How to play against a counter

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

MadRubicant

01-01-2013

So yesterday, I was playing normal draft, hoping to play Kassadin mid. First pick Teemo, hell no am I playing a melee caster against Teemo, so I go Ryze. Turns out the Teemo was bot, and it was Viktor mid, one of Ryze's counters (according to championselect.net). I had a wonderful time laning against the superior range on death ray, and I got a few kills from jungler ganks, and died a few times to jungler ganks. Overall, I lost the lane, and my team lost the match.

To make a long story short, I need tips on how to lane when you've been counterpicked.

adc

01-01-2013

Ryze is going to be a far stronger late game hero than Viktor will (though he's by no means bad late game). So farm, take kills where you can, dodge the laser, ward, and get to late game teamfights.

Causing Panic

01-01-2013

the trick to playing against any counter is play safe wait for them to make mistakes and capitalize on it, dont try to fight them unless you know you can win,otherwise wait for your jungler for ganks

Taeban

01-01-2013

There really isn't much you can do. What you need to do is zone him out as best you can and try to out farm him. Farm is everything, especially when you've been counterpicked. Having a good jungle that ganks always helps. Often times, you have to make that range he has mean nothing, which means getting well inside his range so that he's well inside yours. It's dangerous, but if you're smart with your engagements and know when to get out, you should be fine. You'll probably end up in a push war if you do it right, or just an outright lane victory. Both work for you. A push war will give you more than enough opportunity to farm, and his tower will take all of his farm. If you keep a sharp eye on your mini-map and a sharp eye out for jungle ganks, you should be able to win the lane overall. (Even if you don't take the tower)

MadRubicant

01-01-2013

So best I can tell, I should farm as much as possible while watching for jungler ganks. And as for lategame, I think only our toplane (Warwick) won, so the enemy team was somewhat fed. Also, Lee Sin ganks are just wonderful to play against.

Best Kayledyr NA

01-01-2013

Yeah, there is counters, but by no means are counters what defines if you win or lose your lane, it could make it hard, or very hard but not and instant win

Tucking Sits

01-01-2013

The only thing you can do is play it safely, and be somewhat passive (depending on their advantages over your champion). If the enemy champion lacks a decent poke, poke them. If they have a far better poke than you do, then just sit tight, farm, and wait for a jungle gank that should hopefully be on it's way.

Cheap0

01-01-2013

If you're really serious about learning and playing a champion, playing against your counterpicks can be a very good thing. You really learn the limits of your champion and how to make the best of a difficult situation. You're forced to get creative or be dominated, both in your play and in your itemization.

In essence, what I'm saying is that you shouldn't be too afraid of being counterpicked. If you really learn a champion really well, you'll be surprised to find that lanes that "counter" you aren't as bad as you might think.

Elefes

01-12-2013

You just do whatever it takes to not lose many cs, that's it. As far as you're countered, you won't be able to get easy kills and/or trade dmg effectively. Pretty much, if he doesn't make major mistake, you won't win lane. Your job is to not die, don't fall behind in cs, don't let him freely pressure other lanes, and try to gank here and there yourself (especially if u play mid).
It's also very fun and rewarding to play against counters - that's where REAL skill shows up.

phantom1516

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-12-2013

try to out cc them and poke when u got the chance. dond try to engage unless you know you can kill them.