Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

[Game][Critical] Text is either missing or shows up as boxes

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

DistortedFart

12-31-2012

Hello all, there's a problem I've repeatedly encountered while I play on PBE. Every game I seem to start in PBE, the text continually shows up as boxes (in the chat bar and scoreboard) or not at all (when I mouse over skills, the text just doesn't show up). This only occurred after the latest patch on PBE.

It doesn't allow me to communicate with the rest of my team or even see what the other team is typing in /all chat. My teammates can see what I'm typing when I type in the chat bar, but it seems the bug is only affecting me in the game (I've told my teammates to repeatedly ping me if they could read what I was typing, and they did). The boxes also show up where the text is supposed to be in the shop and it doesn't allow me to read what im purchasing, and when I type into the search bar in the shop, no items show up either.

Is anyone else getting this? I tried repairing the client already but it didn't fix anything. Any suggestions on how to fix this?

P.S. how do i make the pictures bigger? they're kinda small when i click on them and i want to make it bigger so others can see the pictures clearer

Mr Strong Idiot

12-31-2012

Have you tried to repair the game?
If you haven't go start the game launcher, then click on the cogs sign, and press repair.

ooop. my bad. i didn't read that you already tried to repair. =(
You probably need to reinstall the game then.

Bidorr the Great

12-31-2012

I've seen things like this before, on both live and PBE, but it was only in chat, and then only in what someone says, not in their name or text that is fixed in the game.

I always assumed it was either people typing in non-roman characters that the game couldn't handle reproducing, or that I just didn't know how to type that myself.

I agree with killer, first priority should be uninstall the game, make sure all files for it are deleted from your computer, then re-install. I personally like to restart the computer both after uninstalling and after reinstalling, but idk if that actually makes much difference.

Bidorr the Great

12-31-2012

and by "restart", i mean shut down, wait 30 seconds, then start again.

DistortedFart

12-31-2012

Alrighty, ill try that when i have a chance and i'll see what happens then

vLemon

QA Analyst

01-02-2013

Hey DistortedFart, let us know if you still get it after repairing/reinstalling. Are you playing in english or another language?

DistortedFart

01-02-2013

Hiya, vLemon. I've already repaired it, but it didn't change anything. I'm reinstalling it right now, so I'll see where that takes me.

And I'm playing in english

vLemon

QA Analyst

01-02-2013

If you still get it after reinstalling, can you upload a r3d log from a game you played where you experienced the issue, and your dxdiag?

Instructions on how to get those here (https://support.leagueoflegends.com/entries/20076987-league-of-legends-logs).

DistortedFart

01-02-2013

Success! After reinstalling it seems the problem has went away. Thanks all!