Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Test me for ranked.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Prodigal Hobo

12-31-2012

I was wondering, as everyone does, if i was ready for ranked. I only have 140 wins under my belt, but i often feel like im trying to carry every game i play. I have done dozens of draft pick, I can play top, jungle, adc and support champions (with at least 2-3 champions for each role), I know how to last hit, check the map, ward, counterpick (a little), counter build, and how to help someone else snowball. I was wondering if I should just dive into ranked, but then i thought that maybe it would be better if someone else had a look at how i played and told me what they thought I should do - play more normals, learn to do this or that, or just start playing ranked.

So, I propose that someone join me on the NA server and play 1 or 2 games with me and tell me what they think of my playing. I also have to wonder if anyone else has ever asked this because I have never seen a thread like this before.

TL;DR? IF you have played a fair bit of ranked, play a game with me and tell me if you think I am ready.

adc

12-31-2012

How about this - I've played 2500-3000 games of League, mostly Draft (2500~ of them draft), and I struggle to consistently carry games at 1450~ Elo.

Prodigal Hobo

12-31-2012

And yet my friend had less than 600 normal wins and easily carried himself to 1500 elo. Normal wins aren't always indicative of skill.

adc

12-31-2012

My point was that you probably won't be experienced enough to do well with the few games you've played.

Also, I'd bet it wasn't "easily". He probably didn't get there in 3 days, and if he did he's either an outlier or extremely lucky.

Prodigal Hobo

12-31-2012

Quote:
AD Bottom:
My point was that you probably won't be experienced enough to do well with the few games you've played.

Also, I'd bet it wasn't "easily". He probably didn't get there in 3 days, and if he did he's either an outlier or extremely lucky.

And this is why I want to play with someone experienced to tell me if they think i could consistently NOT feed in ~1200 elo. I dont want to instantly get to 1600+, i just want to consistently play with people around my skill level and have a measure of how much I am improving.

adc

12-31-2012

Well then go play ranked. You'll quickly drop, if you need to, to the Elo you're supposed to be at.

Prodigal Hobo

12-31-2012

And there is the problem; I don't want to get dropped too far if I AM that bad, because everyone has heard the hordes of players complaining about how hard it is to carry themselves out of "elo hell". My opinion of "elo hell" is that in order to carry yourself out of say the 1000~ elo range, you would have to be around 1200+, good enough to carry the team basically by yourself. If i was to get to 1000 elo, I would want to slowly work my way up, not stay there until I am good enough to carry then shoot upwards. But that might just be me.

I think that in a few hours I am just going to dive into ranked and hope I don't plummet.

adc

12-31-2012

If you're a 1k Elo player and you play at 1k Elo, then you improve to 1.1k, you'll slowly climb up to 1.1k. You won't shoot up.

Prodigal Hobo

12-31-2012

Quote:
Prodigal Hobo:
And there is the problem; I don't want to get dropped too far if I AM that bad, because everyone has heard the hordes of players complaining about how hard it is to carry themselves out of "elo hell". My opinion of "elo hell" is that in order to carry yourself out of say the 1000~ elo range, you would have to be around 1200+, good enough to carry the team basically by yourself. If i was to get to 1000 elo, I would want to slowly work my way up, not stay there until I am good enough to carry then shoot upwards. But that might just be me.

I think that in a few hours I am just going to dive into ranked and hope I don't plummet.

"My opinion of "elo hell" is that in order to carry yourself out of say the 1000~ elo range, you would have to be around 1200+, good enough to carry the team basically by yourself. If i was to get to 1000 elo, I would want to slowly work my way up, not stay there until I am good enough to carry then shoot upwards. But that might just be me."

What I mean is that even if you slowly develop at 1000 elo, until you have developed a fair bit you won't be able to singlehandedly win more games than you lose. I'm not saying that I would gain 200 elo in 10 games, but that i might spend 50 games at around 1000 and then in the next 30 shoot up to 1100.

wrsthnsatn667

12-31-2012

To speak to you less condescendingly, just keep in mind that Ranked games are harder to carry than normals. People in normal queue are mostly there to have fun, but people in ranked are often butthurt. How you play is hardly half of the game.

What you say is almost more important sometimes. People in ranked are looking to troll and ruin your day. You have to not let them get to you, and you have to be careful with what you say, as the wrong thing will set someone off. Even something as simple as "You should do this if the same scenario happens again", someone who is very naive and immature will take it as "You're f*cking terrible, go die" even if you're just trying to help. It's often best to just say the necessities of "mia" and "Focus X in teamfights" and just NOT talk.

With 150 wins, unless you only have like 200 total games played, I'd recommend some more practice. You really want to get a feel for one lane and even fewer champions. You also want to be more flexible in the lower Elo range. Have the ability to do other roles, but make sure you have a primary preferred role, as few people are GREAT at every role (Elementz is someone who does well at all roles). If you play few roles and even fewer champions, you get a better feel for the game and playstyle of that role and champions.

Final thing, DON'T FRET. People will piss you off, don't let it get to you. That just makes your playstyle worse. If you get all racked up over a game, take a break. Go play Borderlands or some other game that you can kill a bunch of **** and have fun in to calm yourself. Even if you win, if your nerves are all jacked up (not in a positive way) then take a break. This helps to ensure you keep consistent. Even if you don't notice it, any stress affects your gameplay both big and small, but it adds up. Even minor mistakes are still mistakes.

Good luck to you!