Why is Ashe such a popular pick?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

OriginalJack

01-02-2013

To all those people who say ashe is easily countered when you get to higher elo... what "higher elo" are we talking about exactly? I'm 1300 elo (not that high I realize) and I've never really felt like I've ever been countered as ashe to the point that I didn't feel like I couldn't win my lane or atleast go even. So are we talking 1500 elo? 1800 elo? Where does ashe start becoming a bad pick?

Durentis

01-02-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by SacredMesa View Post
Maxing cdr, ignoring cleanse as a viable summoner, building static shiv and the like however proves your earlier statement about your own misconceptions. Ashe is an adc who happens to have a lot of utility in her kit. That doesnt mean she will build differently than other adcs, ie you want to focus on crit atk speed and ad using ga as your survivability and last whisper to get through high armor targets.
I don't ignore crit and atk speed at all - in fact, I explained about it to an enemy Ashe after a game when she asked how I shot twice a second. Tthere's just too much to have put into my ramble and I assumed it the 'obvious' part of an adc. And Guardian Angel just seems underwhelming to me. I'd rather build a sash into the Mercurial Scimitar if I need some MR or the Shroud into Frozen Heart (or Wriggle's Lantern for the LS and Wards) if I want a little Armor. But umm.. defenses.. yeah. Hard to justify when you always take the fewest, if any, deaths on the team. /shrug

My current build typically includes +15mv Ionian Boots, Statikk Shiv, Phantom Dancer, Last Whisper, and Infinity Blade. I'm eying Zephyr as a replacement for the early Phantom Dancer, possibly using both. So believe me when I say I'm all over the benefits of crit and atk speed. Note that the Shiv synergises very well with both and gets you more early gold. But I don't think you can just ignore the other aspects of Ashe and it's those often ignored aspects that I mentioned in my first post.

Quote:
While her e is nice it is generally the ability you max 2nd with her w being first as it is your main means of survival in lane.
This is what I do. Most guides I've read would have you bounce between W and Q early on. It should, in my opinion, be W and E (R when available), and then focus Q after 3-4E or so. My point was that the guides seem backwards given their own complaints of not having enough gold for ideal items and not needing Q for early laning.

Quote:
When you get higher level and things like proper team comps team fighting as well as junglers and roaming mids really become a thing you will start to understand a lot more about the game, and why summoners like flash are require on almost everyone.
Perhaps. I have an open mind and don't like to lose.. so my build will change as necessary. But something to keep in mind is that summoner spells have a lengthy cooldown. You get one use and then have to live without it for a while.. you can't really build around it too much. Instead you just play in a style that capitalizes on what you take. Taking cleanse would certainly help if you get CC'd but how many times will you be lethally CC'd vs. how many times would Barrier or Flash or Heal (or even, ugh, Clarity) be useful? Taking cleanse as Ashe feels like admitting "yes, I'll be out of position and/or caught off guard a lot.. I hope it's up when I need it..". And Zephyr gives a permanent Tenacity.

If flash really is required on almost everyone, it needs to be nerfed so that other spells have more value. But I don't think this is the case.

Problem with always obeying meta, besides that it changes (sometimes drastically) over time, is that you are always doing what people expect. Tilt carefully, but do tilt.

Anyway.. if Ashe doesn't rock, PEBKAC. Pretty much all there is to it, I think.

ChiSqrd

01-02-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by CertifiedRetard View Post
Ashe does a ton of damage early on, great zoning ability and great over all. Like all adc's they have to be fed so a great support is needed.
WTF! No wonder so many people are bad at this game. Ashe has a weak early game. Why the hell do you think Nunu Ashe is a good combo? And the slows obviously.

TekkShell

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-02-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krypteria View Post
Why is Ashe such a popular pick when she is countered by almost every other ADC in the game and most supports,
-Ezreal
-Graves
-Draven
-Vayne
-Varus
-Caitlyn
-Sivir
-Twitch
-Blitzcrank
-Taric
ect... all counter her and yet she is still picked a lot,
Her early game is OK but she is really slow (Movement wise) and has next to no escape ability (If she gets ganked ect...) Her late game is ehh unless she's really fed and the only thing thats really useful about her is her ultimate (for initiating or getting those skill shot kills across the map) and her hawkshot for viewing un-warded area's of the map (Can be used to counter baron/dragon ect...)

