In-Depth HOW TO: Install League of Legends in Wine on 64bit Linux (100% Functional)

1234567 ... 12
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

weekendbowyer

01-02-2013

Solved it! I needed to run:
winetricks --force wininet
with ie6 installed.

update:
it's worth noting that current performance is not that hot. i used to run guild wars 1 in wine a few years ago and i saw maybe a 25% slowdown. in winders i get 60 fps at max graphics settings, while i get 20 fps with similar settings. reducing settings to minimum (besides resolution adjustment) increases fps to 27-30 fps. anyone have suspicions about what the biggest culprit might be? i wouldn't mind getting my hands dirty if optimization involved LoL-specific stuff. i noticed color blind mode alone grants another 5 or so fps.

to anyone else following this guide: you might want to install wininet after you install ie.

Sk8rjwd

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-03-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by weekendbowyer View Post
Solved it! I needed to run:
winetricks --force wininet
with ie6 installed.

update:
it's worth noting that current performance is not that hot. i used to run guild wars 1 in wine a few years ago and i saw maybe a 25% slowdown. in winders i get 60 fps at max graphics settings, while i get 20 fps with similar settings. reducing settings to minimum (besides resolution adjustment) increases fps to 27-30 fps. anyone have suspicions about what the biggest culprit might be? i wouldn't mind getting my hands dirty if optimization involved LoL-specific stuff. i noticed color blind mode alone grants another 5 or so fps.

to anyone else following this guide: you might want to install wininet after you install ie.

I'll add your solution to the OP. Thanks!

Sk8rjwd

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-03-2013

Added two known bugs and their fixes. I'll do some research on FPS optimization.

Sk8rjwd

01-03-2013

Added some 32 bit optimization under step 6b and added two known bugs

Commando125

01-05-2013

I get an empty chat when I play games. I can see their names, along with the timestamp, but their chat text dissapears. Does anyone know how to fix this?

EDIT: To buy champions in the profile page (since the store is very buggy), make sure the wininet library is set to native in the winecfg settings.

BWMerlin

Recruiter

01-06-2013

Just want to thank you for the guide. I have LoL running under Lubuntu 12.10 64bit and while my frames are in the toilet (30 FPS if I am lucky and this probably more has to do with the nvidia drivers) it is better than no LoL. It would be awesome if Riot would come to the party and release a Linux LoL client.

Feyz0r

01-06-2013

When i'm starting lol.launcher.exe i got "could not connect to the http server. Please check that your internet connection is enabled and that your firewall is not blocking access.

weekendbowyer

01-06-2013

about step 6b: it looks like it's a multi-core optimization rather than a 32-bit optimization, no? you're explicitly running LoL on your first processor (1 = p0 according to man pages). what kind of speedup do you see? if anything, wouldn't you want to run it on an alternative processor by passing in, for example, 8 to run it on your fourth processor? in binary 8 = 1000 so if i'm reading this man page correctly, that's what the number args mean. am i interpreting correctly?

theEyeD

01-08-2013

I followed the steps listed for getting the store to work, but then whenever I try to run the launcher .sh it says I don't own the .wine directory (I'm running Ubuntu 12.10 x64 Wine 1.5.20). Everything else works just fine, such as the in-game store, if I just run the .exe using Wine, just not the Champion and skins store. Any ideas?

Sk8rjwd

01-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by theEyeD View Post
I followed the steps listed for getting the store to work, but then whenever I try to run the launcher .sh it says I don't own the .wine directory (I'm running Ubuntu 12.10 x64 Wine 1.5.20). Everything else works just fine, such as the in-game store, if I just run the .exe using Wine, just not the Champion and skins store. Any ideas?
Google how to set permissions in Linux and make sure you set the script to executable.

1234567 ... 12