Domination 500: The Dominion Shoutcast

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Yes Maam Kablam

12-31-2012

Hey guys, I'm going to be a little less formal in the thread than I will be on GD, because most of you have some familiarity with who I am and most of you frankly aren't my target audience.

Long story short, I (like many other players here) am tired of the bad rap that Dominion gets among non-Dominion players. In an effort to showcase Dominion, generate interest in non-Dominion players, and educate beginning Dominion players, I'm going to shoutcast a series of games. They will be analytical and instructional in nature, and focus on piecing together how high elo Dominion players think and act so everyone else can start to climb up to that level. What I'd like for input from the Dominion community's side is mainly two things:

1. Criticism about the information I drop in my casts. I'm aware that I'm not the best player in the community, but I genuinely believe I understand enough about the game to educate people. That said, I'm only one person and my opinions will always be subject to debate. If you feel that anything I say is so out of line that it needs to be corrected, please tell me so we can have a discussion over it. Misinformation would actively undermine the mission of the series, so I need to be able to talk to other high level players about the information I'm spreading.

2. Submitting high level replays. I'd really like to alternate between analyzing high level and low level matches, and while I have a few sources for the latter, I need more for the former. I do have a few objectives I'd like to meet when featuring high level replays: Dominion specific builds (i.e. AD Malz, tank Lulu), characters that are generally unviable in SR (i.e. Fiora, Karma), and bot lane carries. However, none of those are required when submitting, so if you think you have a game that's particularly interesting for any reason, please send it in.

That said, here's the episodes. Check them out and tell me how you think I can improve:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWtYf...#39;s Dominate (DD in-house feat. a bunch of you that I don't feel like listing)

David12596

12-31-2012

19:50...and that is why you take Gar. I'm in the ELO that everyone takes revive, but they don't understand the power of Gar.

I disagree on the storm shield comment though. A shield+bonus damage every 4 seconds is pretty huge at any stage of the game and is really worth fighting over for it (if we have too with the enemy team)

wolferer

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-31-2012

(disclaimer: I didn't watch the whole video)

You need to focus on two things:
1) Who is your audience?
2) What are you trying to show with the video?

Currently, you cover everything. It takes 10 minutes before you even show any gameplay. You will lose focus of your viewers doing this. Additionally, it does not vibe with what you said the audience is (players who are new to dominion). If you are trying to convince someone to try dominion, I don't think you should be discussing what champions do for 10 minutes (hint: people already know this from playing SR).

If the purpose of the video is to shoutcast a game, get on with the game. Do a play by play and rewind/pause crucial moments to explain what is happening. Try to be entertaining. If a player makes a mistake, explain why you think it is a mistake (this is a good time to pause, so that you can get the point across before more stuff happens).

If your goal is to be instructional, you need to focus on one small thing you are teaching. For instance, alternate strategies to use when your team can't take the windmill. In this case, don't talk about how they got in that situation.

Personally, I think a good topic is covering how to use certain champions in dominion. People often have champions they enjoy playing, but the nature of SR can make it hard to play that champion often (only one champion of a certain role per team). This can also help point out how a lot more champions are viable in dominion. I think one of the best ways to win people over to dominion is to show them that they can play their favorite champions almost whenever they want and do well.

Yes Maam Kablam

01-04-2013

Got episode 2 recorded and uploaded. I didn't do any better on the getting to the action faster front, but third time's the charm, right? Also, this is the same replay as the pilot episode so consider this the pared down version (that's all of 15 minutes shorter): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwJXlWD3QmY

Volandum

01-04-2013

Please show KDA. Toggle the gold/items occasionally to see how well farm is going.

Link the GD thread so we can promote it?

EDIT: You forgot to mention in video 1 that kat ganking fiddles inflicts grievous wounds.

Yes Maam Kablam

01-04-2013

Good points on both counts. It's annoying that point capture is the default stat in spectator mode - obviously, we all understand that it's more important than KDA, but spectators don't really care about parsing that. I'll make a habit of switching to KDA at the start of every match.

Link to GD thread: http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=2960097

Also a link to the most recent reddit thread, if any of you guys cares to upvote it: http://www.reddit.com/r/leagueoflege...ckcapping_and/

kelidus

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-04-2013

I watched about 2 mins of the first one. I gave up because I couldn't hear you. I literally turned my speakers up to the max and could still barely hear your voice. You need to turn up your mic for your recordings imo. ><

Yes Maam Kablam

01-04-2013

Unfortunately, that's as loud as my microphone goes. I did do some audio gain, but I'll try to turn it up even more next episode.

KaaaBLAMO

01-04-2013

I watched the 2nd video and I didn't have any issues hearing you. I like what you're doing. Dominion is a fun game mode and we should spread the word!

As far as things to improve, I agree with the KDA display thing.

Captures and Neutralizes are more important for victory, but they're not interesting to look at. As somebody else mentioned, less intro at the start would be good IF the purpose is to encourage people to try out Dominion. Those lengthy explanations of things would be better suited in a training video for somebody who has already committed to trying Dominion and is new to it.

Higher Elo replays would be welcomed as well. I think a lot of people thing Dominion is boring/easy/etc.. Higher level replays would show that the game is (IMO) more intense than SR and has a high level of skill involved as well. Maybe focus on showcasing key decisions that champs have to make - Do I try and help a fight or attempt a backdoor? Do I have time to cap this point before reinforcement show up? etc. You mentioned opportunity cost in regards to item builds, expand on that point with decision making. Time is more valuable since the game is shorter, and so what you decide to do with your time is, in a sense, more important than on SR.

Anyway, very good videos overall.

KaaaBLAMO

01-04-2013

Oh, and I like your name :P.