Teach Me How To Itemize

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

iPewPewUqueque

12-28-2012

Build for the lane or cookie cutter builds?

Sup guys, I was hoping someone would be able to help me out, I haven't been playing league for that long, still a little bit of a noob and just now starting to ponder the deeper questions of how to win at this game.

My ultimate question here is... what do I buy from the shop and when do I buy it? So far the only insight I have into items are guides created by other people telling me what items to buy and in what order, but there must be a more successful, thought out path to buying gear.

I guess I can say I main adc bot lane, so a pretty standard build for me looks like start boots 3 pots or long sword 2 pots if I think I can win early lane, (something about move speed I dont understand that makes not buying boots first viable), a dorans blade (nerfed?), starting Infinite Edge, add a Vampiric Scepter and then Phantom Dancer, and then an armor pen item. But what's the reasoning behind these items? Why IE then PD and does the vamp scepter really offer "sustain" whatever that means.. 2 health back every time I auto attack doesn't seem to make a huge difference.

What if I'm losing my lane? Do I continue to buy cookie cutter AD items or can I make certain purchases to counter my lane opponents and increase my odds of surviving in lane? What items are cheap/gold efficient counters vs items I shouldn't bother building

I find myself losing out on AP mid lanes or top lanes more so than bottom lanes, so any advice on how to counter a losing mid or top lane would be appreciated too.

TL;DR How do I figure out what an items purpose is, determine how well it accomplishes this purpose, (in itself and comparatively to other items), how well does this purpose suit my needs, and if it will be beneficial to myself/my team? Also what's the reasoning behind builds and what items are most standardly beneficial to ADC, Support, Mid, and top and why?

Thanks in advance.
Happy Gaming =)

Kensai07

12-28-2012

Basically if you are not stomping your lane Doran's are good to help you catch up (Pretty big early boost)

Starting Boots3 or Sword2 is good generally. This is because it gives you extra HP from pots. The "Idea" is to stay in lane as long as possible and on first B make a big purchase that will make a difference. If you are not stomping the lane and need survivability going B early and getting a dorans or vamp or a combination.

The idea behind IE Before PD and others (Or Blood thirster, which I suggest if you start sword+2 since you are +400g closer and have sustain) is because your skills are based off of AD. This makes skills hit harder as well as making last hits easier.

Generally guides are good to follow in a perfect (as in exact setup the guide was written for) and are generally useful. If you are losing lane, tailor items so that your early game is stronger, but remember as you invest more in early game to not get destroyed, it is delaying your late game.

The idea is to get to "late game" as fast as possible as an adc.

Aemon Darkstar

12-28-2012

Itemization isn't all that complicated once you get the hang of it.

In regards to playing AD: your basic goal is damage, obviously. Boots and 3 pots is a common start when you want the pots to have sustain so that you stay in the lane longer, the extra movespeed in case they have a dangerous ganking jungler (e.g. Lee Sin, Maokai), and/or if they have the abiltiy to engage on you and you need the movespeed to engage/disengage. Sword/2 pots is the start when YOU have superior engaging ability, damage and/or burst (e.g. you're Ezreal with Taric, or Corki with Leona, etc.). The pots will give you some sustain to recover from exchanges, and the sword is a big boost.
Doran's blades are bought in one of two scenarios in lane: you're either a bit ahead (to get further ahead) or a bit behind (to try to cover the disparity). In both cases, it will boost your power a little bit due to the extra AD and the health, and help you out in exchanges. If you're STOMPING your lane however, it can be a better idea to simply go Zerker Greaves (for obvious reasons), Vamp Sceptre, and BF sword.
Why IE (or Bloodthirster) first? Because, simply put, you need damage. If you're Ez or Corki, you can substitute that for Sheen IF you're in a burst lane comp (e.g. Leona/Ez is burst). Bloodthirster provides the highest possible AD you can get, and since the slight nerf to IE's AD and improving the build path for BT (Sword->Vamp sceptre), people have been favoring rushing BT more. Attack speed and crit chance are the secondary requirements for an AD carry. What point of attacking faster if you do pitiful damage? This is why AS and crit are prioritized second. Phantom Dancer is obviously one of the key items for this, as it provides both, as well as movespeed.
Note that certain AD carries can scale off AS alone, and so go for Runaan's instead. Think Vayne or Kog'maw. Since both of them have lethal on-hit effects, you will often see them rushing it, sometimes with only a Vamp sceptre and 2 doran's for AD (this should normally only happen when they have a damage booster or heavy CC on their team, aka Janna, Ali, Taric, Leona, etc.) because their on-hit effects can make up for it.
On the flipside you have certain carries like Corki or Ezreal who may not even go in for AS/crit chance seriously because they're basically AD casters (they have powerful abilities that scale off AD, with short CDs). So you'll see them getting items like Bloodthirster, Trinity Force (for it's proc), or Iceborn Gauntlet (for it's proc as well), and simply getting even MORE AD after that.

