Q's, W's, not necessarily in that order, and then ults right when the silence wears off. Then what? You're left with a circle of blades rushing at you, that probably deal the killing blow. Talon then wonders off to other lanes, most likely killing people who are overextended. I just don't know something to have with me to fight a Talon in mid lane. If someone could explain to me what to do, it would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry for getting off-topic. As for the thing that makes me feel decent about my skills:

I wouldn't say I'm amazing at prediction, but sometimes I get things right and know what to do strategically to get an advantage.
That being said, I'm not the most amazing fighter because I panic xD but it's something I'm working on. Overall, just the fact that I want to improve myself through every game makes me a decent player.
every time i play against a talon i carry a vision ward around so i can place it, and screw him as soon as he tries to get away with his ult, same deal with akali bubble and twitch invisi. If im any champ with cc or burst they are screwed.

Mattafack

01-01-2013

Thanks for the tip, only thing is he gains some movement speed, but that's not much of a problem.

CerealBoxOfDoom

01-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frightning View Post
Talon has the 6th highest win rate in the game atm (according http://www.lolking.net/champions/, also check his win rate in Platinum elo too, those ppl actually are good at the game), and I have him and have played him a fair amount myself, and I have absurdly good win rate (~70%, no joke) with him, and I don't think I'm even that good with him. (If you want details on why I think he's OP, I can explain)

I took the average in your original question to be the 50th percentile (median) instead of the mean, which is difficult to gauge and is also not a stable measure of center (and player skill is a distribution with a strong skew to one side). Based on what my (hidden) normal elo was last summer, when we could still determine Normal elos, I was at least 60th percentile. I consider myself merely decent at the game, nothing more.
So lolking statistics is your answer. Under the pretense that it is authoritative and an accurate representation at all times this is an acceptable answer. Your high win rate with talon doesnt say much though.

Keitterman

01-01-2013

So I think I'm above average at this game because I once killed an Ahri using Darius.
*trollface*

Baval

01-01-2013

i have a >50% win rate and i play heimerdinger and land most of my grenades. ive also carried a few games as heimerdinger. Not super pro or anything, but at least good.