Help my Poppy pop

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Mikkir

01-02-2013

I went 1-3 tonight in normal blind games. The advise really helped and I managed to do relatively well in 3 of the games, even though 2 of those were losses. Itemization is still a huge pain in the butt because build order has been a sticking point, but at least I'm making some headway with actually playing her. Thank you guys for all the help.

And if you have any other nuggets of wisdom I would still appreciate it a lot. <3

Kirielis

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-03-2013

She actually gets a ton of +damage from sheen, less so on the other parts of tri, so if you're not doing too hot and need some damage mitigation, grab null/negatron/chainvest after your boots upgrade and sheen. I'm actually thinking iceborn would go very, very well on her...we'll see! But yeah, for AD Poppy the only real core item in S2 was triforce. You could do anything you wanted after that and still do well as AD Poppy.

On boots: build to mitigate damage based on lane phase, or if you're doing exceptionally well, every version of Poppy actually uses sorcs awesomely.

Lord Puppy Fury

01-03-2013

I'll piggy back on what Kirielis said about Sheen. As an early game champion who needs to get out of that early game phase ASAP, experiment with which components give you the most value. For example, you don't have to complete a major item, which is really expensive, if you can get more survivability, utility, or damage from a couple cheap parts and then turn them into their full items later.

Mikkir

01-03-2013

So for another generic question how many survivability items should I be building during a game? It doesn't take reading the general discussion very much to get discouraged building armor items (bc + lw threads everywhere it seems) which leaves me wondering if I should bother with armor and just focus HP items (warmogs, Rylai's, Rod of Ages, or frozen mallet as appropriate)?

Magic resist is a lot more situational because I haven't been running into a lot of high damage AP people. If I fight a Master Yi or Teemo I need to keep an eye on what they're building (AP vs AD), but often there's only one person with decent magic damage on the opposing team, and it seems like hp stacking may be better.

Another question has to do with what the sheen builds into.and the spellblade unique passive. Because trinity force, lichbane and iceborn gauntlets all have the spellblade unique passive, but all 3 are different, which one actually triggers if you had all 3? Not that I'm planning on building all 3, but I'd just like to know if I planned on building two.

I'm also trying to fiddle with my builds so I can figure out what items should be in my pool of potential items. Problem is most of my games are decided before I get much built, so it's hard to really judge how well things work. A great example is Liandry's torment, it looks good on paper, especially because it will get most of the damage in because of the devastating blow timer, but I can't figure out if it's actually viable (seems like it would need Rylai's to be really epic). And DFG looks good also, but I'm not sure if it really adds more than a voidstaff. Just too many questions, and I really don't get to test things out.

Giggidi

01-03-2013

Good afternoon Mikkir,

What I think you have to understand about poppy is she is by far the Hardest champion to lane with if you are still practicing, I would recommend someone who has a shield or range to them. Poppy is an amazing hypercarry however considering how much skill it takes to properly farm with her early to mid game I would recommend someone like Nasus riven irelia teemo cait those are nice starter champions to learn with. What you could also do is jungle poppy again hard at start but very effective mid to end game hope this helps happy gaming!

Excuse my grammar I posted this on my iPhone
Giggidi

Giggidi

01-03-2013

Also don't forget the awesome item known as "Wriggles" provides damage life steal armor and a ward great item no matter which lane you are in or jungling.

Giggidi

Giggidi

01-03-2013

Remember everything in this game is situational and it all depends on you and how you play items like maw and wriggles are amazing for a champ like poppy and you could also go wriggles -> TF -> warmogs -> atmas but it depends on whether you play poppy like an assassin or a Tanky bruiser the build above is my preferred poppy build with hextech or other life steal/ DMG items. No matter how many builds or guides you look at it won't matter until you know and become comfortable with how you play your champions.

Giggidi

Mikkir

01-03-2013

Does the lifesteal on wriggles work with devastating blow? I thought that only spell vamp worked with magic attacks, or does this magic damage auto attack do something goofy?

And I know that poppy isn't really the best champion to learn on, but I really like her because she looks awesome, and I think her kit is interesting. And has a hammer called whomper. And, when she's in her Scarlet Hammer Poppy skin, has more armor on her pigtails than many girl champs have on their entire bodies *looks @Janna*.

Ryios

01-03-2013

Poppy has one of, if not the, worst early games of any champion in lol. She can't farm very well because she has no aoe abilities and a slow/weak auto attack. You last hit by basically waiting for your minions to get one of their minions low enough that you can kill it with one auto attack. And doing that you take haras from the enemy.

Poppy vs 2 in top (they have no jungle) is just a bad spot to be in. Stay back under your tower, if there getting your tower then your jungler is not doing it's job and it's probabbly gg right there, not your fault.

Poppy doesn't farm minions, poppy farms champions. Assuming you get a good match (they have a jungle) and it's 1v1, be aggressive. Farm near a wall and try to get them close enough to a wall that you can run them into the wall and smash them with q, once you land 1 champ kill and start building a sheen, poppy hits HARD, she hits so hard late game (fed decently) that she can darn near 1 shot many Carriers.

Her ult also makes her a good tower diver. Ult, flash in, get the kill, walk out.

Really, with poppy it's about surving the laning phase and cashing in on mid/late game.

I started off playing her a lot as one of the cheaper champions in the game, but slowly realized how much I hated having a **** early game and started playing Riven as my Main Solo Top (before darius came out).

TehJackAttack

01-03-2013

woops wrong thread.