[Discussion]Starting item on mages

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Captain Scro

01-08-2010

I play kass mainly as my mage hero. I used to go mana crystal + 1hp pot +1mana pot yet recently Ive started off immediately working towards haunted guise by buying the hp and mp regen items. These let me lane forever and usually by the time I have to go back I have enough for the guise and a soulstealer aswell. (like 2100g i think). This is my personal build currently so I make no claims that its the greatest ever but you should at least try it out, you just might like it.

Gaeb

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-08-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Scro View Post
I play kass mainly as my mage hero. I used to go mana crystal + 1hp pot +1mana pot yet recently Ive started off immediately working towards haunted guise by buying the hp and mp regen items. These let me lane forever and usually by the time I have to go back I have enough for the guise and a soulstealer aswell. (like 2100g i think). This is my personal build currently so I make no claims that its the greatest ever but you should at least try it out, you just might like it.
I've tried this route on a few heroes - Guise is 10% cdr and 20 pen, which is great, but that said I have found after trying both that a catalyst is by far and away my preferred first item on nearly any mage-style char, so I go that route. Janna's been the exception - tornado spam early is fantastic, so I go meki, and later upgrade to codex then nashor - often after a catalyst.

Captain Scro

01-08-2010

you're right, catalyst is great. I only had a few problems with it:

Trying to figure out the best time to upgrade to RoA. On one hand the level-up refresh is great, on the other you want your RoA to start growing in power asap. Id often find myself more concerned with how the game is progressing and how long I expect it to go instead of focusing on map awareness and teamwork.

The hp/mp you get when you level up is great but it can be really difficult sometimes to get that level when you really need it. I know, i know, if you're pro then you make it work for you. Well I could, but I play pretty casually so having to factor in my xp growth with my hp/mp and when i need to return to base is too much of a hassle. Id rather just have the constant regen going. Maybe Im just lazy...heh

Still, catalyst-->RoA is probably the best all around item build in the game. Just about everyone can benefit greatly from it and its fairly inexpensive to build.

And yes I know you can build other things with catalyst but we're talking mages so Im just assuming that RoA is the next logical upgrade but as always different circumstances call for different tactics.