Regarding top lane: Now solo lanes are very, very different from playing AD carry. For one thing, you don't have a support baby sitting your ass. If you're dumb, you and you alone will pay for it (and pay for it you will). Counter picking is ESSENTIAL in top lane. If you're going to go something stupid like Tryndamere vs Teemo, or Irelia vs Darius, you are 99% going to get your ass served to you on a platter. Try your best not to pick your top before the enemy picks theirs, and if you HAVE to, pick a champ that's tough to counter (e.g. Jayce, Kennen, Kayle, Vlad, etc.)
Regarding itemization, counter building is much much more important in a solo lane. An AD carry's priority is damage, and only after they have obtained at least a respectable amount of that do they go in for specific defensive items (e.g. Mercurial Scimitar, or Guardian Angel). In a solo lane, since you're probably playing a bruiser, you're gonna have good base damages anyway, so you can afford to (and are encouraged to) buy defenses earlier. For armor, Ninja Tabi, Glacial Shroud (or Iceborn if your champ uses it), Frozen Heart, Randuin's, Zhonya's there's so many options. Vs auto attackers, Tabi and Shroud into say Frozen Heart can be pretty good, or Randuin's. If vs a magic damage top (like Rumble, Vlad, Swain, etc.), getting an early Hexdrinker/Maw of Malmortius, Mercury Treads, Abyssal Sceptre, or even Chalice depending on your champion can be really good.
Solo lanes also give you the option of building GP10 items, because solo champs tend to be gold dependent. Again, GP10 can be sort of like the Doran's blade of top lane, same concept applies.
Specific items for different champs vary on how they work. E.g. Rumble has insanely high base damage values and tends to do huge magic damage. Getting early magic pen for him, along with health/resists, makes him amazingly strong. So something like Sorc Boots, Haunting Guise/Liandry, Rylai's work pretty well on him. Jarvan on the other hand is your conventional AD bruiser. Build him up a Black Cleaver or Bloodthirster for straight damage, Hexdrinker/Maw or Triforce for some damage and tankyness, or stuff like Randuin's and Bveil for straight meatshield. Top laners must build according to their team's requirements (e.g. I once actually built Crucible on GP because I had used Chalice for MR in lane vs Rumble, and later they kept diving our AD so I had to find a way to help him).
Mid lane I won't say much, because i don't play it much, except that it's sort of like a combination of top and AD. You need damage to do your thing, but the concepts of solo laning still apply.

Sorry for wall of text critting for over 9000 @_@

Azellos

12-28-2012

I think darkstar gives good advice, i'd just like to add that it does vary game to game.

For example, i play ezreal quite often. He always wants to get a sheen. Usually you upgrade that to a triforce for great poke+damage, but sometimes it's a better idea to get a frozen fist on ezreal. Here's why: Frozen fist gives AWESOME kiting ability (every Q slows them, plus it gives cdr), and it gives you the sheen effect to a lesser extent (off base attack damage instead of total), and most importantly it gives you a decent chunk of armor to help you stay alive.

In a normal game, i will go triforce. But lets say the other team is weird and has an ad mid, ad top, ad bot, and ad jungle... that's a situation where i am building armor early, and i am building armor throughout the game (because it will be so cost effective for you). That's a time where frozen fist is good. Basically, what i'm getting at is that your builds are commonly affected by your team comp and your opposing team comp.

iPewPewUqueque

12-28-2012

Aemon Darkstar you are awesome.

iPewPewUqueque

12-29-2012

bump

Kirielis

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-30-2012

Aemon mostly covered it. As ADC you almost always keep on building for damage (exception you need a QSS and you need it NOW) and rely on positioning to keep yourself out of trouble.

As for items. Basically you think about what stats and effects does this item have, and how does it help me (and my team)? Look for the guides which explain this stuff.

NefariousNomad

12-30-2012

Nice info

I'm no pro but ill sometimes start armor and pots or MR and pots.... just more sustain early lane.

doomed2death

12-30-2012

Aemon gave some great role-specific tips but for a more cookie-cutter approach, you can always just look at your champion.

Well first off, look at your skills!

