Hydra champion concept (rough)

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

LonelyLiamNeeson

01-01-2013

So I was thinking of a hydra champ and a concept we could use for her

I'm thinking she could start with 3 heads at lvl 1 and these could increase in number each time she levels up her ultimate, ending with a total of 6 heads at lvl 16 plus the heads from her passive skill.

Deadly Mouths(passive)- When she is autoattacked 3 times, an additional head sprouts. at level 1-5 the ability cannot stack more than once. 6-10 she may gain a second stack and a second head. level 11-15 will be able to stack three times, and 16-18 will be able to stack 4 times, ending with a possible total of 10 heads. These stacks are permanent and each add a bonus amount of health to the champion. upon losing this bonus health, the head will decay and the stacks will be lost.

Decay(q)- She breathes a cone of deadly venom and gas from all of her heads that poisons her victims. damage increases for each stack of Deadly Mouths active.

Armor of the Dead( w)(passive)- She protects herself with the bodies of her victims. Every time she kills a minion or champion she gains a stack of Armor of the Dead. For every stack, up to 15 stacks, she gains additional armor. (active)- upon reaching 15 stacks, she can detonate them, sacrificing all bonus armor to deal a close range aoe explosion that slows anyone in range.

Cannibal Martyrdom(e)- She sacrifices one of her stacks of Deadly Mouths in order to empower her next autoattack. this skill cannot stack.

Carnivorous Growth(ultimate)- She instantly gains maximum stacks on Deadly Mouths and releases a poisonous gas in her wake wherever she moves. while under the effects of carnivorous growth, all skills have increased range. all stacks of Deadly Mouths act as regular stacks and can be removed in the same way. Deadly mouths stacks automatically replenish slowly over a short duration.

this is still rough, and I'm not an artist. please feel free to give feedback and suggest ratios.

LonelyLiamNeeson

01-01-2013

c'mon comment!

nahash117

Recruiter

01-01-2013

i like this concept a lot, riot needs to add more non-human champs anyway. why not a badass hydra!

LonelyLiamNeeson

01-01-2013

and a tanky melee character that gets more powerful the more you autoattack it? why not?!

LonelyLiamNeeson

01-04-2013

keep this alive!

Hi Its Mikasa

01-04-2013

too OP.

Tael Zenith

01-05-2013

I'm always up for some monster champions; so lets get started!

Passive seems a little strange; she gets autoattacked 3 times and then gets a head? It almost seems that she will be in a constant state of mid-range head counts as successive hits on her would lower her HP; thus killing heads but via getting auto'ed she would get more heads and get more health.

This reminds me of old school Shen; if you didn't know, got his Ki Strike (passive) reduced on getting hit, instead of his own auto attacks.This has a unique effect of punishing the player of the champion if the enemy team is good enough to know better.

I feel like late game ADC's could possibly kill you before taking full effect of your passive (if it wasn't already stacked) and burst champions (or any primary caster type; Talon, Panth, Kha'Zix) could be your worst nightmare at all levels of the game.

But! I think we can definitely do something along the lines of this passive or tied to an ability; ideally not the ult; since it might feel to similar to Cho'Gath's Feast. But we could probably figure something out (the gears are turning!)

Seems like all of your abilities are pretty solid on the surface; but they could use a bit of fine tuning to get her kit to work together more effectively.

She sounds like a permanent top laner; with a completely broken jungle, and here is why-
Every 3 auto attacks: Gains bonus health. There is only one minion camp that has less then three monsters, the double golems. Every other camp would do the initial damage of 1 auto attack each (less in the wraith camp) and then she has permanent health steroid since anytime the head dies, it would be basically instantly reborn from monster autos.

I know that's probably getting more into it since this is a rough idea; but consider these things in champ design!
We could fix this with either a cooldown between activations(preferred) or monster/minion autos do not work to trigger the passive, which would completely eliminate any ability for her to jungle without a million gold in pots since she has no innate heal.

Her passive only working on autos also makes her hyper-susceptible to poke in lane, unless she works to get that minion aggro; as a trade off of being able to handle ganks better than most (free HP in the middle of one? Yes plox!)

I assume the Hydra was designed to be a melee/close range champion, but I see no mention of any gap closer or CC of any kind! At this point she would never be able to engage on her own terms and just have to hope that the enemy underestimates her when they decide to engage.

I think that is it for my critical analysis; moving on!

I like the idea of a beast-mode champion that scales into late game similar to Cho'Gath, but in a way that looks and feels different (bonus Arm/Mr? AD/AS?).
I imagine a melee range AD bruiser designed for top lane/jungle.
We need medium-long duration soft CC, or a short CC and gap closer to make it more difficult for the enemy to get away/kite us.
I like to imagine a 2-3 Champion hybrid to use as a bit of a baseline. Since I liked your use of poison; like and an ancient venomous hydra so I'm a little fixated on a Singed/Cho'Gath mix, except AD which should help to distinguish her even more from either of those champs.

I have a couple ideas in mind (not enough for a full kit, though) and I don't want to remake your champ for you! So I hope I helped you with this feedback; I look forward to seeing a reinvisioning of a horrible hydra monster that I don't want to see in my jungle!

(Or my enemies, for the matter!)

Cyborg Scorpion

01-06-2013

dude, concept is awesome. seen quite a few of these in my time, this one has potential. passive is op though. 3 autoattacks is too few. perhaps 5 from lvls 1-5, then 10 from 6-11, and 15 from 12-18. for her q, i was thinking that the cone would get larger per head instead of increasing damage, but only by about 40 units, therefore adding a whole new way to harass. for the w, i think it would be reasonable to sacrifice one head, but to keep half the stacks on detonation, but every 30 seconds out of combat, she loses a stack. this way it forces players to remain in the action. i also feel like we need another malphite. he can jungle well, and top lane like a boss, and he is constantly banned because of that. we need a champion similar to him who can ap tank or jungle, while being able to efficiently deal with ganks. this champ can be extremely useful with a rylais and rod of ages cause it works out by making her durable and more powerful as the battle rages on. as for her e, it is a bit useless. instead of only empowering her next auto attack, you could make it sacrifice a head to heal her and temporarily increase ad, ap, and ms because she is lighter, but make it a medium cd like 35-33-30-27-25 so that you have no way to get players to constantly buff her. her r has some potential to be a massive CC with a poison cloud. but make the poison lower than her q by a lot, and make her ap boost. otherwise, a pretty solid idea, but take a look at the base stats of tanks like nunu, ali, malph, naut and amumu, since they are all solid junglers.

Cyborg Scorpion

01-06-2013

For Lore

"My life was simple long ago. I only fight to get it back." -Nalaryks. the hydra

during the years following the rune wars, the remnant magic that was not contained seeped into nature and the animal kingdom. one such case was a lizard we now know as Nalaryks. As time passed, she be came sentient and eventually she and the rest of her kind in the region began to change into creatures who expired toxic gasses capable of killing a bear in minutes. not only that, but every so often she would sprout a head, although like her teeth, they would all eventually die and fall off, except for her original one. some time later, after waking from hibernation, she was found by summoners in search of champions. one of them foolishly drew his sword. she immediately felt provoked and pat the gasses at him killing him instantly. after losing three heads and suffering many wounds she eventually was overcome by the summoners and brought to the league. when she realized that she might be able to find someone who could undo the changes to her body, she offered her services as a champion in exchange for them to find a way to change her back.

N.B. Nalaryks is pronounced Na-lar-ix