Beginners tips for Akali?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Cutiecat88

12-31-2012

The only character I really know how to play is Ashe so far, but I just bought Akali as I want to learn a more melee-based hero.

However, I feel like I'm getting dominated every time I lane against range heroes. My Q doesn't do much damage and I end up experiencing costly tradeoffs that aren't really worth it, and I miss on last hits too. Does anybody know how to counter this? I know this isn't really specific to Akali, just melee heroes in general, but I could use some help.

Also, does anybody know a good beginner's item build to use with Ashe? Preferably one that accounts for a little room for mistake? I'm decent at last hitting but far from perfect and with my laning versus range woes I feel like I'm lagging behind.

Cutiecat88

12-31-2012

Bumppppp

doomed2death

12-31-2012

Ashe: Boots + 3 pots
1st back: 2 Doran's Blades
2nd back: BF Sword
3rd back: Bloodthirster and Beserker's Greaves
After that: Infinity Edge, Phantom Dancer, Last Whisper, Guardian Angel

THat's a cookiecutter build that works on ALL ad carries and the rushed bloodthirster's lifesteal leaves some room for error in engaging.

For Akali... Whoooo that's a big load haha...
First off, avoid engaging until level 6. use your Q to gain last hits
Also, you'll need specific runes and masteries for Akali.Namely 10+ AD from level 1 on for sustain and otherwise, AP and Magic Penetration.
Once you hit lvl 6, Hit them with Q, wait for Q to get off cooldown, R to them, E, Q, R, attack, attack, R, Ignite if you have to. That should burst down a large majority of ranged champions. Obviously the attack pattern changes with some champs, especially those with CC but that's more or less the attack pattern.

Also, don't forget about your W in engages! If you do end up in exchanges, your W increases your armor and magic resist, allowing you to take more punishment. Also, staying invisible can reduce damage taken while you attack in small bursts of Q+E, invis, rinse and repeat. The spellvamp from your passive will also make these encounters far less challenging. Also, if you rush a hextech revolver, it'll save you a lot of health.

Sea Monsters

12-31-2012

Melee champions without a reliable way of gap-closing/initiating tend to struggle against ranged champions. Strategies for dealing with these situations vary greatly depending on which melee champion you're playing.

In the case of Akali, you will probably be bullied by ranged champions if you are under level 6. Use bushes and your smoke shroud early on to stop them from attacking your or hitting you with targeted abilities. Shroud will be especially helpful, allowing you to pick up some farm with relative safety. Dodge skillshots/aoe. Harass/last hit to the best of your ability with q, but don't go over aggressive trying to get the proc (just settle for what little damage you get).

Once you hit level 6, wait a little for your ult stacks to build. Your burst is quite high at this point so you can switch to being aggressive and go for the kill.

Hasuobs

12-31-2012

First, Ashe build
1. Boot+3 Pots
2. Berserker's Greaves
3. Doran's Blade
4. B.F. Sword
5. I.E
6. Phantom Dancer
7. Bloodthirster
8. Last Whisper
9. Mercurial Scimitar

On Akali, try to farm up until you hit 6, then start to dominate your lane and harass and all that