Sunfire Cape + Leona

12345 ... 9
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Endertome

01-01-2013

I have always felt that this item should have special synergy for Leona.

I mean. She is the champion of the Sun, the Radiant Dawn. And it is the Sunfire Cape.

Today, I had an epiphany.

Why not allow Sunfire Cape's ticks to ignite Leona's Sunlight passive?

That is. A Sunfire Cape that Leona herself owns. Triggering her passive with its AoE ticks.

This would allow Leona to operate solo more easily--Something that many Leona players would really appreciate--but only if she builds for it.

As a hidden item passive, this would be most excellent. It also prevents Leona activating her own passive from becoming too unbalancing, and does not affect support Leona in the least because they would have to build Sunfire Cape to do it.

I think this would be the best way to help Leona have more options other than Support. Certainly some players might feel "forced" to pick Sunfire Cape, but overall this actually increases the ways she could contribute to her team.

Thoughts?

EDIT: @IronStylus Red Bait
Leona and Diana Pool Party Bikini Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endertome View Post
The suggestion has kind of expanded to all damage items, not just sunfire cape. If it's all damage items, then it'd include things like Sheen/Lichbane, and a jungling Leona could get the Machete to get it on jungle mobs as a first item.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endertome
If you see Leona and another support on the enemy team, she could be counterable by an AP top since she's forced to rush an armor item. But she might be the Jungler. Or she might be going bot with the support and the ADC goes top.

Can you imagine Bruiser Leona being fed kills?
Quote:
Leona's damage is really lackluster. A change like this would only bring her damage in line with other solo champions. In fact, she'd probably still be on the low end of damage output. Just enough to be competitive and capable of bringing down an opponent who can't outplay her.
Quote:
Bonetooth Necklace comes to mind for "an item that has a bonus effect on someone that is very noticeable". It'd certainly make Sunfire Cape more exciting to use.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enderzone View Post
I had an idea a while ago where any item that does damage could set off Leona's passive. Sheen procs, Sunfire Cape, Machete (Whooo jungle leona!), Lizard elder item thing and/or buff, whatever. That way a support Leona wouldn't be setting it off by accident, while a solo leona would be able to access the damage after a bit.

Jungle Leona would just get Machete and have access to it on monsters but not champs.
Top/Mid Leona could get some form of Sheen and have the passive before lane phase generally ends.
Support Leona just avoids getting SF cape unless she wants the damage for herself for some reason.

Hell, with sheen it'd give a good reason to space out her abilities so you could get more passive procs. I find that when i play Leona i space my abilities out anyways so that i maximize the CC.

Pipotchi

01-01-2013

but sunfire cape is pretty perfect on leona anyway, so she wouldnt be going out of her way at all to build it. itd just be regular leona, except her passive would proc every time she casted.

Boss Aegis

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-01-2013

Make it deal true damage, then.

The way you have it set up it wouldn't scale with the bearer's magic penetration since it wouldn't be damage from the bearer, just from the cape itself.

Endertome

01-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipotchi View Post
but sunfire cape is pretty perfect on leona anyway, so she wouldnt be going out of her way at all to build it. itd just be regular leona, except her passive would proc every time she casted.
So a Leona who wants her passive to be saved and popped by the ADC or other teammates would just not build Sunfire Cape.

It's my understanding that Support Leona tends to shirk Sunfire in favor of aura items.

Asylum Lux

01-01-2013

It's a great idea, but that sounds a little bit too gimmicky and irrelevant for Riot. Then again there's the whole "The Hunt Is On" thing, so who knows.

Ternce

01-01-2013

Could never do this. It would more or less be an optimal item, and she would be pigeonholed into buying it every game.

Riot hates it when people feel like they have to get a certain item for a certain champion, despite how certain items feel like they were just made for certain people (Like Catalyst on Singed for example, or Sheen on Blitzcrank).

Endertome

01-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss Aegis View Post
Make it deal true damage, then.

The way you have it set up it wouldn't scale with the bearer's magic penetration since it wouldn't be damage from the bearer, just from the cape itself.
That might be too much. It could just be altered to scale with Leona's Magic Pen.

Your Persona

01-01-2013

I always buy Locket of the Iron Solari on Leona.

Always.

Endertome

01-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ternce View Post
Could never do this. It would more or less be an optimal item, and she would be pigeonholed into buying it every game.

Riot hates it when people feel like they have to get a certain item for a certain champion, despite how certain items feel like they were just made for certain people (Like Catalyst on Singed for example, or Sheen on Blitzcrank).
Bonetooth Necklace on Rengar comes to mind.

The difference between that and this, though, is that anyone can build Sunfire, it would just have special synergy with Leona's passive and allow her to actually make use of it herself--But only if she builds for it.

Support Leonas tend to use their passive to add to the damage of the person they're supporting, so they wouldn't want to pop it themselves anyway.

Endertome

01-01-2013

Bump

the point of this is to give the champion more options. As it is, the way her passive works is what pigeonholes her into the Support role every game. Giving her a build option that alters the effect of her passive will give Leona more possible options.

Admittedly, Sunfire Cape is a bit expensive for this purpose. But, the result I believe is very much worth it.

12345 ... 9