Darius (Not a QQ thread)

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Tectonic

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-01-2013

I tend to have a hard time against Darius, as a lot of people do. I hear a lot of people complaining about him (not that I blame them) but I dont really see anyone talking about how to beat him. In lane he is extremely strong from the very onset, and doesnt fall of into the late game. He doesnt have a strong escape, but the jungler cannot afford to babysit me every game. Also darius can still be very dangerous when building a lot of defense items, and recovers well if beat early. I have played darius enough to be familiar with his cooldowns and can beat darius sometimes, but a good player with darius is very hard to stop.

TLDR. What strategies work against Darius that don't rely on darius making mistakes? Which champs + strategies beat him?

Thanks in advance guys

Bolexle

01-01-2013

Honestly, the best counter to Darius is to run extremely late game comp. He steals a lot of kills that should be going onto the enemy carries and weakens them in return, and your carries won't have this issue. Run champs like Vayne, Orianna, Cho'Gath, etc.

Also, a couple great champions that semi-counter him are Kayle, Zilean, and Lulu. Basically if any of these champs time their ults right they will counter his ult, leaving him almost useless for the rest of the teamfight.

iDpark

01-01-2013

Darius beats alot of melees. Anyone who outranges his pull will probably win.
I'd even consider karma. Heal + sheild = OP ult counter. And you can kite using W.

Karma new counter to Darius, BAM!

but yeah. Briuser vayne works VS darius. Get caught by pull, no prob, just condemn and tumble away.
(Only problem is that if you build squishy you'll die unless at full to one full combo.)

Gangplank, Oranges + Q harass.

Build HP. He gets alot of Armor pen.

Cho counters him sorta, HP from ult, silence, and he has a range to clear creep waves safely.

Really either anyone who has long range or can clear creep waves quickly. AD Nidalee.
I can go on forever.

Build HP, Armor, and be ranged.

Kensai07

01-01-2013

I've never had an issue as Malph, but I play blind generally so bans aren't of concern :P

So I guess my point is invalid in ranked.

rekkless

01-02-2013

if you are talking about countering him in lane champions like jayce teemo and GP who have strong ranged poke can handle him, do NOT let him force you into a fight unless you are way ahead in HP

Failethe

01-02-2013

Darius is one of my main champs I play. Contrary to popular belief, teemo does not counter Darius. If the darius player knows what he is doing, he stays back, misses a few cs but doesn't get poked, then at lvls 3/4 he destroys teemo. Kayle is an excellent counter to darius and cho-gath can beat him as well (though before 6 darius clearly wins trades and he can definitely win). Gona list champs that are good against him below...

Kayle
nidalee (if she doesn't die before 6 - but she usually does!)
Jayce
Elise (she does well but darius can beat her)
Jax doesn't usually beat darius but he usually doesn't lose either
Kennen can do well but if he gets caught he dies a horrible death - don't waste your move speed spell!
Pantheon - can win but it goes both ways. Both bursty but pantheon does have stun and shield.
Yorick - stupid sustain and high dmg. Very hard for darius.

People darius annihilates:
Singed
Irelia - but darius needs to play it smart. She can be tricky.
Nasus - most of darius dmg does not come from his attacks - Q, attack, w, e, attack, r dead
Regnar - at least every rengar I've faced has been destroyed
Talon - outclassed
Teemo - I've played against teemo 3-4 times on darius - He generally ends up something like 0/3 w/ half my cs
Tryndamere - I'd assume. Though the ult could be nasty I guess. Sub 6 for sure.
Wukong - the aoe attack works well when wukong invis. Also he is more powerful than wukong in general.

I'm sure I could add more champs but that gives u a feel for whats good and what isn't vs darius. GL

All Delete

01-02-2013

Teemo.

Ronyk

01-02-2013

Renekton is my main top champ, and I've had a few tussels with Darius. Pre level six, it's very skill heavy. Either commit to fights or dont start them. Darius starts winning when you decide to run (the DOT passive that gives him MS, plus he gets extra damage with his spin). Luckily, both his spin and his apprehend are dodgeable, and it's pretty easy to get Darius to waste mana (at least with Renekton's dash).

It's important to remember Apprehend's range (540u) and to learn the range of your own abilities. If Darius apprehends you, fight him. Running loses fights against him.

After level six, Darius' ulti can be baited out, just like his abilities pre level six. I don't personally run either barrier or heal, but one could use those to help trick him when you're low life. As Renekton, I use elixer of fortitude & my ultimate at the same time. Good Darius' are good at math, and know when to use their ulti. This will mess with them, usually enough to secure a kill on him in a close duel.

Lilmk

01-02-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Failethe View Post
Elise (she does well but darius can beat her)
No... no. Elise is one of the hardest counter to Darius. Let's look at why.

- CSing -

Elise mops the floor really, no contest. If Darius gets 1 cs, he also loses a good deal of his health. Not 25% good deal. But enough. IT'll get to the point where Darius will get zoned ridic hard, Elise can freeze mid lane, and whenever Darius gets in range... both Darius and Elise will be QQing. (see: Elise's Neurotoxin Poison(her Q))

- Trades -

Hard for Darius to trade when she out ranges him, even if he manages to pull her, she won't die. All she has to do is stun, then she can turn it around and possibly pick up a kill or at the least do a good deal of damage. Not only that, but like I said, Elise will be able to poke him down so hard, without him doing any damage.

- Ganks -

What does Darius have for escaping ganks? Not alot. While we compare this to Elise, who has Rappel which she can use on to enemy minions if it benefits her, or she can use it to get a Zhonya's Active. Then she has some passive movement speed and defenses in her spider form. Plus she has a stun which will come in handy. With Elise I can easily turn a potential death from gank in to a kill or sometimes a double kill. Without me going below 25% health.

- Her team ganking -

As I said, Darius can't escape ganks very well. Meanwhile, if Elise really needs to, she can Spider form Rappel and then Cocoon. She can then deal very tough burst damage while the jungler gets off his butt and helps. Ganks are very potent, though against Darius, she doesn't really need ganks .

- Kill Potential -

This is when both commit and one will die. Or burn flash atleast ormally trying to get away. Elise wins this as well. Due to the fact she can poke at Darius very well. Then when they commit. Or when Elise goes for the kill, she can Cocoon (stun) Q W R (into spiderform) W, then if you need to E either to escape if you got caught off guard by a gank or you can Q for the slam dunk.

Overall, Elise beats Darius in every category, any Elise that loses to a Darius (that has played more than 5 games with her) should look for a different champ.

Just my opinion. Also Elise is very anti bruiser. So this works against someone like Garen or even singed and irelia.

Failethe

01-02-2013

You may be right - I only went against elise once on darius and it was a pretty even lane at the time. But I can see why she is hard for him. Anyways. good points.