What Makes a Jungler a Jungler to Riot?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

seductiveasian

12-30-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by CertainlyT View Post
In Darius' case, I regret including an attack speed slow on Crippling Strike and making Hemorhage damage type magic. I did these things as last minute reactions to concerns from our live designers about his viability (at the time, Draven would just 1v1 him even in the rare case that Darius could get to Draven and Darius was considered hard countered by cloth+5pot starts). I should have just designed him in a way that was logical and let our player base figure out where and how to best use him.
The only problem I see with his passive is it scales with 0.3 bonus AD, which makes it very very strong when the stacks come up.

Iink to the past

12-30-2012

Quote:
And yet both are completely viable in lane. The OP seems to be suggesting that a champion "for the jungle" is one that cannot be played effectively outside of the jungle.
Never really saw Nocturne lane being viable, and Shyvana is played more often than nocturne in lane.

MrGutWrench

OneTobi

12-30-2012

If Phreak uses it in the jungle with Tri-Force, then yes, it's a jungler.

TurtleSmurph

12-30-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalgolem View Post
Lately Riot has been sticking most of their new champions in the jungle (Vi, Elise, Zed) but none of them are really made for the jungle. I think the last champion that was actually made to go into the jungle and not a lane was Skarner; and since him, every "jungler" Riot has released has been simply tossed into top or mid lane because they are more useful there (Rengar, Diana, Kha'zix). Is Riot just missing the mark on trying to make a viable jungler or are they simply trying to give junglers more options?
are we forgetting sejuani and nautilus?

Metalgolem

12-30-2012

Quote:
And yet both are completely viable in lane. The OP seems to be suggesting that a champion "for the jungle" is one that cannot be played effectively outside of the jungle.
I am not suggesting that. I am suggesting a champion like Udyr, who is very strong in the jungle but has the option to go top, and the champions that are being released lately are typically top lane champions that can go to the jungle.

JoanTheDark

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-30-2012

Quote:
Hecarim, Nautilus, Sejuani, Shyvana all belie your statement.

As to making champions "for the jungle", I am not sure why a designer would even accept that as a goal. Champions that can function in multiple game roles are healthier champions, since more people can access them and explore their abilities in a variety of contexts.
>Proceeds to nerf AP Janna into Morrowind so people stops using her mid.

CertainlyT

Champion Designer

12-30-2012
11 of 20 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nataffinity View Post
if thats the case how come

characters like soraka, sona, janna, taric havent really been buffed to allow them to play other roles

instead they are almost always told to play support if a player picks them. If they do not want to they are told by teammates no thats a support character you're a troll etc.
Allow me to clarify: I favor champion designs that can function well in multiple roles. Once a champion's abilities are set, it is very hard for the live team to tweak the numbers or re-design abilities so that the champion can work in different roles. Take Janna: With a 0.8 AP ratio shield and the ability to insta-clear waves from 1700 range, it's difficult to make her a compelling addition to the League as a solo laner.

Felaedor

12-30-2012

Quote:
Allow me to clarify: I favor champion designs that can function well in multiple roles. Once a champion's abilities are set, it is very hard for the live team to tweak the numbers or re-design abilities so that the champion can work in different roles. Take Janna: With a 0.8 AP ratio shield and the ability to insta-clear waves from 1700 range, it's difficult to make her a compelling addition to the League as a solo laner.

I'd posit exactly the opposite. With how strong instant wave clear is, it'd be difficult to make her a compelling addition and NOT make her capable of solo laning.

Teemo Support GG

12-30-2012

Quote:
Ahhh the days of solo lane janna are not missed xD
Or soraka for that matter -.-