Ezreal's Q, for example, procs on hit effects which means that having on hit effects might be useful. However, items like Wit's End and Malady utilize too much attack speed which Ezreal doesn't need and don't deal all that much damage. However, Trinity Force, on the other hand, deals massive damage and can be added to your Q. So naturally, you'll want to build that. Especially since the slow can be utilized as well, Ezreal really benefits greatly from Trinity Force.

Corki is another example of a triforce user. Why? His R is quite spammable allowing to utilize multiple instances of Trinity Force's passive throughout a fight. Furthermore, the Mana gain helps to solve his dismal mana pool issues and the HP gain helps his survivability. Like every other champion, he can benefit from a bit of CC (the slow) and can also use the bonus MS. As a carry, the attack speed and critical strike chance as well as the AD bonus helps.

Ryze, on the other hand, would benefit greatly from a Tear of the Goddess because his skills gain power based on his maximum MP. So naturally, the build path would involve a massive amount of increases to his maximum MP. Rod of Ages, Frozen Heart, Archangel's Staff, Manamune, so forth. Now, his ultimate grants spell vamp for sustain; Ryze could actually use that in a fight and perhaps increase it so a Will of the Ancients is a situational build for him if he really needs extra sustain (that means he isn't being burst down in a fight but he's taking significant damage.)

So forth... Look at skills. Where do item abilities and hero abilities overlap (and the stacking become useful)? Examples: Ammumu/Mundo with Sunfire Cape or Jax with Trinity Force. Where do items benefit abilities? Examples: Ryze with Frozen Heart or Ezreal with Trinity Force?

Next, is to consider your role.

Are you an AP Carry? Your role is to serve up a massive amount of burst damage. So, naturally, you have to increase your AP to increase your burst damage. That's why Deathcap or Zhonya's are so popular. Of course, since you deal magic damage, magic penetration (Haunting Guise, Sorc Shoes, Void Staff) will also be great.

Are you a Bruiser? Your role is to serve up burst damage-similar in role to the AP Carry. So, you need AD. What items give the most AD per cost? Bloodthirster. But since you also deal physical damage... Black Cleaver and Last Whisper are great items.

Are you an AD Carry? You need massive amounts of sustained damage-naturally AD but also attack speed and critical chance. Infinity Edge, Phantom Dancer, BloodThirster, so forth.

Are you a tank? You need sustain. Warmog's, Spirit Visage, so forth. Whatever increases your HP and your MR and you Armor.

Are you a support? Your job is to make everyone else on your team stronger. And to keep up vision. So, naturally, sightstone, Aegis, Zeke's, Crucible, so forth.

Don't forget being an off-tank! Many Bruisers second the role of being a tank, and while cannot sponge as much damage as a fulltime tank, can still build quite a bit of survivability.

Next, consider your weaknesses. But while you do, make sure you can still fortify your strengths while doing so.

Ezreal, while being a very strong damaging champion, has very low survivability. So, to remedy that, he might get Bloodthirster to lifesteal (increasing sustain) while maintaining his very high damage. He also has no CC but Trinity Force grants him a slow. Also, he's countered by stacking armor so a Last Whisper will allow him to maintain his high dps to the late game.

Veigar suffers similar problems but 2 more: He has a dismal MP pool and he's a 1-shot wonder with atrocious cooldowns. Athene's Unholy Grail grants him AP (which, due to his Q farm, he doesn't need quite as much of from items as other AP Carries ), Cooldown Reduction, and a massive increase to his MP. Zhonya's grants him armor and temporary invulnerability which help his survival issues.

So forth.

Finally, consider what your opposing team is doing and how that's stomping you.

Get Doran's Ring/Blade/Shield if you're falling behind in farm and kills and you desperately need to catch up.

They dealing too much Magic damage and bursting you down? Get a Hexdrinker, Bulwark (as support or tank), Spirit Visage, Abyssal Scepter, so forth. Make sure your support/tank gets an Aegis for the team.

They dealing too much Physical damage? Get a Zhonya's, Bulwark, Randuin's, Guardian Angel, etc.

They move too fast? Try a Phantom Dancer, Lich Bane, Trinity Force, etc.

They get away too easily? Try a Rylai, Randuin's, Frozen Mallet, Trinity Force, Youmuu's Ghostblade, Shurelya's, etc.

And so forth. Always, always counter whatever opponents are killing you often and you'll do well.

And remember, every game runs differently; reading a guide only gives you a cookiecutter build but keeping in mind how the game goes, you might have to change. (Switch out that Infinity Edge for a Maw of M...something :P for now since that Katarina is giving you trouble).

iPewPewUqueque

12-31-2012

Thanks for the info guys. Really helpful!