Which role should I focus on?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

FuschiaNoise

01-01-2013

I am having trouble finding a role that I'm truly good at. I am wondering which role might play to my strengths which are:

Strategy and positioning.
Capitalizing on opponent's mistakes.
Map awareness.

And does not require as much my weaknesses which are:

Reaction time.
Knowing "when to commit".

Another thing to note is, I generally do badly in lane, but do well when teamfights start happening.

Also any champions you could suggest would help as well.

TeknoWizard

01-01-2013

Well, it seems like an assassin with a reliable escape and good burst would work rather well on you. I guess mid Fizz would probably work well on you. If they over extend/step out of position, you can just dash in, hit them, then jump right back out. Plus, Fizz is a really strong laner with good ganking potential. So if you do poorly in lane, you can generally just roam, set up kills, and start the team-fight phase early than usual. Ahri could also work rather well. Again, if hey step out, just drop an E-W-Q combo on them. And if you do end up commiting when you shouldn't, you got a great escape with your R.

Generally, I'd say run an assassin in the mid lane.

Duhizy

01-01-2013

id put you in the jungle, i feel like at a high level the lack of reaction time as adc will cost you games, you would also be strong with mid laners that are highly mobile, as tek said, assassins would do you well in the mid lane. imo however i feel like as a jungler you would do best regardless of the champ.

FuschiaNoise

01-01-2013

Thanks for the replies, after reading them I decided to try nocturne jungle since he's free this week, and man I might not be doing all that great so far, but it's very fun, and very fitting to my style with being able to jump into the fight from a distance. I just farm jungle until i see an opponent doing something silly, then jump on his face from halfway across the map haha

Ive never played fizz, so I'll have to give him a shot sometime as well when i get the chance. If he's anything like nidalee I'll probably enjoy playing him.

Qsario

01-01-2013

If you have good map awareness, try support? Call MIA on all lanes, not just bot. Help your jungler time objectives. Be aware of enemies lining up combos and be ready to interrupt them with your CC if you have any.

Granted, good reaction times will always help. I main Janna and those clutch shields are awesome. I have it set so that E+Z/X/C/V shields ally 1-4 allowing me to quickly shield in a teamfight or in lane, at the cost of not being able to smartcast E (because E is just normal spell 3 & Z/X/C/V are target ally 1-4). But being able to predict enemy action is great for cutting people off with tornadoes and remembering to save CC to stop people like Nunu is important.

Lord Puppy Fury

01-01-2013

Most importantly, keep trying champions. Even if you don't like someone, given them another look a few weeks later. Your champion(s), the one that just clicks, will find you.

I recently had a friend who was getting frustrated and switching roles. I told him to just keep experimenting. When he found his champion (and, by extension, role) he would know. A few days ago, he tried Dr. Mundo in the jungle, and now he is absolutely in love. Take advantage of free week champs. If you have a real life friend who owns different champs than you, see if they'll let you borrow their account. Keep checking things out, and eventually you'll find what you're looking for.

Next, after you find a champion who feels natural in your hands, look for champions that are similar. For example, Zyra is My Champion. I get her on some freaky deep level. When I started looking for additional champs, I went to the LoL wiki (which is an EXCELLENT resource). For champs with similar low cool downs, I looked at Annie and Ryze. For a champion that's mechanically similar, I looked into Lux. I discovered I adore Annie and Ryze, but am abysmal with Lux. So for me, I now know I like low cool down mids with some sort of hard CC. Once you know what you like in a champion, you'll have an easier time knowing who to pick up and who you won't excel at.

All that being said, the strengths you list are ones I rely a lot on in mid lane. Don't ignore other roles, but you may want to do some investigation there.