She also counters barely any champs herself the only ones she counters hard are Miss fortune, Corki and Darius thats about it so Ashe players have to pretty much pray that there laning against MF or Corki with Darius support or get an early lead to get some feeling of lane dominance which comes back to my previous question why is Ashe such a popular pick when she is so strongly countered?
Have you played Ashe? Yes most ADC champs are good, but with a support like Voli, Alistar, Taric or Lux Ashe can be devastating. Frost Arrow can get her kills on multiple champs, she isn't as reliant on mana as other champs so she doesn't need to buy anything to boost her mana. If played correctly Ashe can be the best ADC in the game, relying heavily on critical damage and her slowing ability she's really strong early game and can be even stronger late game. Building her is a bit tricky though depending on how you plan to use her she can either do large amounts of damage quickly or grief the other team in team fights. Her Volley ability can hit and last hit minions quickly as well as slow and give her the ability to capitalize on enemy champion kills, when used properly with a champion like Volibear as support you can kill early with successful level 1 and 2 kills, with ganks from the jungle it's easy to achieve double kills bottom. Playing with Lux support is sort of the same; Lux snare, Volley, Frost Shot until death. Taric is the same: Stun, Volley Frosty Shot until death. Building Ashe is simple, attack speed, damage and Crit also adding some utility does help, when I played Ashe before the end of season two and the new items were released I used the following; Boots of Swiftness, Phantom Dancer, Infinity Edge, Bloodthirster, Black Cleaver, and depending on the game I would get either a Frozen Mallet for a little extra hp and the stackable slow effect or another Phantom Dancer for more crit and move speed.

Eloquid

01-02-2013

Because she is on right margin of this forum pages and gets into ppl's subconsciousness.

Crustededge

01-02-2013

A buddy of mine plays ashe often and I play as soraka and we havent lost a game yet with that comp. Unlimited heavy poke and the ability to prevent escape entirely with a stun and a silence. Give it a try, its impressive.

CORNBRE4D

01-02-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krypteria View Post
Actually your wrong when you say Ashe has more range than Ez,
Ashe: Volley: Range: 600
Ashe: Enchanted crystal arrow: Range: 20000

Ezreal: Mystic shot: Range: 1150
Ezreal: Essence flux: Range: 1000
Ezreal: True shot barrage: Range: 20000

Ezreal can easily counter Ashe by poking her to death at a much further distance while she barely touches him and not to mention Ezreal's Arcane shift which is basically a personal flash that can be used as a gap closer or to escape any bad situations and one of Ashe's counters are Gap closers because she has no get away abilities and she's a super squishy champion that cant handle being jumped on.

Ezreal is not an AD caster. His mystic shot can't go through minions and it can't crit, his W can hit her through minions but it hits like a wet noodle when you build AD. I play graves, ashe, ez, vayne, corki etc. At the end of the day 40 mins in when your mystic shot hits like a wet noodle, you eventually have to get to AA range to do some damage.

I'm not saying ashe is better then Ez, but i'm calling it how it is. She has a longer AA range then him, she has perma slows for free, she has a long range vision reveal, and she has a powerful stun. To say she can't kyte is a joke.

Heracliff12

01-02-2013

I've never actually tried Ashe except for the tutorial lol but i know she is a very good support because my favorite champ volibear (I pick him all the time) and ashe in bot on summoners rift AND WE WIN EVERYTIME so first I come and hide in the bush if they are not alrdy there we start to gank early Ashe with her icy arrows and me with my rolling thunder and i soon get medium health but if they still insist on fighting us then i hurridly rolling thunder, ashe slows them down and boom first kill but if i'm very close to the turret i flash away and recall then come back for more anyways a lot of kills later ( Ashe gets all the kills ks :P BUT a kill is a kill and that matters more) we finally win in the end and I havent lost yet with ashe and me bot i always say were Freljords PERFECT couple

CatInAPC

01-02-2013

She is 450IP. She is also a very easy to use ADC compared to people like Ezreal. She is the most played champion for people new to AD's.

Taarki

01-02-2013

she actualy isnt that bad, and it only takes mabye 2-3 wins to get her, while it takes lots of games to get the other adc (exception of sivir, but not many people like her)