What Makes a Jungler a Jungler to Riot?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

xX iRust

12-31-2012

What about shaco his a great jungler but his suppose to be an assassin but doesn't do that much damage compare to other assassins(which was stated in the spotlight that his an assassin), so the optimal build is to build him as a bruiser was he intended to be like this?

NotBuzzJack

12-31-2012

Speaking of Shyvana, her popularity dropped just as hard as Diana's. Unlike the other junglers, the new itemization actually hurt her quite a bit. Phage got more expensive, Wriggles lifesteal went down, and attack speed overall became more expensive.

What do you guys plan to do in order to bring Shyvana back in line?

Vanadi

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-31-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarizard View Post
It's also important to note though that supports aren't just made for the lanephase - a lot of AP carries absolutely love AP + Movement speed - Lulu's kind of got something for everyone, no matter what stage of the game or character class you are. Pix for Ad Carries, Ult for Initiators, Whimsy for Mages...and then of course the offensive cases.

I remember when she came out people were like OMG LULU EZ OR KOG CAUSE AP RATIOS and then everyone realized 'wait why am i not maxing glitterlance'.
Her W is barely used for the speed buff or ability power though. It's way too strong as a disable in teamfights to be used for the other roles. The movement speed has situational uses but as a pure ap buff its useless. I would probably say it's lulu's worst designed skill because there is no real choice in how to use it. Disable the guy jumping in your team, or give my mage some crappy ap buff? Yea lot's of choice!

Stryfer

12-31-2012

A Heart of Gold.

MissingNick

12-31-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karma is a View Post
They said with jungle remake they wanted to open doors for amount of champs that could jungle...but...yeah
Jungle Leona has gone from molasses to impossible
Irelia gets melted
Kayle gets destroyed
Pantheon...lulz
Wukong..etc...etc...
I played Wu jungle yesterday. It wasn't hard at all.
He CAN sustain in jungle with red buff, but he has poor ganks untill lvl 6 or a phage.
Surely they are not picked in competitive play, but it doesn't mean "he can't jungle" (he is not the best at it, its just that).

Gixia

12-31-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotBuzzJack View Post
Speaking of Shyvana, her popularity dropped just as hard as Diana's. Unlike the other junglers, the new itemization actually hurt her quite a bit. Phage got more expensive, Wriggles lifesteal went down, and attack speed overall became more expensive.

What do you guys plan to do in order to bring Shyvana back in line?
I've found my games as Shyvana have actually gone better ever since the S3 changes. Her jungle clears somehow feel even faster than before, or at the very least the same, while others have gotten slower. As a result, Shyvana's one of the few champs who actually feels that 'increased jungle gold' that was the original intent of the jungle changes. Things got more expensive, but the gold she gets has increased to make up for it. Or at least, it feels like it has. Also, buying a Sightstone on her gives only a little bit less health than buying heart of gold did, but saves her much much more gold in the long run (assuming you were a good jungler and bought wards). By the 7 minute mark with a machete start, I'm usually level 6 with boots and a sightstone, my opponent's jungle buffs are warded. And that's with no ganks. If I get openings to gank, I'm usually doing even better. But even if I don't get any kills, I'm just running around, blazing through camps and just waiting for them to go near their blue/red so I can ult over the wall on top of them for a surprise kill and steal, and then I just snowball from there while shutting down the opposing jungler at every opportunity.

The only thing I'm sad about when playing Shyvana in S3, is that I used to buy old Black Cleaver on her for the combined AD/AS/Armour Shred, all good stats for her. Now that Black Cleaver doesn't give AS anymore, the only AS/AD option is Zephyr, which is alright I guess? It allows me to buy Ninja Tabi instead of Mercurial Treads against teams without heavy AP/with a lot of AD/auto-attackers, but it doesn't have as much AD as I'd like, and gives no armour pen/shred. I can still buy new BC too of course, but having to buy two items to get the stats I wanted is not as optimal as the all in one package I got from old BC, and forces me to sacrifice something else from my build that I would prefer not to. It's annoying that there are so many AS/Crit options, but only one AS/AD item. Also, not being able to get the 8% magic pen mastery kinda sucks too. 4% CDR was easier to justify then AP per level, and the large amount of damage burnout does over the course of the game made a bit of magic pen good on her.

SteveTheePirate

12-31-2012

Hey Guys lets talk pirate for a second.

What has become of Gangplank this season? He is rarely seen in the jungle and can not be played top lane versus most match ups because of the influx of new champs and mobility creep.

I have mained Gangplank since his release and never has he been in such a bad position as now. He is labled as a Melee carry but even with farm he cannot carry. In fact none of the champions labeled as carries who are melee are even played in high elo.

Is there a future for melee carries? or even be usefull? Is there a future for our beloved pirate?

THANKS

Henry Plainview

12-31-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by CertainlyT View Post
Yes, I know the live team is not happy with Udyr's state. Season 3 was not kind to him, and slow resistance has not proven as helpful as anticipated. We are fortunate to have access to two live deisgners who play Udy at a near professional level -- jungle and top respectively -- so I am very confident in their ability to put him in a good spot. That being said, Udyr is hard to balance because he is *extremely* team dependent. Given the right opponents and the right teammates, he completely takes over the mid game. I believe the Nami champion spotlight shows a pure terror Udyr dominating a game on a team with the CC to support him and an enemy team lacking in lock down.

As to a bunch of posts above -- keep in mind that my position is not that every champion needs to have extreme flexibility in the role they play, only that making inflexibility a goal is.... bad.
Well I'm glad to hear that, but seriously, who plays a team without CC and kiting potential anymore, regardless of whether they know Udyr will be on the other team...

turulHAARP

12-31-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by CertainlyT View Post
Hecarim, Nautilus, Sejuani, Shyvana all belie your statement.

As to making champions "for the jungle", I am not sure why a designer would even accept that as a goal. Champions that can function in multiple game roles are healthier champions, since more people can access them and explore their abilities in a variety of contexts.
The problem with this is that Sejuani can't function in any lane.If your definition of jungler is that.

netkitten

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-31-2012

>What Makes a Jungler a Jungler

oh how many roads must a man walk down before you call him a man :3