In-Depth HOW TO: Install League of Legends in Wine on 64bit Linux (100% Functional)

12345678 ... 12
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Tiggum

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-09-2013

What exactly are you doing to prevent the out of game store from crashing? I'd heard it crashes now because of the gifting tab.

theEyeD

01-09-2013

Well I heard the gifting tab isn't in the game anymore since the new patch (after christmas), and I just followed the instructions listed here: http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=1946188

For me it just gives me the blank page, and is it the script that makes the store work?

EDIT:
After doing some research I found out that you shouldn't run things in wine using root or sudo, so is there any way of getting around the whole store issue without using that?

DantesRequiem

01-12-2013

So I have been doing a lot of work porting some of my favorite current games to Linux. Spurred on by Win8 and Valve...but anyway. In my installing of GW2 I started playing with Play On Linux and noticed that there were several wine releases that listed "League of Legends" which I can only guess as to it has some mods for stability regarding League...

So my question is: Can anyone compare Play On Linux vs. this method?

captainkraft

Recruiter

01-13-2013

I've gone through the steps (aside from optimizing fps) and I'm still having problems running the game.

Most of the time, after running the shell script, my patcher gets stuck at "verifying files." After I close it a few times and open it back up, it might go through and allow me to login.

I tried testing the game in a custom match but the game crashes as soon as I open the shop to buy my items.

I've also started fresh, installed ie6 via winetricks and forced wininet, but those changes did not help. I also tried both Windows 7 and Windows 8 via winecfg.

TinDaDragon

01-14-2013

Hey there,

Thanks for the guide.

I am able to run League. However, later in the game, I get all the graphics bugs.

How can I fix this?

Pepomint

01-16-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainkraft View Post
I've gone through the steps (aside from optimizing fps) and I'm still having problems running the game.

Most of the time, after running the shell script, my patcher gets stuck at "verifying files." After I close it a few times and open it back up, it might go through and allow me to login.

I tried testing the game in a custom match but the game crashes as soon as I open the shop to buy my items.

I've also started fresh, installed ie6 via winetricks and forced wininet, but those changes did not help. I also tried both Windows 7 and Windows 8 via winecfg.
The launcher getting stuck at "Calculating Differences" is normal - nobody's really found a solid fix for that yet, but at worst it's an inconvencience, as it lets you in after a few client restarts.

Re: the in-game store crashing - did you complete Step 5 in OP's guide? With a vanilla wine installation (without running this script or patching wine's source), the in-game store crashing is expected behavior due to the new item textures.

Pepomint

01-16-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinDaDragon View Post
Hey there,

Thanks for the guide.

I am able to run League. However, later in the game, I get all the graphics bugs.

How can I fix this?
With recent versions of wine, many have seen graphical bugs when running in Windows 7 mode. For me and others, switching to Windows XP via winecfg solved this. This particular guide recommends Windows 8, which I haven't tried yet - it may or may not behave more consistently for you.

Graphical glitches due to winecfg versions have always started immediately for me rather than getting worse as the game progresses. I have occasionally run into glitches that get worse as the game goes on, and those are most likely caused by unstable video drivers. I need to reboot to "clean out" my ATI card every so often, otherwise behavior can get unpredictable (using proprietary drivers). Updating to the newest stable driver version may help, otherwise try rebooting before playing and see if you're still having issues.

TinDaDragon

01-16-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepomint View Post
With recent versions of wine, many have seen graphical bugs when running in Windows 7 mode. For me and others, switching to Windows XP via winecfg solved this. This particular guide recommends Windows 8, which I haven't tried yet - it may or may not behave more consistently for you.

Graphical glitches due to winecfg versions have always started immediately for me rather than getting worse as the game progresses. I have occasionally run into glitches that get worse as the game goes on, and those are most likely caused by unstable video drivers. I need to reboot to "clean out" my ATI card every so often, otherwise behavior can get unpredictable (using proprietary drivers). Updating to the newest stable driver version may help, otherwise try rebooting before playing and see if you're still having issues.
Hey,

Thanks for replying. I got it working as of now.

However, with the new patch, I can't even get above 30FPS. The Vi patch allowed me to go 60 with no problem.

Sand79

01-18-2013

Thanks, Sk8rjwd! Great guide! Even though that's because it's the farthest I've gotten to getting a working LoL on linux.

DISREGARD EVERYTHING AFTER THIS:
I got it to work by clicking on the sh file instead of running it in the console. I thought it would be better to run through the console to record any logs, but it appears to work better by using the graphical window manager to run the file.

DISREGARD THIS:
However I'm stuck with something confusing. I followed the guide successfully until I got up to the 'Run it!' step, where the sh script seemingly runs fine (had a missing wldap32.dll problem, then it was fixed through the instructions), but it ends up hanging without any window popping up.

The trace logs seem to constantly output:
race:ntdll:NtReadFile (0x20,(nil),(nil),(nil),0x53e478,0x53e52c,0x000000 10,(nil),(nil)),partial stub!
trace:ntdll:NtReadFile = SUCCESS (16)
trace:ntdll:NtReadFile (0x20,(nil),(nil),(nil),0x64e878,0x111a90,0x000000 08,(nil),(nil)),partial stub!
trace:ntdll:NtReadFile = SUCCESS (8)
trace:ntdll:NtReadFile (0x20,(nil),(nil),(nil),0x64e878,0x1122c8,0x000000 30,(nil),(nil)),partial stub!
trace:ntdll:NtReadFile = SUCCESS (48)
trace:ntdll:NtReadFile (0x20,(nil),(nil),(nil),0x64e878,0x64e92c,0x000000 10,(nil),(nil)),partial stub!
trace:ntdll:NtWriteFile (0x20,(nil),(nil),(nil),0x84e718,0x111bc8,0x000000 1c,(nil),(nil))!
trace:ntdll:NtWriteFile = SUCCESS (28)

and end up with a hang after a few hundred of them.

Looking up through them gives a few warning logs:
warn:ntdll:NtQueryAttributesFile L"\\??\\C:\\windows\\system32\\%1.dll" not found (c0000034)
warn:ntdll:NtQueryAttributesFile L"\\??\\C:\\windows\\%1.dll" not found (c0000034)

which are repeated a few times before going back to the constant traces.

I'm still new to linux and wine, and have no idea if these are important or not. If someone knows how to bypass the hanging I'm getting, it would be appreciated. Just tell me what logs I need to post from where, or remark at how I may have forgotten to complete a step.

edit: I don't know how I missed it but it seems HeXaG0n had a fix for that, even though I don't understand what he meant by "export my lol wineprefix". I'll just google up what that might mean.

IFoundKim

01-22-2013

Hi I followed your old instructions but I can't find the file to place riot games into, how do i access it?

12345678 ... 12