Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Should there be a variation of maps in Summoner's Rift?

Yes 78 82.11%
No 6 6.32%
Don't care 5 5.26%
F*** off 6 6.32%
Voters 95 .

Anyone else tired of the same old green Summoner's Rift

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SergeantGrumbles

Recruiter

12-30-2012

I understand some players believe it would throw many people off a bit, but I really don't think anyone would be thrown off by it. I'm not talking about making completely different maps, it would still be the same Red buff, Blue buff, Dragon, and Baron, just re-skins of the map as a whole.

I'm also not talking about removing the current Summoner's Rift map, I'm just asking for a variety of maps in the rotation along with the current.

It would be a lot easier on the eyes. Personally, I would play a lot more if there was a change in what I'm looking at. It's sorta like watching the same episode of a certain T.V. show 1,000 times. It gets dull.

As for taking time and money
Sure, it would take time and money, but any good company knows that they need to spend money to make money. I'm sure I can't be the only one who feels like the greenness of Summoner's Rift is just becoming too dull to continue playing. I'm also sure some people have left the game after hundreds or thousands of games solely because they are tired of looking at the same screen for hours a day. This would bring those old players back. There can't possibly be any negative consequences by giving players a change of scenery. The only complaints people had about the Holiday Map was that it caused them to lag. Well here's some news, the old Summoner's Rift did the same thing, which is why they re-skinned it to begin with. There is always optimization that can be performed to have the least graphical impact on computers that are sub-par.

Nay Sayers
Now for you Nay Sayers who are going to reply "Go play Dominion". This applies to Dominion too. It's the same map, over and over. I do play it sometimes, but it's not the same. I like destroying the enemy Nexus, not winning by capturing flags and waiting for the enemy to run out of resources.

But I like new champions
The items, champions, and skins are nice, but there are a ton of champions already, with only one map per game mode. It just doesn't seem like that big of a task for a company as big as Riot to perform. If the developers play their own game, there has to be a possibility that some of them feel the same as I and many others do.

They already changed the Twisted Treeline map
I know they changed the 3's map not too long ago, but they completely changed it. Now the old map is no longer in the rotation, it's things like this that I don't understand since I used to play a lot of 3's. I was happy to have the new map, but again, it got old because they completely removed the old one. In my opinion they should have left the old one along with the new one.

Edit: Been seeing posts about this every day, figured it's time to bump. Vote guys, for or against, just do it.

cambeck722

12-30-2012

ikr it is really boring same old thing

SergeantGrumbles

Recruiter

12-30-2012

Bump

Dynoglory

Recruiter

12-30-2012

In past years they've had themed maps, such as the halloween and winter maps, but since the graphical update they havent had resources or time to develop them agian.

Shadowed Ruby

12-30-2012

No, I can't say I am. Too busy enjoying game play that works well with map colouring and design.

Tucking Sits

12-30-2012

I would like to see some seasonal maps. Shouldn't be too budget/time consuming for them to do.

SentinelOfPain

12-30-2012

Here are some pretty good reasons as to why they don't add new maps:

1.) It would split the player base.

Queue times would be horrendous with the addition of just two other maps. We already have normals (blind AND draft) and ranked/ ranked team. Then there's TT (blind and draft) and DOM (blind and draft) not to mention custom games like the proving grounds.

2. It would be really hard to balance.

Have you ever been to the TT forums? "Darius OP, pls nerf! Singed is God mode pick him or GG! I just can't beat this Teemo!" And before the remake, "Man, Tryndamere is so OP, he can spin through so many walls! Singed is God mode pick him or GG! Riven so OP can't kill her. Darius is anti-fun toxic trash!" Of course, these were bad players but if you analyze these characters they DID have a very significant advantage in threes. True, they weren't unbeatable, but you would have to try a LOT harder.

3.) Ranked

If you make a new map people WILL want ranked for it. How do I know this? Look at DOM. Hardcore DOM players have been asking for ranked since the time it came out. Have they gotten it? No.

4.) Maintenance

Riot will need to hire more people to maintain and improve the maps, or the overall progress of improvement for the other maps will be slowed.

5.) Player learning curve

League is one of the most demanding games as far as player skill and teamwork go. If you add ANOTHER map, that adds a whole new level of play, understanding, and depth. Even if you had the exact same objective as SR but you made it a 4v4 or you made it a 2v2 or a 6v6 the game would be totally different. Even if you had a 5v5 but the map is a different shape it would be totally different. If you had a free for all map 1v1v1v1v1 the game mode would be drastically different than the others.

There, those are 5 pretty good reasons as to why new maps aren't necessarily the best idea.

Falox

12-30-2012

I think he meant visual reworked maps and not maps that are entirely different...

Tucking Sits

12-30-2012

Quote:
SentinelOfPain:
Here are some pretty good reasons as to why they don't add new maps:

1.) It would split the player base.

Queue times would be horrendous with the addition of just two other maps. We already have normals (blind AND draft) and ranked/ ranked team. Then there's TT (blind and draft) and DOM (blind and draft) not to mention custom games like the proving grounds.

2. It would be really hard to balance.

Have you ever been to the TT forums? "Darius OP, pls nerf! Singed is God mode pick him or GG! I just can't beat this Teemo!" And before the remake, "Man, Tryndamere is so OP, he can spin through so many walls! Singed is God mode pick him or GG! Riven so OP can't kill her. Darius is anti-fun toxic trash!" Of course, these were bad players but if you analyze these characters they DID have a very significant advantage in threes. True, they weren't unbeatable, but you would have to try a LOT harder.

3.) Ranked

If you make a new map people WILL want ranked for it. How do I know this? Look at DOM. Hardcore DOM players have been asking for ranked since the time it came out. Have they gotten it? No.

4.) Maintenance

Riot will need to hire more people to maintain and improve the maps, or the overall progress of improvement for the other maps will be slowed.

5.) Player learning curve

League is one of the most demanding games as far as player skill and teamwork go. If you add ANOTHER map, that adds a whole new level of play, understanding, and depth. Even if you had the exact same objective as SR but you made it a 4v4 or you made it a 2v2 or a 6v6 the game would be totally different. Even if you had a 5v5 but the map is a different shape it would be totally different. If you had a free for all map 1v1v1v1v1 the game mode would be drastically different than the others.

There, those are 5 pretty good reasons as to why new maps aren't necessarily the best idea.

I think the thread is based more around map reskins rather than newly designed maps. Such as a snowy version of Summoners Rift for the Holidays, or a Halloween themed map for (obviously) Halloween.

Escondimorcho

12-30-2012

Maybe a similar map. But within a city context. With alleys, a river and bridges. Instead of a jungle, some suburbs will be good. Almost the same but with a different look. That would be good.
Also if they include new maps that will be more than welcome.
Maybe a new "suvirval" game mode (human vs COM) would be great too. Some map where your have to protect your base, while it is invaded by huge hordes of minions. And instead of fighting the same champions all the time, you fight against all of them. First you fight against 5 champions, until they killed. Then they are replaced by another group of 5 different, and so on. Each wave of champions should be better geared. The game last until base is destroyed, and you earn points according to the time you were able to protect it.
Just some ideas.